THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old May 25, 2005, 4:43pm   #1
jbundy77
Fish

jbundy77
Default Stuck In A Rut

I have been playing online (partypoker.com) for about 2 months. I play about every other day for an hour or two. I started off with fake money and about 6 weeks ago went to real money. I play .5/$1 texas holdem and deposited $77 plus $23 bonus. Within 3 weeks I had hit $200 account balance. Since then I have fluctuated between 150 and 175. I think I am a fairly good player for my experience level but, I am getting frustrated with not being able to continue to grow my account. I would like to go up one level $1/$2 but my rut has me worried. I use to always try to quit when I was ahead and considering doing that style of play again but the book I am reading say "quitting while your up" is not good poker. I would consider my self a tight/conservative player. Any comment or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!
jbundy77 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 25, 2005, 5:09pm   #2
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive
Send a message via Yahoo to weknowhowtolive

Does it say WHY quitting while you're ahead isnt good poker? Heres what id say. Quitting while you're ahead will keep you making money. BUT, the reason its bad is because if you're sitting at a table, making a bigger and bigger stack, you can use that to your advantage, being the big stack at the table. Also, as long as you dont get loose once you've got a big stack in front of you, its hard to lose that unless you get a really bad beat. But if you dont feel confident with being able to keep that big stack (i dont ) then pulling a hit n run isnt a horrible idea. You can build up your bank roll, and practice while you're at it. Then once you feel you are playing good enough poker to keep that big stack growing...you can stick around awhile ;)
weknowhowtolive est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 8:48pm   #3
dogman666
Brunson

dogman666

bundy what's your handle on party. I played with an albundy here the last few days. Just wondering.
Old May 25, 2005, 9:22pm   #4
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by weknowhowtolive
Does it say WHY quitting while you're ahead isnt good poker? Heres what id say. Quitting while you're ahead will keep you making money. BUT, the reason its bad is because if you're sitting at a table, making a bigger and bigger stack, you can use that to your advantage, being the big stack at the table. Also, as long as you dont get loose once you've got a big stack in front of you, its hard to lose that unless you get a really bad beat. But if you dont feel confident with being able to keep that big stack (i dont ) then pulling a hit n run isnt a horrible idea. You can build up your bank roll, and practice while you're at it. Then once you feel you are playing good enough poker to keep that big stack growing...you can stick around awhile ;)
That just doesn't make sense for limit hold'em.

In limit hold'em, but also in all other pokergames, you should stop to think "in sessions". It's one long run.
Everytime you stop your session because you are up, you will loose money. Since if you would play more, you would win your average rate in the hours you didn't play.
You should quit, when you feel you start playing worse, or if you are tiered and not focused. But not when you are up.
Maybe you would win even more, when the game is juicy, or you would lose again.
But in the end it's the average winrate you gain.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote