THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:22am   #1
Joes28
Grinder

Joes28 is on a distinguished road
Default My Uber NL strategy

First of all, I dont play NL that much unless it is in a tourney, but anyways, tonight I developed a strategy of betting absurd amounts everytime. I found this strategy to be effective while at the same time hilarious. Basically everytime you bet, make it some weird amount (or an amount that is funny). At 2k NL I was frequently making raises of $69 preflop, and in my two tourneys I was raising some number with 69 at the end, or something like 123. Post flop, I would make just make it some weird ass number.

This strategy still needs some testing, but tonight I finished first in one of my tourneys, and second in the other, and was up about $1500 between my two ring games (and it could have been more, but I had my KK cracked by Q4d when they caught a flush.)

I think this strategy is best combined with a tight preflop strategy because you should be getting plenty of action with it.

sidenote- I just realized that I might also be able to bring the cents into play. How does a raise of $69.69 sound? The only problem with this is the potential risk of forgetting the decimal. Im not sure if you can do cents either, i need to test this.
Joes28 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:58pm   #2
SuperJon
Flop Artist

SuperJon
Send a message via AIM to SuperJon

::hangs head in shame:: what is this world coming to?
SuperJon est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:06pm   #3
Joes28
Grinder

Joes28 is on a distinguished road

hang your head in shame if you want, but this works great. I dont think im ever going to make a bet again that ends in a 0 or a 5.
Joes28 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:21pm   #4
The boat man
Brunson

The boat man
Send a message via MSN to The boat man

I played a guy who liked to raise 666 , fair enough , it was play money . He called it his evil bet .
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:16pm   #5
SlightlyAskew
Brunson

SlightlyAskew

I'd file this under the category of either pissing off people to put them on tilt, or making a strange bet to confuse your opponents. I don't see a problem with it, as long as you are still playing a solid game (i.e. raising $69 where you should raise $65, rather than raising $69 where you should raise $10).

When playing in a game with several chip colors, I sometimes bet with my smallest chips, even if I have enough large chips to cover it (i.e. I'll call a $25 raise with 25 singles, rather than 5 $5 chips). It looks like I'm making a weak call, as some people might think I'm using these chips expecting to lose them.

As with most strategies, though, it's a good idea to change gears from time to time.
SlightlyAskew est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:29pm   #6
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyAskew
I sometimes bet with my smallest chips, even if I have enough large chips to cover it (i.e. I'll call a $25 raise with 25 singles, rather than 5 $5 chips). It looks like I'm making a weak call, as some people might think I'm using these chips expecting to lose them.
hmm.

if i saw someone do that i'd file them under "fish?" until they'd proven themselves worthy of an exclamation mark.

firstly, it's going to accomplish nothing in terms of manipulating other players, it's not like you're betting with them when you could use many tall stacks of small denomination chips to intimidate an opponent (example being Julian Gardner's move on Russell Rosenblum in '02).

secondly, you're giving strong players oodles of free information, not only in that you're chosing to use small chips which is a tell of itself, but you're going to spend time cutting them out and arranging them and thank you for telling me what your cards are.

Kc
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:51pm   #7
SuperJon
Flop Artist

SuperJon
Send a message via AIM to SuperJon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes28
hang your head in shame if you want, but this works great. I dont think im ever going to make a bet again that ends in a 0 or a 5.
I don't think you understand that it doesn't matter how you bet, as long as you bet enough. Plus, betting all these odd numbers will only make you stand out more, and make people pay more attention to you. I would love to play at a table with you, because I would have you read like a book in a few minutes.
SuperJon est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:28pm   #8
SlightlyAskew
Brunson

SlightlyAskew

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy
firstly, it's going to accomplish nothing in terms of manipulating other players
I disagree. Maybe not at the level you normally play at, but at the small level/home game people do think like this, and dumb psychological tricks do work from time to time.

Quote:
secondly, you're giving strong players oodles of free information, not only in that you're chosing to use small chips which is a tell of itself
What information does the tell of using small chips give to an opponent?
SlightlyAskew est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:34pm   #9
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes28
I don't think you understand that it doesn't matter how you bet, as long as you bet enough. Plus, betting all these odd numbers will only make you stand out more, and make people pay more attention to you. I would love to play at a table with you, because I would have you read like a book in a few minutes.
Hmm...I've sat with Joes28 a few times and can assure you that you won't.

He beats $30-60 and $10/20 NL, you play $10 sit&goes. I know who my money's on.

Kc
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:39pm   #10
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyAskew
Quote:
firstly, it's going to accomplish nothing in terms of manipulating other players
I disagree. Maybe not at the level you normally play at, but at the small level/home game people do think like this, and dumb psychological tricks do work from time to time.
well, first, on what do you base the assumption that you'll be read weak if you call with 25 singles? because unless you have a pattern of play (like not liking to break your big chips) this is just likely to work the other way. it just adds a randomiser to the game, as if one were needed.

It's most likely that the people reading poker forums who aren't obviously retarded are going to be the strong players in their home game (and if any of you don't understand why, then you're obviously retarded), so.

On the one hand there's a lot to be said for experimenting with your friends' heads and trying to manipulate them. I learnt an incredible amount from playing with my friends (geniuses to a man naturally, except for Brian*) for stakes lower than we spent on beer (but then we're also alcoholics to a man, especially Brian**) early in my pseudoprofessional career.

On the flip side I'd caution against doing something this blatent against a strong (by whatever your current standard is) player. Here you really want to err towards doing as little as possible, make like a brick and don't get him any free information. Ensure you're difficult to read before you start trying to manipulate him.

On to the next bit.

Quote:
Quote:
secondly, you're giving strong players oodles of free information, not only in that you're chosing to use small chips which is a tell of itself
What information does the tell of using small chips give to an opponent?
every deliberate action is a tell to some degree, most are small subtle clues that basically blend in with the noise. Something this pronounced will make a good player shit himself with glee (incidentally if you ever do shit yourself at a poker table, don't react to it right away or your opponent will know he has a tell).

There are two stages to using a tell. Spotting the tell and working out what it means. This can be compared to tactical awareness and tactical execution in chess if you play, or even if you don't for that matter.

If you pick up a very subtle tell you have a lot of work to do in your head to figure out what it means. It may even mean nothing, he may have suddenly thought "ah crap I forgot to pay my credit card bill this month" which is why he looked briefly nonplused - unintentional misinformation that could cause you to fuck up what would have been a straightforward spot.

With actors it's so much easier in this regard because you know absolutely 100% that he is actively trying to mislead you. He's done half the job for you, return to the chess analogy, it's like telling your opponent he has a forced mate in 3 moves.

I'm going to go see what Caro has to say on this before I post, because I haven't read the book of tells in a while and he's probably phrased it better than I would, and if any of you don't own a copy of this book and play live, you want shooting.

No I like what I said better.

Kc

(*) this is a joke of course, the only genius present was Sir Isaac Newton whose essence we managed to recombobulate from trace fibres of genius we found on a small cuddley donkey in a second hand shop in Cambridge.
(**) this one is true however.