German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old May 24, 2005, 1:27pm   #1
Anonymous
Doyle Look-alike

Anonymous is an unknown quantity at this point
Default just a few questions

i want to improve my texas hold em no limits
1) does playing limits improve your game??
2) can playing other poker games help improve your game??
3) if so which ones?
Anonymous est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 24, 2005, 9:29pm   #2
TwoGun
Administrator

TwoGun has disabled reputation

If you want to improve at no-limit hold'em, you should probably just focus on playing that.

By playing limit hold'em, you may develop habits that are bad at no-limit. My advice is to figure out which type of game you want to play and try to improve at it.
TwoGun est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 6:46am   #3
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Limit and no limit are very different;but the basic ideas of :play selection;pot odds;position;player observation are the same.It's better to play micro limit no limit until you really can read and properly bet the cards,also a lot of pros to to micro limit when they're tilting-so one can face good players.

Low suited connectors and suited gaps are not very good cards in no limit and its better not to play them unless you're throwing people off by varying your play. Go here for real advice on no limithttp://www.flopturnriver.com/essays_...ps_0_to_2.html
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 8:04pm   #4
WRXfanboy
Flop Artist

WRXfanboy

Great link Snaggle.

I thought it was a good read.
Old May 27, 2005, 9:46pm   #5
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive
Send a message via Yahoo to weknowhowtolive

i completely disagree that low suited connectors arent very good. Maybe not in longhand, but when you're playing short or heads up, they jump WAY up in value. heads up, if you have a suited connectors and need one card for your flush after the turn, the chances of your opponent also holding 2 of the same suit is low.
weknowhowtolive est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 9:51pm   #6
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Quote:
Originally Posted by weknowhowtolive
i completely disagree that low suited connectors arent very good. Maybe not in longhand, but when you're playing short or heads up, they jump WAY up in value. heads up, if you have a suited connectors and need one card for your flush after the turn, the chances of your opponent also holding 2 of the same suit is low.
Noooooooooooo.
SH favours high cards over drawing hands. Suited connectors are best in LH games, where you're getting better pot odds to call.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 10:06pm   #7
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggle
Low suited connectors and suited gaps are not very good cards in no limit and its better not to play them unless you're throwing people off by varying your play.
Man, no wonder why so many newbs are confused.
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 10:10pm   #8
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive
Send a message via Yahoo to weknowhowtolive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthView
Quote:
Noooooooooooo.
SH favours high cards over drawing hands. Suited connectors are best in LH games, where you're getting better pot odds to call.
Hmm...that makes sense i guess...didnt reallythink of that. Regardless, suited connectors seem to do me just fine in SH...but i understand what you're saying completely.
weknowhowtolive est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 10:14pm   #9
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggle
Low suited connectors and suited gaps are not very good cards in no limit and its better not to play them unless you're throwing people off by varying your play.
Man, no wonder why so many newbs are confused.
Yep, that really was terrible advice. I'm glad I didn't read things like this when I started playing NL.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:19pm   #10
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Quote:
suited connectors seem to do me just fine in SH...but i understand what you're saying completely.
I didn't say they weren't playable in SH. It's critical to remember that hard and fast rules don't exist. Starting hand guides are just that - guides, not rule books.