THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old May 19, 2005, 8:56pm   #1
MikeDiaz
Doyle Look-alike

MikeDiaz
Default Books

I'm about half way through Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold Em. So far I've not learned much of anything new (However, I do find rereading a lot of the info is helpful) any ideas on what book I should pick up after I finish this one.

I've been playing for about two years, mostly NL HE due to that being played at pretty much every home game I've ever gone to. At some point I'd like to branch out and play other games but I don't presume to have become an expert in HE yet; as a result I'd like to continue to place my focuse on NL HE.

I'm doing really well in the home games and taking some lumps as I enter the world of online poker. So if you guys got any suggestions on NL HE books I'd love hear from ya.
MikeDiaz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 20, 2005, 2:37am   #2
MikeDiaz
Doyle Look-alike

MikeDiaz

whoops, just a thread like this on another page. My bad, sorry.
MikeDiaz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 6:53am   #3
scottqrt
Brunson

scottqrt
Send a message via MSN to scottqrt
Default books

I read the Warren book as well, and feel the same. Good basic stuff, but I disagree with how he plays some cards. I read Hellmuth's Play Poker like the Pros and got way more out of it. I just picked up Super System 2 and it seems really good.
Old May 20, 2005, 7:30am   #4
BadBeatBasti
BadBeatMod

BadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really nice
Default Re: books

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottqrt
I just picked up Super System 2 and it seems really good.
A friend of mine started reading it too and said it is very good!
Old May 20, 2005, 9:33am   #5
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

As noted elsewhere, the NL SS section was written with high buy in '70s road games in mind, so not all of the ideas will apply to smaller stakes internet games.

Also, players are now very familiar with the loose aggressive style championed by Brunson, and the better players know how to counteract it. Some of the advice is still great, though: the sections on pocket pairs/trips for instance.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 6:16pm   #6
Elizabeth
Grinder

Elizabeth
Default Re: books

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottqrt
I read Hellmuth's Play Poker like the Pros and got way more out of it.

Carefull with Hellmuth's advice on Limit. It's really weird. In some ways....very effective....in other ways very dangerous.

I think it would be good for beginners headed to Vegas not wanting to waste too much money and give themselves plenty of chances to win. It'd be nice for someone who needs help being more aggressive with strong hands and learning some basic player types.

But for someone who really wants to learn to play an good Limit game and make educated decisions, it's WAY oversimplified.

Elizabeth