THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Aug 09, 2005, 12:55pm   #1
shads
public enemy

shads will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to shads Send a message via Skype™ to shads
Default 1v1 poker problems!

hi, i recently started playing a lot of online single table tournaments and i am having a lot of problems when it comes down to me vs the last person, i just cant seem to take them down.

im currently doing things like attacking blinds, bluffing the flop if i think i can do it etc.

i understand that it is important to have a good understanding of the type of player your opponent is to decide how aggressive you should be however i just cant seem to crack it,

for instance if i get dealt JA and he is on big blind, say 400/800 with 6k chips for me and 4k for him/her, i raise to 1600, then the reraise and go all in, i would normally fold if i thought the player i was against was conservative, but im undecided about if i think them to be aggressive.

any advice or tricks would be most appriciated,

thanks
shads est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 09, 2005, 1:10pm   #2
ggnh
Disco

ggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to all

Well I am not sure if what I am about to offer is a trick but anyhoo...

When heads up you need to be aggresive when your cards allow you to be, some might even say always be aggresive at that point.

Doubling the Big Blind is NOT agressive. Even during the regular rounds of a Sit'n Go if I have a proper starting hand I will triple the blinds if noone but the blinds are in or if a few have only called.

If I think that the person I am playing against has tightened out so much he can't even fart, I will ALMOST always triple the blinds if I have seen him fold frequently.

With heads up ( mono et mono/ 1 vs 1 ) you should really be paying attention to the cards he is playing. Personally, I take the first few hands and then build from there. Once you get a "feel" for what he will call on, you can use that to help determine how aggresively to play him.

If you notice that the only time he calls your bet is when he has a really good starting hand, you get to pieces of information from him.

First, you know that he is playing tight and have a better chance of stealing the blinds.

Second, if he does call you, you had better make sure you have something to continue "attacking" because he has something.

The pros will correct me if I am wrong, and I shoud point out I am just a beginner myself.

Peace
ggnh est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2005, 4:17pm   #3
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

First off, I wouldn't fold AJ there getting over 2-1 there. That is playing too tight.

At the end of SnGs, it depends of who has the lead. Since the blinds end up being so high (like in your 400/800) example, I would push with an A, good K or Q, and fold/check the rest since one mistake and you are committed to the pot if I had the lead. If I was the underdog, I would push with any hand (and many unreasonable hands) because I need to get the chip lead before doubling up means nothing.

Heads up just takes practice.
Old Aug 09, 2005, 6:28pm   #4
shads
public enemy

shads will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to shads Send a message via Skype™ to shads

cheers for the feedback guys,

one thing though, when the blinds are like that where BB is almost a 6th of my stack then betting 3x the blinds with say a K/Q would be risking half my chips which is mayb too risky?
i guess you also need some luck at my level of skill but id like to be able to eliminate that element as much as possible, thanks for your help
shads est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 2:48am   #5
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

KQ is a mathematical favourite against a random hand.

I read somewhere that Q7o is dead even against any random hand heads up, if anyone was wondering.

Anyways, if you can't make a decent raise without pot comitting yourself preflop, all is usually the route that you'd like to take with hands like that.

Just keep hammering, and you should do fine with practice.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:00pm   #6
whalemangler
Doyle Look-alike

whalemangler

With the blinds at 400/800 and your opponent has 4000 (before the start of the hand) you have 5600 left and he has 3200 left. The 1200 on the table represents a huge chunk of his stack, just push all in with AJ. There are only 6 hands that beat AJ: AK AQ AA KK QQ JJ, the rest are all coin flips or worse for him. You are 28% to win vs KK, and QQ.

I reall doubt he can fold an ace here and you are crushing most of them. I doubt he can even fold KQ or KJs here.

The bottom line is, hand values change once it gets heads up, especially if the blinds are big and your opponent is on the ropes. Ax might as well be AA here. I go all in with king high in this situation.
whalemangler est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 5:40pm   #7
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

all pairs are a favourite over AJ.

Kc
Old Aug 16, 2005, 8:08pm   #8
whalemangler
Doyle Look-alike

whalemangler

Ya but if you aren't gonna take a "coin flip" when you are getting 2-1 what are you going to take?

Regardless, this is an all in. No other way to play it IMHO.
whalemangler est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:24pm   #9
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

*scratches head*

your brain functions in a decidedly inelegant manner.

Kc
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:13pm   #10
Pogue57
Fish

Pogue57

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fox31
I read somewhere that Q7o is dead even against any random hand heads up, if anyone was wondering.
Anything better than a Q6 is at least 50 percent to win versus a random hand heads-up.

So you should always play Ax and Kx heads up.

Pogue
Pogue57 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote