THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jun 25, 2005, 5:24am   #1
BigPoppaJoe
Fish

BigPoppaJoe
Default Bad Beat

Hey people, my first post here. Just got done in a home game tourny, $20 buy-in. I was in the second round and it was the first hand someone went all-in in front of me and the person behind me jumped the gun and called before i could think. I had 7-8 suited hearts. I had a gut feeling but turned it down something ive heard NEVER to do so the first person that went all in turned over something not good and the guy that jumped the gun turns over pocket rockets. And sure enough the flop comes with an 8 and the river is an 8 i would have tripled up. Few hands go by i get Q-7 off suit in big blind so i limp in and see the flop...3,Q,4 i have top pair and go all in. One person calls me with A-5 hearts and is on a flush draw with the 3 and 4. He of course missed his flush but catches runner runner 5s on the turn and river. I was out, so a bad call and a bad beat lead to my downfall. Im 17 and have been playing for 5 months and am a pretty solid player but this loss is bugging the hell out of me. Anyone have any ideas on what i should do to get over this?
BigPoppaJoe est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:04am   #2
BkEnds
Flop Artist

BkEnds

Quote:
Few hands go by i get Q-7 off suit in big blind so i limp in and see the flop...3,Q,4 i have top pair and go all in.
But why? Your hand's not strong, you could be easily outkicked, straight and flush draws on the board and you're up against over cards. He has a sh*t load of outs and you've got one weak ass hand. And as far as I'm concerned, this isn't considered a bad beat. A bad beat in this case would be a flush on the turn beaten by runner runner full house. But top pair with crap kicker being beaten by a 15 outer is just a bad play by you risking all your chips when A. the pot isn't even big and B. your hand just sucks.
BkEnds est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:06am   #3
BigPoppaJoe
Fish

BigPoppaJoe

I had to go all-in, the blinds were 2-4 then all of the sudden someone raised them to 5-10 and i had 20 chips left. It was either try to double up or be blinded away
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:09am   #4
BkEnds
Flop Artist

BkEnds

Well thats just a poor blind structure, and either way, its not a bad beat. Maybe a bad game, but no bad beats here.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:11am   #5
BigPoppaJoe
Fish

BigPoppaJoe

none the less its still bugging me...any tips to make it stop?
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:16am   #6
BkEnds
Flop Artist

BkEnds

Don't fall in love with top pair (with crap kicker) when there's a drawing board, and find a better game. I will admit the other guy did get a lucky turn and river, but either way, it was pretty much a coinflip. He is actually the favorite on the flop. But the 2-4, 5-10 blind jump is just a freaking joke, especially if you were given T160 chips which I'm assuming.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:18am   #7
BigPoppaJoe
Fish

BigPoppaJoe

they were 9g chips and it was my buddy's house but he was doing something when his dad raised blinds that much or he wouldve stopped me. It just bugs me to see the biggest tournamnet ive been in happen like it did
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:25am   #8
BkEnds
Flop Artist

BkEnds

Well if you were down to T20 chips from T9000 then you obviously lost a huge hand or a few hands. And the home tournies usually aren't the most professional, so don't go expecting to win when your throwing a few bucks around.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:36am   #9
BigPoppaJoe
Fish

BigPoppaJoe

arent they good learning experiences?
Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:43am   #10
BkEnds
Flop Artist

BkEnds

Not as good as sitting in a real B&M, playing cards in a serious enviroment. At a home tournament, I just don't feel as competitive against my friends as I would against a stranger or a serious player.