THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old May 30, 2005, 10:23pm   #1
ALL50
Flop Artist

ALL50
Default shark avoidance

I'll keep the gratitudes short; Thank you all for your time.

Now. For 3 months I've been playing SnG's, doing well, and growing the bankroll. Have been finishing in the money 60% of the time at the $30 level and am comfortable with the style of play I've encountered there. My question is: Where do the sharks begin to swim? If there is no action at the highest level tables, how far will they "downsize" to fleece the flock?
ALL50 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 31, 2005, 12:22am   #2
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

what is this fascination fish have with the word shark?

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 1:53pm   #3
Lindy
Doyle Look-alike

Lindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy

Kc
The same (oppisite offcourse) fascination the the sharks have with the word fish....
Old May 31, 2005, 10:16pm   #4
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

anyone who considers themself a shark is a fish, innit.

Kc (poker professional ;)
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2005, 2:18am   #5
aseyer
Grinder

aseyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aseyer

There are bad players at all levels. Someone once said the toughest game is the second highest limit, as everyone is trying to make their way to the big game.

In headsup play, I found the higher I went in buyins, the worse the players. Until I hit $100, and then there was the occasion non-donkey.
Old Jun 01, 2005, 12:15pm   #6
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy

Kc
I see fish using the word fish even more.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2005, 12:05pm   #7
Lindy
Doyle Look-alike

Lindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseyer
There are bad players at all levels. Someone once said the toughest game is the second highest limit, as everyone is trying to make their way to the big game.

In headsup play, I found the higher I went in buyins, the worse the players. Until I hit $100, and then there was the occasion non-donkey.
This is a good point...At one site i play at the .50/1.00 NL games are like playing with a bunch of Rocks.....If you want more action, just go up to 1/2 or even 2/5, any higher and the games are extremely difficult.

But I logged in over 400 hours at 1/2 (200.00 buy in) so far and my hourly rate is more than double (almost triple) what it is at .50/1.00 (100 buy in).
Old Jun 02, 2005, 2:59pm   #8
Woosta2
Doyle Look-alike

Woosta2
Send a message via AIM to Woosta2 Send a message via Yahoo to Woosta2

I'd think that except at the extremes, "fish" and "shark" are fairly relative terms, e.g. a mid-level player is a $1-2 shark and a $20-40 fish.

Quote:
Where do the sharks begin to swim?
By that logic, in the lowest play money games; it's relative to the table at that moment. Many people's goal is to bottom feed as highly as they can, or in other words, to be the shark in the best game they can handle*. I think what you actually want to form a question about is how to spot the shark in time and what to do when you spot one. Not having a good answer if that's what you mean to ask, I'll leave it at that. Hopefully this is helpfull and not seen as another dick move - forming just the right questions often means they begin to answer themselves.

*(Disclaimer: Note that they may be able to make more money as a good player one limit higher, but whatever. The truth of the statment holds in relation to what "many" people do, be it for ego or not making the best decisions for their personal business.)
Old Jun 02, 2005, 10:41pm   #9
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

If you are really finishing in the money 60% of the time - you're among the best SNG players on the entire Party Poker network. Something like less than 1% of guys average a 60%+ "in the money" rate. So you're either an incredible player, or a liar. All that said, if you're telling the truth, and you're really netting 60% playing $30s, I'd move up to $50 or even $100 fast, 'cause you're losing EV by wasting your time playing $30s with that win rate.

I think it only really gets "sharky" at the $200 level, where you have all the ZeeJustins of the world 12 tabling and killing all the fish who are "taking a shot" in a $200 SNG.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2005, 10:09pm   #10
ALL50
Flop Artist

ALL50

Thanks for the replies. I went over my stats, and it's actully 53% of the time I've been fortunate enough to finish in the money. So, I was lying. :) Took the advice and moved to the $50 SnG's and haven't had any problems. Although, there seems to be fewer 'go for broke' early all-in types.
ALL50 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote