THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:14am   #1
SuperJon
Flop Artist

SuperJon
Send a message via AIM to SuperJon
Default I'm ready to start playing for real

Ok, for the past 6 months I have been playing for fake money very excessively. I also play a few real home games, usually $100 buy-in. I just got an account at Neteller, and I'm going to deposit some money into my UltimateBet account. I want to start small and try to build up, so my starting bankroll will be $70.

I consider myself a pretty decent player, with my strenghts leaning more towards tournament play. Out of all the freerolls I've played on UB, I usually finish in the "money" about 75% of the time.

I think I'm going to play a few $5 mult-table tourneys, but I would also like to play some ring games as well, because there is more money to be made. What level would you recommend I start at, I'm keen to playing NL, although once my bankroll starts building up, I'll start playing some PL Omaha as well. I want to play at a level where I'm not afraid to lose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
SuperJon est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:59am   #2
vitaltilt
Grinder

vitaltilt

my first advice would be to go ahead and try a 5 dollar SNG and some very low level ring games, but if you do well at low buyin SNGs and MTTs, maybe try that first to gauge how easy/difficult the competition is for you (i'd guess it may not be very difficult).

also, do you want to play Limit ring games or No Limit?

i'm a novice who has played online for 3 months (NL25 at empire/party).

also, check back at this thread since i'm sure someone with more bankroll expertise will post. however, if you want $70 to be your starting bankroll with no intention of adding to it, bankroll rules would rec'd very low levels since you'd want to have at least 10x buyin for NL ring games, and 250x BB for Fixed Limit ring games.

however, if you don't mind reloading your bankroll if things don't go so smoothly, i.e. bad beats, learning when starting out, bonehead mistakes, going on tilt because of the previously mentioned, lol, then go ahead and try something like NL10 or NL25; and/or .5/1 FL.
vitaltilt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:12am   #3
ripwalk
Flop Artist

ripwalk
Send a message via MSN to ripwalk

With a 70 dollar bankroll on UB, I'd say the 0.05/0.1 cent blind tables would be your best bet.

Maximum buy in of 10 dollars.

If you lose your first couple sessions there you can drop down to 0.02/0.04 and try to grind back some money (Max buyin is only 2 there)
ripwalk est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:44am   #4
BadBeatBasti
BadBeatMod

BadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really nice
Default Re: I'm ready to start playing for real

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJon
I want to play at a level where I'm not afraid to lose.
I think this is the key. You need to find a level/limit in which you feel comfortable in. When starting to find your game and limit, rather start at a lower than a higher limit if you can't decide!
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:33pm   #5
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Quote:
I want to play at a level where I'm not afraid to lose.
For NL I'm not so sure about this. If the potential losses don't threaten to hurt you AT ALL, then it's hard to take the decisions seriously. This is the reason so many lower limit players are calling stations.

I don't know what UB is like, though this site regards it as among the toughest. I started playing NL last year at Ladbrokes at 0.10/0.25 (which was the bottom level). I found the variance to be far greater in terms of % of bankroll than when I moved up to 0.25/50 and 0.50/1, due to the proliferation of calling stations at the lower level. My BB/hr is far higher at the 0.50/1 level than it was at the lower levels, and my variance is proportionally smaller.

You sound confident in your own ability. If possible I think you should save up some extra money and skip the wretched bottom level.

Good luck.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:52pm   #6
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

6 months playmoney mode are a waste of time. I would rather have played the 0.05/0.10 than playmoney to gain a little experience.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:53pm   #7
SuperJon
Flop Artist

SuperJon

Thanks for all the comments, as far as my main game, that would be NL. I just registered for a $5 MTT, and it starts in 9 minutes. If I don't get paid out here, I may try a SNG, and some ring games (the .5 -.10).

As far as this being my only bankroll, probably not. $70 just seems like a decent amount for a poor guy like me to start with. If I go bust, I'll just have to wait awhile to reload.

Wish me luck!
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:13pm   #8
BadBeatBasti
BadBeatMod

BadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really nice

Quote:
I also play a few real home games, usually $100 buy-in.
Quote:
$70 just seems like a decent amount for a poor guy like me to start with.
...doesn't fit or do you regulary beat the home games?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:18pm   #9
SuperJon
Flop Artist

SuperJon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBeatBasti
Quote:
I also play a few real home games, usually $100 buy-in.
Quote:
$70 just seems like a decent amount for a poor guy like me to start with.
...doesn't fit or do you regulary beat the home games?
I would play those $100 buy in games without a proper bankroll, therefore I wasn't comfortable and I had to play extremely tight. One night I would win about $500, and then after 2 more sessions I would lose it all.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:54pm   #10
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Another aspect of this is the question of why play at all. As many here now know, I play primarily as a hobby, just as I place bets on sporting events for interest sake and to pit my opinion against that of the 'experts'. My poker account is one and the same as my sports betting account (though the £-$ conversion gets a little confusing at times).

So I deposit £20 a month (about $37 current exchange); that is my allowance. Most months, I'll have withdrawn £25 at some stage and still have left some change to continue playing poker and/or placing small bets. Some months, it all goes and I'm down to playing $1 or freeroll tournys until the next reload. My wife is my accountant and she's just worked out that April-April I made just over 3% in my online accounts. Someone else paid the bookmaker last year.

The point I'm trying to make is that I know that this is no way to build a bankroll from modest means; but to some extent, recreational players shouldn't try, because sooner or later, we'd get our fingers burnt by those whose interest is somewhat more serious. I'm happy and enjoying playing limit ring games at the lowest levels and tournys up to a $10 buy-in. I find that I struggle a bit beyond that, so if I've found my level, that's ok. I've done well enough thus far not to be losing much, and one day (it may be a while) I'll win a MTT which will give me some collateral to try moving up. But I know deep down that rushing up the limit levels would be costly.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote