s_immo folded
QueenLuise called - $2.00

** Dealing the flop: 6 of Clubs, Jack of Clubs, 5 of Clubs
demonkiller checked
QueenLuise bet - $4.50
Beefheart raised - $13.50
demonkiller folded
QueenLuise raised - $22.50

Not played this person before but s/he seems ok and PokerTracker has him/her as a Tight Aggressive so I'm wary of the set (as well as the flush). On the other hand, of course, I've got the Ace.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:46am   #2
balthazarr
zahltinbar

balthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

hmm... I think, re-raising her first bet on the flop is a huge mistake. You did miss the opportunity of seeing the turn (comparatively) cheaply. If the turn flops an ace or a club you might have the nuts (set aces) or you'd be sure to have the nuts (ace-high-flush). and you also had a good position, so you could have let the odds on her turn-bet making your decision. but because she re-raised you I think she has the best hand on the flop (either a set with 66/55(I don't think she has JJ)) or a flush(which is more likely: why re-raising a set on such a flop?). and that makes it a tough call. (calling into a made-hand)... another problem: you don't know how many outs you're drawing to. If she has a set, there are a lot of outs and would probably justify a call. on the other hand, if she has the flush I don't think a call would be a good decision.
the question was "what would you do?" - well, as I said I think you could have avoided this tough decision. If you're in gambling mood, call. (but I'd say: abandon-ship!)
balthazarr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 3:37pm   #3
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

I know what Jesus would do.

I know where the nuts are. If he has a set, you have 11 outs. If he has the flush you have 7 outs plus a wierd runner-runner full house. If he has top pair with the Kc kicker, you destroy him. If he has two pair, you have 14 outs for the turn and between 2-17 outs for the river. I am just stupid enough to call here.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 4:49pm   #4
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

I'd say it's 50/50 as to whether he has the set or the low flush. Giving you 11 and 7 outs. That is about a 15-25% chance of improving on the turn against the set/flush. The numbers in the hand simulator in case you were thinking of going all in, are 35.65% against the set, and 30% against the made flush.

Probably fold. I don't think you can really believe that top pair is the best hand here.

If I added this up correctly, he fired a near pot sized raise back at you, so you don't have odds to call. At best you have 11 outs against the set, but even then, he will always have that full house redraw against 9 of those outs. Bottom line, you hand just isn't as strong as it looks.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:43am   #5
sffan72
Grinder

sffan72

Well, if I am reading the flop action correctly, the initial bet was 4.50, you raised 9 to 13.50, and were reraised 9 to 22.50?

9 to call into a pot of about 45 or so? You can still get away from it on the turn if you wish. But I'd like to see the turn first. Like XA_kid, I can be stupid enough to call too. ;)
Old Aug 24, 2005, 5:14am   #6
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

Oh, is that what it means?

Boy am I on a good run here. 9/54 (9:45) is definately good enough to call.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:42pm   #7
KevinM11
Professional

KevinM11 will become famous soon enough

Myself, I would call and then if the turn misses completely you can get away from it...depending on what he/she does.

Position is important on this one.

"take stock of any poor thought processes that may be causing you to lose money needlessly at the poker table." Ozone

"The main reason for me to play poker has always been to have fun and hopefully make a little cash." DK-Molinero
KevinM11 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 5:45pm   #8
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Ok, thanks to one and all for your thoughts.

The amounts in the hand history are misleading - "QueenLuise raised - $22.50" means she raised my bet by another $22.50. I folded.

In hindsight I should have called the flop bet rather than raised it, but I like to call as infrequently as possible, and in 50NL I think it's good to be seen to be raising as most players are quite passive.

Oh well...
Old Aug 24, 2005, 6:22pm   #9
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

To recap to the important stuff.

The pot = 34

The bet is 22 to you...

You have 34 left.

If you call, that last 12 is going with it...

So really, you are betting 34 to win 68...2:1.

I think its REAL close, and I don't think either folding or going allin is wrong enoguh where you should lose sleep over it.
---------------

However, The raise on the flop i'm not crazy about. I think its too big a hunk of your stack. As we see looking at what happens if the opponent comes over the top...you have put yourself in a no win situation.

But I do like raising on the flop. But I'd be more into making it a callable bet. Maybe raise another 6 or 7 instead of 13 or 14.

Here's why: If you are ahead, you are a 4-1 favorite, maybe better. If you are behind, you are a 2-1 dog or worse. By raising it up big, you are scaring away the 4-1, and giving a bunch of money to the 2-1 situation.

You want to do the opposite. Keep the 4-1, and don't give too much money to the 2-1.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:34pm   #10
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Is that what the crappy site you're plugging says to do?

EDIT - Spam post this refers to has since been deleted