THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old May 27, 2005, 1:45pm   #1
Hoss Man
Doyle Look-alike

Hoss Man is on a distinguished road
Default Did I play this correctly?

$10+$1 SNG at Empire, first hand of the night.

Dealt 7s2d UTG.

Dropped it like a flaming bag of dog crap!

Is there anything I could have done differently?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 27, 2005, 4:55pm   #2
KevinM11
Professional

KevinM11 will become famous soon enough

Well I think you could have slow folded this hand. Show the table that you’re a thoughtful fellow who will drag the table down with deep contemplations.

Also if the 7 were a heart you would have had all red cards and that would have changed everything...

Hoss what ever your smokin...send me some!

"take stock of any poor thought processes that may be causing you to lose money needlessly at the poker table." Ozone

"The main reason for me to play poker has always been to have fun and hopefully make a little cash." DK-Molinero
KevinM11 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 7:59pm   #3
WRXfanboy
Flop Artist

WRXfanboy

You probably should have raised at least 10 X BB just to isolate.

Then push real hard after the flop.
Old Jun 01, 2005, 5:41pm   #4
zemidjan_99
Brunson

zemidjan_99
Default The power of 72o

There is something to be said about playing 72o in NL. But it is very situational and you have to have a very good feel for the table. Do not underestimate the power of 72o. Its strength lies in the fact that it is the worst starting hand in hold'em. And to play it right, i suggest playing it strong preflop in an unraised pot, but like any hand you have to know when to let it go. Position is very important also. It takes some real cajones to raise with it UTG, esp on a long table. To get the full effect (mostly psychological), I suggest showing it when you take a pot down with it. It will definitely give you a negative table image and may even set people on tilt. There was a tongue in cheek 72o website mentioned in a previous thread on the site.

I understand this is the beginner's section and I dont suggest making this play until you become more confortable with other parts of your game. I know some people are gonna rag me, but those are the same people who probably think you should always raise preflop with aces. My point being, that poker is very situational and you cannot apply rules by rote. And the 72o is a good "advertising play" and something you can throw in when changing your play up so you dont become too predictable. That being said I dont suggest going to the well several times in the same session.

I pushed all-in on a table with 72o, table folded around and I showed it. This guy started rattling off on me on chat. The very next hand I get bullets and push all-in again. He called me with rags busted out and left the table. While this is an extreme case, it illustrates the power of 72o.
zemidjan_99 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2005, 5:43pm   #5
NorthView
Professional

NorthView
Default Re: The power of 72o

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemidjan_99
The very next hand I get bullets and push all-in again. He called me with rags busted out and left the table. While this is an extreme case, it illustrates the power of 72o.
No, it illustrates the power of playing against an idiot.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2005, 6:21pm   #6
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

You should have gone all in, like I would have done.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2005, 6:22pm   #7
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

Amusing that you only erased your name from the table, but not from the window.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2005, 6:35pm   #8
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Is [edited out my real name] Ozone?
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2005, 6:45pm   #9
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenthebrain
Amusing that you only erased your name from the table, but not from the window.
I didn't erase my name. I took the screenshot right after I made the bet, and on Party there is a split second of darkness where your name is after you bet.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2005, 6:46pm   #10
zemidjan_99
Brunson

zemidjan_99
Default Idiot he...

...may be, but it was pretty obvious that my 72o play set up the play with aces. It had its intended effect of giving me an edge over a player at the table. The fact that I got bullets the very next hand was extremely serendipitous.
zemidjan_99 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote