THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:48pm   #11
sffan72
Grinder

sffan72

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy
... and I come to this number through a complicated system of peristalsis and prehensilisation.
Ohhh... this phrase I suspect could be quite useful in my current employment. Particularly since the people at whom the phrase would be directed cannot spell "hole" without a 'w'.

Thanks Kc!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:37am   #12
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fox31
So would I. Interestingly enough, it seems to involve the movement of muscles.

But if you have 300 BB, can't you only bring 60 BB to each table if you are, say 5 tabling?

Oh wait! I get it! Even if you lose 60 BB and "go broke" at one table, you would have lost those 60 anyways had you only beeen playing 1 table.

It doesn't matter where you've put your bankroll, as long as your play hasn't changed, your variance won't either.
but the problem is, you can go broke at 5 tables concurrently. that's 125 BB you've shat off...so i've revised my base bankroll figure to be 450 BB for two tables, plus 25BB for each additional table.

i'll present a mathematical argument once i've made one up.

Kc
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:00pm   #13
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

You can go broke 5 times in a row playing one table.

You wouldn't need a other bankroll management playing more tables, but if you feel more comfortable like that it's probably the right thing to do.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:08pm   #14
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

except it takes you 5 times as long.

so assuming you'll go broke in 100 years time, you'll actually end up broke in 2025.

Kc
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:31pm   #15
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy
except it takes you 5 times as long.

so assuming you'll go broke in 100 years time, you'll actually end up broke in 2025.
And the best way to never go bust is stop playing.

Also, you might just want to play 4 times less playing 4 tables than 4 times more playing one and spend the rest of your time smoking crack or whatever. Then it's still 100 years (but you'll probably be dead in less than 15)
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:15pm   #16
killcrazy
Apex Predator

tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilt!

Kc
Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:45am   #17
Kazz
Grinder

Kazz is on a distinguished road

I guess I'll toss my 2 cents in. xen, you're right that for a really solid professional player, playing 4 tables should be similar to playing 1 table 4 times as long.

The problem is you're looking at it as too simple of an issue. Even for a very good player it's a lot harder to keep track of how 36 other people are playing than it is to keep track of 9 other people, and unless you want to argue that observation of your opponents adds no +EV, you're going to lose some there. Especially in NL, you can easily go from winning to losing overall just because you're not paying enough attention to what other people have been doing.

If you're a good player you'll probably still win more than you would if you were only playing at 1 table, but a straight 4x your average win rate doesn't work if that win rate is based off of 1 table play.

The other major issue is that most people simply do not play their best at all times. If you somehow never play any better or worse and you never tilt then you can expect things to go the same at 4 tables as they would at 1 table in 4x as long, but if you do tilt then that period of bad play can cost you much more unless you're assuming that you would tilt for 4x as long to even it out if you were only playing 1 table?

Edit: While I'm here, I might as well explicitly state that I think most people should have a bigger bankroll to play multiple tables than they'd need to play one, but I don't think it's an absolute necessity for everyone. Bankroll issues are really more about individual comfort levels than they are about absolute rules.
Kazz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 3:45pm   #18
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

I think saying its about individual comfort levels is dangerous with a lot of the readers here.

Individual comfort level is important. You have to be comfortable with the limits in regards to your bankroll.

However, there is also a mathematical aspect. There are rules you should follow regardless of whether or not you find something comfortable or uncomfortable, or else you may go broke. A LOT of players here seem to be comfortable playing with small rolls, but afterwards seem a bit uncomfortable after they lost all their money.
---

As for the risk of multi-tabling...

I'd like to see KC's mathematical argument, cause I doubt it exists.

Nobody believes that a month of play is going to be more likely to yield an innaccurate earnings rate than a week. The more you play, the more you head towards the true number.

So why would you be worried that playing more tables would lead to a higher deviation? It wouldn't.

Now here is the real issue that I think has been danced around, but not stepped on:

If you play 4 tables at a time, everytime you lose you have to reevaluate your bankroll situation. So if I stay even at 3 tables, but drop 3 buyins at the 4th table...I have to ask myself if I still have the bankroll to be playing at that limit.

If you are a person who flirts with disaster, this could cause problems, as small downswings are enough to force you to drop a level. And with 4 tables going, you may not recognize that this has to happen or else you will be playing underrolled.

Its much easier to say "uncle" when you are getting pounded at one table during a 4 hour stretch, than 4 tables over a one hour stretch. But it certainly isn't something that can't be done.

-----

Kazz is also correct in pointing out that if paying attention is a big part of your game, playing 4 tables can be costly.

I think the tilting issue is a misrepresentation though. It is one big session afterall. And tilting while playing at 4 tables is not the equivalent of tilting for 4 straight hours at one table.

Its the same as tilting for one hour during 4 different blcoks of time.

So you play 8 hours of 4 tabling. You tilt during hour 3.

That would be the same as playing 8 hours monday-thursday, and tilting during hour 3 each day. Its not the same as playing one 8 hour session and tilting for 4 hours during that session.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2005, 8:39am   #19
killcrazy
Apex Predator

if you play 10000 hands and are worth 1BB/100 with whatever the average SD is, what's the largest swing you can expect?

If you play 10000000 hands and are worth 1 BB/100 with an average SD, what's the largest swing you can expect?

Kc
Old Aug 01, 2005, 12:33pm   #20
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

If you intend to play continuously, are you more likely to go broke playing 1000000 hands in a week, or 1000000 in a month.

Its a non-issue, because those hands are going to get played.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote