THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jun 04, 2005, 5:08am   #1
Hoitz
Fish

Hoitz
Default Egames v. Bricks

I have a question for those who have lots of hours on the net and on the felt. I tend to hit extended perioids of of terrible pockets (Terrible Pocket Vortex). Is this typical for real table games, an online anomaly or maybe an algorithm issue? If this is typical, especially in a tounament setting, do you play marginal hands in order to attempt to catch a good flop or continue waiting for good pockets?
Hoitz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jun 12, 2005, 8:52am   #2
Zarathustra
Brunson

Zarathustra
Send a message via MSN to Zarathustra

You should never change anything you do merely because you are losing and/or picking up bad cards. This is tilting 101 and is bad play. I do not mean you dont change your style because of other factors, but never MERELY because you are losing. The only thing you can do is make good plays. You cannot do anything about the cards and adjusting to them is only going to reduce your chances of winning. As a general maxim, you can change your style for any other reason apart from the 'luck' you are having. (this is only a general rule - there are no exceptions in cash games but in tounaments you have to factor in expected utility etc.)

I cannot say that I have clocked up a lot of net hours but I think this is solid advice.
Zarathustra est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 8:59am   #3
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive
Send a message via Yahoo to weknowhowtolive

I disagree. Although you shouldnt start playing 83os because you arent catching cards, i do think that if you start running dry and continue to fold, it will look very obvious as to whats going on, and when you DO get cards, it will be much tougher to get any sort of action. If you're getting marginal hands, try and buy a few pots if people seem to have that in mind...that you finally have a hand. Gotta switch it up once in awhile, right?
weknowhowtolive est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:33am   #4
Zarathustra
Brunson

Zarathustra

Sure, thats why I said never 'merely' because you are losing. In this case you would be only indirectly be switching your style because you are losing. Your actual reason would be to avoid being too predictable.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:21pm   #5
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
Sure, thats why I said never 'merely' because you are losing. In this case you would be only indirectly be switching your style because you are losing. Your actual reason would be to avoid being too predictable.
How long have you actually been playing, live or online i dont care just..how long
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:54pm   #6
Zarathustra
Brunson

Zarathustra

5 days, but I know this is the correct way to play - it's not rocket science - changing because you are losing is bad play. in the example you used, you would not be changing your style because you are losing, you would be changing because you fear becoming predictable. the fact that your risk of becoming predictable is a result of you getting consistentently bad cards is irrelevant - you could do exactly the same thing if you were getting consistently good cards, only you would then be changing your style to maximise your profits, and not minimise your losses. im sure much better players than me can verify this - in any case, you could play poker all your life and still be a bad player
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:39am   #7
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
5 days, but I know this is the correct way to play - it's not rocket science - changing because you are losing is bad play. in the example you used, you would not be changing your style because you are losing, you would be changing because you fear becoming predictable. the fact that your risk of becoming predictable is a result of you getting consistentently bad cards is irrelevant - you could do exactly the same thing if you were getting consistently good cards, only you would then be changing your style to maximise your profits, and not minimise your losses. im sure much better players than me can verify this - in any case, you could play poker all your life and still be a bad player
5 days...wow. Ok. Ill take your word then..im out classed.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:45am   #8
Zarathustra
Brunson

Zarathustra

Right...
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:06am   #9
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight...
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:45pm   #10
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

*pause*

...CRIPPLE FIGHT!

Seriously though...weknowwhatyoudidlastsummer, you're dumb. You're always going to be, your only use is to serve as the fall guy in a series of elabourate jokes and hoaxes.

Zarathustra, you're enthusiastic but you think way too much of yourself and your approach to the game is bordering on horrible. By all means keep the name but drop the Zarathustra complex, you aren't smart enough to carry it off. Arrogance is dangerous in this business, and while I'm almost certainly more conceited and sure of myself than you are, I'm also several years and many thousands of dollars ahead of you.

People do not like lippy novices.

The first thing to learn is that there are no absolutes in poker. With the exception of this statement, be wary of anything in poker that begins with words like always or never.

Changing your play because you're losing is wrong? how? surely if you're losing its more likely that your play is incorrect and so should be changed?

Deviating from a correct long term strategy because of short term results is "wrong", this is not necessarilly the same as changing your play up today because you are losing.

My play changes constantly dependant on the particulars of the situation. What I do depends on how others see me, if I haven't played a hand in my first half hour (and am therefore down, and am therefore losing) I'm likely to raise it up with some very marginal hands - people will read me as tight and give me credit for a big hand.

I changed my play because I was losing, and I gained through it.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen.

Kc