THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:51pm   #11
jpps1
Brunson

jpps1

Give Pacific a try, but I personally had an awful experience with the site...extremely slow cashouts, poor connection, and the lack of multitabling (which isn't a problem for you yet).

However, the micro-limit tables are pretty much the same everywhere, so you might want to try a better site like Pokerstars.
jpps1 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:56am   #12
DJDave
Doyle Look-alike

DJDave

Oh man I really don't think you learn ANYTHING playing play money tables. Because people basically don't give a sh1t and play like that.

Some sites have $1 SnGs. It's practically nothing to lose but the play is real and people will play to win so much more than they will at play money.
DJDave est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:47am   #13
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice

As another new starter I can agree with the views on play money tables. I tried it briefly to learn the software but I can truthfully say I have learned precisely dick about how to play properly - astronomic flop percentages, betting capped at every street....it's just not a reflection of how things work (although some might say micro limits at Pacific are close). Definitely take the advice here and play for real.
Mr Beaks est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 1:10pm   #14
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

How does one clear a site´s "invite a friend" bonuses?

The same way you clear its deposit bonus?

Any differences in clearing the invitor´s bonus and the invited´s?
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:52pm   #15
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

The invitor has to wait for the invitee to clear his/her bonus. You basically just sit there hoping your invitee plays enough hands for you to get your bonus. And thats that.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:02pm   #16
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Ok, but does the invitee clear the bonus in the same way (at the same pace) as one would clear a deposit bonus at this particular site?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:46pm   #17
SlightlyAskew
Brunson

SlightlyAskew

Oh, FFS, it's not a damn multi-level marketing scheme. Just go put down some money and play some f*cking cards.

I thought this was a poker forum. For all the time and effort you're going to to get some freaking bonus dollars, you could just play some solid NL at .50/1 levels and make the same amount.

Besides, this is the Beginner's Corner. This discussion has strayed from a decent play money vs. real money debate to one that should fall under "Non-Poker Topics", "Site Review", or, "I don't really want to play poker, I just want to make a quick buck by cornholing the reward systems in online poker".

Sorry, I'm bitter. Just go to the site you're thinking of, and read the rules for bonuses for that site. It is impractical to try to discuss all of the nuances of all of the rules of all of the sites here.

Oh, and play money tables are worse than worthless.
SlightlyAskew est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 2:15am   #18
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

I am sorry if my questions are stupid.
I just thought it would be better to have a plan when one started playing instead of starting and learning by making mistakes.

I AM soon running out of questions, though.
But here are 2 more stupid questions:

How many people (percentage) take advantage of the invite-bonuses and invite people?

How many do they invite (roughly average)?

I apologize for the sillyness of these questions.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 8:45am   #19
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

The seconds are counting down... do you raise, call or fold? Now's the time to make a decision.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 3:30pm   #20
SlightlyAskew
Brunson

SlightlyAskew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mushroom
I am sorry if my questions are stupid.
Your questions are not stupid, they are simply wrong place, wrong time. Discussing the methods of destroying small rabbits with hand grenades would be fine on an alt.tv.montypython newsgroup. Probably would get people a little peeved, however, on alt.tv.discovery.animalplanet. Again, with these questions (especially the percentage question), setup a new thread with a poll (maybe in the player's lounge). I'm trying to help here. I don't anticipate you getting more than one or two responses to questions like this on this thread.

That being said, the reason I am bitter is that I don't particularly like how the human element has been removed from this game by online play. I don't like how the game I have loved for 15 years has become like some complex mathematical equation where people think that if I can just bet a certain amount, with certain cards, in a certain position, they can be an overall winner. It's like they are turning it into blackjack...people want to discover some "poker methodology" where if they follow the rules, they can win 52% of the time, making them a winner in the long run.

This game is more than just math. It's a study of human behaviour and the application thereof. It's the thrill of besting your opponents. It's the pure joy of watching a guys neck start to twitch when you spank him time and time again, trash talking the whole time. The math is important, but if you fail to grasp the excitement of the human element of poker, you're missing the whole point. You may as well buy a bot, have it multi-table some .05/.10 tables, and go do something else that you actually enjoy.

Online poker is a place to hone your mathematical skills for the live games. I know there are people out there who have played online poker for a long time and have never sat down at a live table. There is a giant black hole in their cold, dead souls, and I pity them. Therefore, when you start asking all these detailed questions about bonuses, whoring, sites, etc., I read you as another newbie who received an email from his "Get Rich Quick" newsletter, saying online poker is the new Amway, and I simultaneously pity and despise you.

Ok, rant over.
SlightlyAskew est déconnecté   Reply With Quote