THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old May 23, 2005, 10:00pm   #1
TackleBoxMurphy
Brunson

TackleBoxMurphy
Default Is this suspicious or is it just me?

Now I have had my share of bad beats, we all have, but something about this just seems kinda odd. OK not a big deal only lost 30 dollars here but here is the situation.

I am playing a 30 dollar sit n go at Pacific, have about 700 in chips.

I am dealt k4 of spades. Flop comes Kd 4c 6d, this guy named huen84 bets about 100 into the pot which is about 300 at the time. I have 2 pair and figure he has a king or wants to see the turn and river to see if he can get another diamond for a flush. So i put him all in for 700. He calls, im thinking ok maybe he has ak, or trips and I am screwed or just wanted to gamble on the flush. Turn comes 9 of clubs, river comes ten of clubs. He had AQ of clubs? Does this sound odd at all. Why would u call an all in with absolutely nothing on the flop except for 1 club.

I consider myself to be a pretty solid poker player and I do well at it so I am not yelling and screaming about this, I am just curious if this seems odd to anyone else out there and if anyone else has had similiar incidents at Pacific Poker.

This is the second incident where I have had something odd like this happen to me there. He could just be a bad player, but seeing as how he plays the 30 dollar sit n gos I would doubt that because if he always played like that he would of lost all his bankroll by now.

I am all ears and look forward to your responses.
TackleBoxMurphy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 24, 2005, 12:29am   #2
Elizabeth
Grinder

Elizabeth

When I heard how much Bill Gates spent on his last house I thought it was ridiculous. Then someone did the math and said that percentage wise, it was the same as if an average person spent something like $40 on a house.

You can never assume that a certain stake in a poker game means the same to your opponents as it does to you. Reckless players come in all bankroll sizes....fortunately!

Elizabeth
Old May 24, 2005, 3:22am   #3
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default Re: Is this suspicious or is it just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleBoxMurphy
I consider myself to be a pretty solid poker player
yet you played K4s...

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 5:01am   #4
TackleBoxMurphy
Brunson

TackleBoxMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy
Quote:
yet you played K4s...

Kc
I posted this for positive replies and any information or ideas that someone would have about the situation. Not to be flamed on by someone that has no idea who I am or how long I have played poker or what my skills are. I was under the impression that these forums are here to educate and inform as it says in the forum rules. Judge me if you will but keep it to yourself friend. And yes i did play k4 suited as it only cost me 20 chips to call. Thank you for your deragatory and useless comment.
TackleBoxMurphy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 6:32am   #5
Jason1
Grinder

Jason1 is on a distinguished road

bud... that was EXTREMELY tame as to what people use to say here.... and i must say in reading that stand alone thats nothing at all man.

you say its "odd" for this person to call with absolutely nothing, well,.... techincally you called with absolutely nothing too.... that guy might have put YOU on nothing and guess what ?.... he was right ! he probably figured his AQ was good.

you calling with "only" 20 chips is a waste of your chips. how man blinds do you jusitfy calling with cheap calls ? add them all up in a game and see what you get... save the cash for when you got hands. not only is it a waste in cash but it puts you in painful situations having weak kickers... also what if you hit your nut flush and all in and lose to the guy who kept A9 suited which is actually a decent callable hand, then you flip cuz you got beat with a king high flush... this isnt 5 card draw or stud, its hold'em. its a different form of play.

so to answer your question, the only odd thing i see here is the fact you justify calling with K4 cuz its cheap and you call yourself a solid player. so do i see anything odd with his play ? simply put, no.

you cant expect us to critique this when your play is bad begin with. its like trying to build a house on rotted wood. you need a strong base first
Jason1 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 10:40am   #6
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Notwithstanding that the runner-runner club was unlikely and unlucky, I have to side with Kc and Jason here.

You called 20 chips with K4s? Fair enough if you are prepared to get out, and fair enough if you flop the nuts. But none of this makes sense.

a) How can the pot already be at 300 if it's a 20-chip cheap flop to see?
b) How or why can two-pair K4 be an all in when there are at least 4 pocket hands worthy of his 100 bet (KK, K6, 66 and 44) all of which have you licked big time.
c) How, if you are so ready to play K4s, can you yourself not show any sign of having considered what his 100 might have represented?

My biggest weakness at the moment if failure to give sufficient time and thought to what the opponent might have - note not what the DO have, but what they MIGHT have. You seem similarly afflicted. I simply don't understand why you would put your tournament life at risk in such a relatively weak position.

I can't explain his calling your all-in; none of us can. But you don't seem to have given any explaination as to why your putting him all-in makes sense in the first place. Until you do so, I'm afraid that claims of being a 'decent player' are going to fall on deaf ears.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 12:13pm   #7
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy
Quote:
yet you played K4s...

Kc
I posted this for positive replies and any information or ideas that someone would have about the situation.
What for positive replies did you expect? "Man, you got badly beaten by a dumbass, I can feel your pain" ?

And when it was a simple good call, why do you get all pissed, instead of just stating what the situation was, in a kindly manner?
You get instantly defensive on the first little critisism, that's wierd if you feel selfconfident about your play.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 2:17pm   #8
Hoss Man
Doyle Look-alike

Hoss Man is on a distinguished road

P-A-C-I-F-I-C P-O-K-E-R, say no more.

I don't want to sound mean, but you won't find any sympathy from folks on this site when it comes to online poker conspiracy theories.

What if the other player had AKo, KQs, KJs or KTs, or worse K6o, and hit his higher two pair or boat on the turn or river? Would this still be a case for project blue book. Probably not.

Most of the "pro/shark" posters here have played thousands and thousands of hand an have been on both ends of many a bad beat/suck out.

As for playing K4s. Why??? Were you in the BB and saw it free? Other than that, stay away. Sure you flopped two pair, but you have NO kicker if the board pairs.

If you're still not convinced, I would seriously suggest playing some limit holdem to cheaply appreciate the true NON-Value of Kxs, Qxs. If you stick to playing these at NL games, your gonna lose ALOT of money.

PS
If you consider that post a Kill Crazy flame, then you're in for quite a ride...
Old May 24, 2005, 2:47pm   #9
Elizabeth
Grinder

Elizabeth

You probably made a bad decision before the flop. He made a bad decision on the flop. In the long run it helps to start with the best hand. When you do, you often back into winning hands by making hands (like flushes or better two pair) that beat the weaker hands.

Quote:
And yes i did play k4 suited as it only cost me 20 chips to call.
Can you see now that it cost you a lot more?

Good luck!
Old May 24, 2005, 6:03pm   #10
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

I'm a reformed character. I've seen the light. No longer will I reply to posts such as this with advice about avoiding clairvoyant opponents and sites that have a "RiverMe" flag on their player database etc etc.

No, I just won't do it any longer.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote