THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jul 29, 2005, 3:56am   #11
SlightlyAskew
Brunson

SlightlyAskew

Sorry. I wasn't looking for a tutorial on tells (although this information is very well delivered!) I was looking for more of a "Rule #93. If a player bets with small chips, that means he is calling with a weaker than normal hand" or even the opposite if that is the case. Still, good information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy

I'm going to go see what Caro has to say on this before I post, because I haven't read the book of tells in a while and he's probably phrased it better than I would, and if any of you don't own a copy of this book and play live, you want shooting.
Here, let me help, as I have his book right here next to me.

""

No, never mind. He doesn't mention betting with small denomination chips in this book.

However, I liken it to, when I have a mediocre hand, raising someone an amount that, if they called, would require them to dig into the chips they have neatly stacked, or require them to dig into their next denomination. In a cash game, some people separate their profit, and by raising enough to make them dig into their profit, they will be less likely to call if they, too, have a mediocre hand (this is mentioned by Caro).

In my case, I'm saying, well, I'm willing to bet these singles, cause they're sitting out here just taking up space anyway, but if you raise me, I'll probably fold. That's what I want them to think...remember, I have a strong hand. Yes, a more astute person would dismiss this as an act, but, as I said earlier, we're talking about home game people here.

And yes, there is one other guy that I play with who is a strong player...I would never try something like this against him. It is fun, however, to see kindergarten poker acting, and glance over at him, only to watch him smile and shake his head. I saw one guy sigh and shrug his full house until the moron next to him actually pushed all in against him. When the other guy said all in, it was just look, smile, shake head. Quite funny. I would consider my acting here at least 3rd grade level!
SlightlyAskew est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jul 29, 2005, 6:42am   #12
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

I agree 100% with KC. Every action is just a little more information. The more chips you have to move or the more hand motions you have to make give more imformation to opponents. So I think betting some strange number yields no advantage whatsoever over just betting normally.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 2:04pm   #13
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

Here's the thing that has been missed.

He does it every time. Any time you do anything every time, it is not a tell.

If I say (type) "I have the nuts!" before a certain raise...it means something.

If I say it before every single raise I make, it means nothing.

You may be able to deduce that I don't really have the nuts everytime, but my saying that I have the nuts everytime gives you no clue as to the frequency in which I do have the nuts.

I am a fan of things like this. Here's why:

A lot of players want to make something out of it even though there is nothing to be made out of it. And if they change how they would play you based on the fact you bet 124.50 instead of 125, then you have effectively put them on tilt. And at what cost? That you get to have fun being silly at the table.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:31am   #14
Kazz
Grinder

Kazz is on a distinguished road

I just get annoyed when people bet like $5.99 or $199.99 to make a big scary stack of pennies and I can't rebuy to even it back out unless I lose and go back below the max buyin.

With *some* people it actually is a tell though...only the really stupid ones I think, but some people actually do just make bets like that when they want to scare people away. Pretty stupid tell, and I wouldn't count on it with most people, but if you can find someone who does it consistently (probably only in a low buyin game), use it to milk 'em! ;)
Kazz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 4:21pm   #15
Notjitsu
Professional

I think the person most known for this online, is quiet lion, who regularly bets infomercial ammounts. 49.95, and such.
Old Aug 01, 2005, 9:56am   #16
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

quack quack...

Kc
Old Aug 01, 2005, 1:33pm   #17
Notjitsu
Professional

Thats a tell that you are a fugly man with a giant nostril.
Old Aug 01, 2005, 5:47pm   #18
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

*tongue sloshes about wildly*

*purchases wookiee*

Kc
Old Aug 01, 2005, 10:08pm   #19
WRXfanboy
Flop Artist

WRXfanboy

Yeah.... I think I played with this guy last night....

Kept raising like 63.45.......... 26.57.........33.14... and I was just laughing..

It didn't effect how I was playing against him though.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:52am   #20
phurien
Fish

phurien

I find when playin like 50-1 to 2-4 nl adding .50 to the end of every bet can make people say "wtf is this guy doing?"
phurien est déconnecté   Reply With Quote