THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old May 17, 2005, 7:10am   #1
MikeDiaz
Doyle Look-alike

MikeDiaz
Default Just started playing online

Hey, I just started playing online at pokerroom.com and am already about to pull my hair out.

I've been getting killed on bad beats in ring games and doing well in tournies.

37 out of 2400 for a free roll and just missed the money on a five dollar buy in.

Now, I'm not a great player but I'm good enough to know how to play a sound game. In ring games though, I've blown my whole bankroll in a week (50 bucks, I'm a poor college student) and seem to be getting knocked around by people catching runner runner flushes in low limit games. I understand bad luck hits everyone from time to time but as of late it's been insane.

What I'm wondering is this: Is it common in NL low buy in games for people to call on Flush Draws or chasing aces or am I just taking note of it due to the fact that I've ran into such awful luck?

If this is really common place what should I do to further improve my odds of winning (not that I'm usually unhappy with 70%+ shots at taking the pot)

One thing that I think may be holding me back is the fact that I always go to table with around ten dollars in chips and as a result I think I'm catching a lot more calls than I usually would (Since there is less of a chance for me to make the other players sweat) However, with school and books to pay for this ins't exactly the easiest thing to fix. Anyway, sorry for the rant; I'm mostly just steaming.
MikeDiaz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 17, 2005, 8:09am   #2
Jason1
Grinder

Jason1 is on a distinguished road

i play at several sites.. pokerrooms one of them

the lowest ring game there is .25-.50 , being that is the case all the beginners are there... its common to see 6-8 people go to the flop there and being your only sittin down with ten bucks thats not near enough to handle the swings.

my personal advice.

1. go to a different site with much lower limits

2. play much tighter

3. take more money to the table. if your taking ten bucks i would suggest the .5-.10 or .10-.20 cent tables.

good luck
Jason1 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 3:04pm   #3
Hoss Man
Doyle Look-alike

Hoss Man is on a distinguished road

Have you been strictly playing No-limit? If you are being out drawn for runner runner flushes, its because you are not betting enough on the flop when you hit your strong hand. You are giving the other players odds to call you down if you are betting the minimum or only 1/4 of the pot.

If none of this makes sense, you should not be playing NL starting out and should head to low-limit LIMIT holdem so you can build a bankroll with solid play while minimizing your loses to bad beats; and of course learning. Check out the http://www.pokertips.org/strategy/strategy.php page here and read, and then re-read it.

Your "only $10 buy-in" sounds like the minimum for a $25 NL table. That ain't scarin' anybody out unless you go all-in with a strong hand and a scary board for them.
Old May 17, 2005, 7:47pm   #4
MikeDiaz
Doyle Look-alike

MikeDiaz

thanks.

Hoss-
Yeah I've been playing a lot no limit and understnad that I'm not placing enough pressure the other players with my betting (Wish that I could but its hard to knock people out when all you have is a measly ten bucks to play with) I do raise more than most players at the table however going three times the blind pre flop and half the pot if I bet at all. (of course this changes depending on the room, I'll just call a great starting hand if I know no one will call)

Jason-
As far as limit goes I've been playing the .25-.50 and your right, one sees a ton of action on that site. It would appear that at any given time a couple players will call with any two suited cards or any face card just in hopes of catching something. As far as my play, I've been way too loose on limit thinking that some of the guys in the room don't really know what they are doing. (always raising on a flush draw and of course almost always getting called, calling with over cards and so forth) I suppose the main thing I need to change about my limit play is to only play the hands that I know I'm going to win while letting the marginal hands go, i don't know how many people will grow wise to that but with the amount of people going in and out of the tables I'm sure I'll catch a few people who have not noticed.
What other sites do you think I should check out?
MikeDiaz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 12:38am   #5
Tracker II
Fish

Tracker II

I'm new to this forum, but not new to online poker play. The one thing I have noticed about playing online is when I deposit money , good cards come alot. The next time I log in I can't get a damn thing. It is almost as if there is a controllable level of play according to how much money you put into the site. The best way to save money but enjoy online poker is to play the $1 SNG', and the 1$ tourneys, with rebuy if possible. I have made $25 dollars last a month , do to the fact I work M-F and on the week end I have to catch up on all of the crap I didn't do during the week.

My first advice I will give you is get out of pokerroom.com. Even the site reviews say it isn't to be trusted. I took them for 300-380 dollars in BJ and haven't won a damn dime since.

ultimate bet is very repitable give them a try. Keep in mind the same thing appplies, you win with ease when you first put money in the bank but then it gets tough and tedious. GL
Old May 22, 2005, 2:51am   #6
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker II
I'm new to this forum, but not new to online poker play. The one thing I have noticed about playing online is when I deposit money , good cards come alot. The next time I log in I can't get a damn thing. It is almost as if there is a controllable level of play according to how much money you put into the site.
This is a fallacy and a common excuse used by many newbies whenever they experience a bad run of cards.

Quote:
The best way to save money but enjoy online poker is to play the $1 SNG', and the 1$ tourneys, with rebuy if possible.
SNG's in general are pretty difficult to win at consistently, and $1 SNG's are just a waste. Don't bother with them unless you just want some practice.

Quote:
My first advice I will give you is get out of pokerroom.com. Even the site reviews say it isn't to be trusted.
Are you just lying now?

Quote:
ultimate bet is very repitable give them a try. Keep in mind the same thing appplies, you win with ease when you first put money in the bank but then it gets tough and tedious. GL
Extremely misguided.
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote