THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Limit Hold'em and Miscellaneous Strategy

Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:21am   #1
lilsewon
Doyle Look-alike

lilsewon
Send a message via AIM to lilsewon
Default Question about playing those medium hands...

For hands like KJ, QJ, JT, KT, QT...if there is say 1, 2, or 3 limpers, and at least one of those players is a tight player, should you play the hand, cuz u could easily be dominated by the tight limper? How would suitedness play in this?

I think one thing I may be doing wrong is giving to much credit to the high card value of these hands, which isn't a whole lot, and when there's only 2 limpers, you basically have to rely on high card value hands. I'm actually hoping to catch something like a draw or 2 pair...but when I miss that and I hit top pair, I put too much value on that, try to bet it only to find someone calls me down with a higher kicker.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jun 12, 2005, 6:44am   #2
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

If these cards are not suited, I do not recommend playing them against a tight limper (he most likely has a pocket pair he is trying to hit big with but you never know.) Cards being suited really affects the value and the play a lot. None of those hands are any good at all really in Limit unless they are suited so that means just about everything in the world.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:03am   #3
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive
Send a message via Yahoo to weknowhowtolive

i would disagree with QT or the likes being suited. If your flush does hit, someone most likely will beat it. I think unless you get top pair with a flush draw for backup with not much action, or two pair, dump it. I play QT a lot and could care less if its suited... i would rather it wasnt, to be honest. Ive hit 4 quad 10s off it in the past month, and a few straights/boats. Once the flush is there and someone is betting i usually get out.
weknowhowtolive est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:34am   #4
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

I strongly disagree with your post weknow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weknowhowtolive
If your flush does hit, someone most likely will beat it.
That's is just not true. Every flush with 2 holecards has a very high value and is good about 90% of the time.
A queen high flush will get beaten by a higher flush very rarely.
These weak offsuit holding like QT gain a lot of value in multiway pots when they are suited.
It may increase your equity up to 25%. (e.g. you have the equity unsuited of 16% and suited it is 20%, that's a 25% increase)

Quote:
I think unless you get top pair with a flush draw for backup with not much action, or two pair, dump it. I play QT a lot and could care less if its suited... i would rather it wasnt, to be honest. Ive hit 4 quad 10s off it in the past month, and a few straights/boats. Once the flush is there and someone is betting i usually get out.
You fear flushes too much.
The opposite is correct instead. When you have a strong holding and a flushcard comes you can frequently value-bet even if yo don't have the flush.
This will show considerably profit.

As for the whole thread.
I don't like these hands you mentioned either.
I raise with them from late position (or even late mid position) when it's folded to me. (or at most one loose limper and tight blinds)
They play better against fewer opponents.
When the other players are really loose, you can limp even in a big multiway pot, but never ever cold-call with these holding.
You can play the suited once more often, then the offsuit hands.
Consider folding all weak offsuit hands from EP, consider raising when it gets shorthanded from EP.
You can always try to steal the blins with them.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 1:56pm   #5
lilsewon
Doyle Look-alike

lilsewon

If there is one tight limper and one or two loose limpers, is it worth limping? is the draw value high enough? it's probably going to be a 4-5 way pot.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:00pm   #6
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

When you make top pair you gotta protect it right.
When the players are bad postflop it's probably worth it.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:06pm   #7
lilsewon
Doyle Look-alike

lilsewon

But it doesn't matter if they're bad if they hold QK, and I limp QJ and the Q hits.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:59am   #8
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
i would disagree with QT or the likes being suited. If your flush does hit, someone most likely will beat it. I think unless you get top pair with a flush draw for backup with not much action, or two pair, dump it. I play QT a lot and could care less if its suited... i would rather it wasnt, to be honest. Ive hit 4 quad 10s off it in the past month, and a few straights/boats. Once the flush is there and someone is betting i usually get out.
wtf?

your answer was incorrect, the penalty is death.

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:03am   #9
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default Re: Question about playing those medium hands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsewon
For hands like KJ, QJ, JT, KT, QT...if there is say 1, 2, or 3 limpers, and at least one of those players is a tight player, should you play the hand, cuz u could easily be dominated by the tight limper? How would suitedness play in this?
well in this situation you're going to be on the button or close to it, with the higher wodge of those hands I would raise, though I'm not sure how effective this would be in LL.

It's a position raise basically, if I'm not on the button there's a decent chance I can steal it, everyone will likely check to me on the flop so I get a free turn, all sorts of nice things and pixie feathers.

So KJ QJ and any of these suited I raise, the rest I limp.

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:42am   #10
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive
Send a message via Yahoo to weknowhowtolive

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy
Quote:
wtf?

your answer was incorrect, the penalty is death.

Kc
How is my answer incorrect? I simply said i disagree.
weknowhowtolive est déconnecté   Reply With Quote