THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old May 18, 2005, 1:40pm   #1
skeldol
Flop Artist

skeldol
Default how do NL starting hands compare to limit starting hands?

do suited connectors go up or down in value?

i imagine

1. you need even better hands from early position because you could face a much heftier raise than in limit (i imagine only the best picture cards?).

2. pocket pairs go up in value in late position because if you flop a monster you can make more cash on the flop, turn and river.

3. suited connectors playable the most in late postion against opponents that tend to be less aggressive on the flop?

i'd like to try NL but i need the dictionary to translate the limit language i know!!
skeldol est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 18, 2005, 3:51pm   #2
Lindy
Doyle Look-alike

Lindy

http://www.pokertips.org/strategy/nl-primer.php
Old May 18, 2005, 6:13pm   #3
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

http://www.flopturnriver.com/essays_...ps_0_to_2.html
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 5:11am   #4
Lindy
Doyle Look-alike

Lindy

NO Limit is about post flop play. Thats is why the blinds are usually very small compared to the stack sizes

There is a reason you never see any books written by pros that give standard starting hand selection in groups or what not. it is always very vague. This is becise a guy Holding ace ace, could have a pot stolen from Him with nothing but rags, by a well timed and well executed bluff.....

In Limit poker, unless the board is extremmely scary, (at least at the low limits) things like this dont happen every day, In No limit, they happen all the time.
Old May 19, 2005, 4:19pm   #5
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy
NO Limit is about post flop play.
not too sure about that statement...no limit is the only structure in which you can force the game to be entirely preflop for one thing

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 1:33am   #6
Lindy
Doyle Look-alike

Lindy

[/laquote]

not too sure about that statement...no limit is the only structure in which you can force the game to be entirely preflop for one thing

Kc[/quote]

True, But where is the Money made in a ring game (for the most part), By all-in preflops, or by post flop battles.

Preflop raises, reraises, smooth calls etc....are all used to to set up play for after the flop..

All I am saying is an a low limit game...starting hand selection alone can make a just OK player money, or atleast break even.....

I would not say that that that rings true for no limit Poker.....

Opps screwed up the quote
Old May 20, 2005, 7:55pm   #7
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

so, what, you're saying limit isn't about board play? given that the big bets are on the turn and river?

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 1:26am   #8
Lindy
Doyle Look-alike

Lindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy
so, what, you're saying limit isn't about board play? given that the big bets are on the turn and river?

Kc
No that is not what I am saying....I think you know what I am saying...your Bright, so i'll leave it at that....