THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old May 25, 2005, 6:35am   #11
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Before you read a book read this http://www.flopturnriver.com/essays_...ps_0_to_2.html

The best hand selection list for no limit I've seen with good advice on how to play the hands-wish I had studied it before playing no limit...and remember you need a bankroll of at least 15 full buy ins to play no limit;but you should only do a half buyin until you have a read on the table also much easier to go all in with

Don't play in zoos-tables dominated by maniacs-they're just too dangerous and become lottos rather than poker games.
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 25, 2005, 7:15am   #12
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggle
you should only do a half buyin until you have a read on the table also much easier to go all in with
I disagree. NL is about trying to double up. How stupid will you feel when you get a nuts vs 2nd nuts situation and you only double up 1/2 a buy in?
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 11:02pm   #13
scottqrt
Brunson

scottqrt
Send a message via MSN to scottqrt

welove, you said, "I lost $7 in one hand because i had trip 8s and there was some guy with trip 10s and i didnt stop to think about it."

a whole seven dollars? a bigger raise and you may have only lost $5.
Old May 25, 2005, 11:07pm   #14
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive
Send a message via Yahoo to weknowhowtolive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottqrt
welove, you said, "I lost $7 in one hand because i had trip 8s and there was some guy with trip 10s and i didnt stop to think about it."

a whole seven dollars? a bigger raise and you may have only lost $5.
Maybe. Or i could have lost $10. Who knows. Regardless, you really need to stop calling me by the wrong name.
weknowhowtolive est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 2:50am   #15
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
I disagree. NL is about trying to double up. How stupid will you feel when you get a nuts vs 2nd nuts situation and you only double up 1/2 a buy in?
NorthView when people first start to play no limit they're too eager to go "all in",by limiting their buyins they're protecting themselves from wipe out until they have enough experience to play no limit and protect themselves from maniacs who may draw them in to all in situations with less then great pockets(things like KQ,QJ,KJ,QT,KT,AT) that are fine for limit;but can quickly kill you if over played in no limit.I can't even count the number of people I've seen raising and jamming the preflop pot with AK or AQ when more than one person is jamming the pot-almost certainly one of the other players will have a big pair already.One needs to read the table before one gets into one of those situations,which potentially can take your whole stack and maybe send you on a tilt.And unless one is going to spend 15 minutes to half an hour studying the table before playing a half buy in will limit ones losses at a bad table and encourage one to go to another.
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2005, 7:37pm   #16
Oyvind
River Rat

Oyvind
Send a message via MSN to Oyvind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggle
Quote:
NorthView when people first start to play no limit they're too eager to go "all in",by limiting their buyins they're protecting themselves from wipe out until they have enough experience to play no limit and protect themselves from maniacs who may draw them in to all in situations with less then great pockets(things like KQ,QJ,KJ,QT,KT,AT) that are fine for limit;but can quickly kill you if over played in no limit.I can't even count the number of people I've seen raising and jamming the preflop pot with AK or AQ when more than one person is jamming the pot-almost certainly one of the other players will have a big pair already.One needs to read the table before one gets into one of those situations,which potentially can take your whole stack and maybe send you on a tilt.And unless one is going to spend 15 minutes to half an hour studying the table before playing a half buy in will limit ones losses at a bad table and encourage one to go to another.
There sure as hell aren't often I post at this forum(or any other for that matter), but I felt I needed a comment on this one. Those of you who have seen the movie "Maverick" might remember the scene where he promises to lose for an hour and spends that hour reading his opponents. Well, your advice looks a bit like that, doing something as fishy as buying in for half a buy in at first because you don't want to invest without a solid read. I really can't imagine one good reason to do that, if you feel you must go allin all the time and your most probable prospect is a loss then maybe NL is not for you. You also use being outdrawn by maniacs as an argument. We all know that everytime a maniac calls you down for your entire stack, it's good, and you'll make money in the long run. The only thing buying in for less will do is preventing you from giving him bad enough pot odds, and lessen your profit.
Old Jun 01, 2005, 7:44pm   #17
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive

in my .25/.50 NL games, the max buyin is $50. I buy in for something like 23.67 or something weird like that because it makes me look like its the last of my money, i may be on tilt, or im just dumb and up too high for my bankroll. I dont know how well it actually works or if anyone actually pays attention to it, probably not, but i do it anyway. And i never have problems with it
Old Jun 01, 2005, 8:27pm   #18
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Quote:
Originally Posted by weknowhowtolive
And i never have problems with it
So you've never gone all in, been called and won, to name but one situation where you'd have been better advised to have a full stack?
Old Jun 01, 2005, 9:03pm   #19
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthView
Quote:
So you've never gone all in, been called and won, to name but one situation where you'd have been better advised to have a full stack?
Not as of yet. usually by the time i actually get a hand worth all ining on, im up to the max buyin anyway, and when im not, the person going in with me has less or equal stack to me, so my extra would be worthless. HOWEVER. I know what you're saying, and the reason i DONT go in for a full stack is because i dont want to get a bad beat and lose 50 instead of 20, because my bankroll is not yet big enough to do that. Once its up more, i will of course be buying in for the full amount
Old Jun 01, 2005, 9:06pm   #20
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthView
Quote:
Not as of yet. usually by the time i actually get a hand worth all ining on, im up to the max buyin anyway, and when im not, the person going in with me has less or equal stack to me, so my extra would be worthless. HOWEVER. I know what you're saying, and the reason i DONT go in for a full stack is because i dont want to get a bad beat and lose 50 instead of 20, because my bankroll is not yet big enough to do that. Once its up more, i will of course be buying in for the full amount
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I can't take it any more.