German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:08am   #11
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr
And why would you suggest for a beginner to read WLLH and then jump into shorthand play? Considering that WLLH is aimed at longhand limit and the fact that most beginners get murdered playing shorthand, I'm curious as to why you feel this is solid advice.
I thought the principles of longhand play could easily translate into shorthand play. And since I have been told previously that you learn faster by playing more hands, I thought shorthand would be smart. I understand this was incorrect now.

Quote:
LM, have you actually played for real money yet?
Only a handful of hours. I have been waiting for a plan (guide) to form before I really start, so I don´t have to re-invent the wheel.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:57pm   #12
scottqrt
Brunson

scottqrt
Send a message via MSN to scottqrt

You can use whatever guide you wish, I suspect it will not impact your game, or more to the point, the lack of one.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:55pm   #13
BIFFEN
Brunson

BIFFEN

where and under what name do you play? I'll be there...
BIFFEN est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 12:29pm   #14
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIFFEN
where and under what name do you play? I'll be there...
So you want his pennys?
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 2:32pm   #15
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Here's a better plan from "internet texas hold'em" page 258

LEVEL BANKROLL AVG.HOURS OF PLAY

$.50-$1 $500 100
$1-$2 $800 100
$2-$4 $1,200 100
$3-$6 $1,800 100
$5-$10 $2,500 225
$10-$20 $5,000 125
$15-$30 $7,500 100
$20-$40 $10,000

Mathew Hilger is far too underated compared to Lee Jones or SKlanky's beginer book.He's much better and deeper than either-at least for beginners.Jones book is very easy to read and use,though,so it still should be your first book.I think one should read and memorize the styles of all the poker books,as there are so many players that play exactly like advised, if you recognize the style they're playing,you can read their cards much more easilly.

I wish that I had read Lee Jones as my first poker book rather than hellmuth's "playing like the pidgeons" .
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 3:28pm   #16
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

I have edited the guide again. Now I have some specific questions to further improve it:

Should there be included an alternative site to start out with for those who struggle with slow computers and/or connections?

Which site would that be?

I understand giving me times and hourly rates to each step is too much work that you bother, but answering the following questions would help a lot:

How long does it really take to go through each of the books mentioned in the way it is recommended? (I haven´t done this myself, so I am only guessing)
(I am looking for an estimate of course)

How many hours (estimate) does it take to get to a level (of hourly rate) which you will have difficulties improving even slightly the following years?

What can you expect the hourly rate (never multitabling) to be at this point?
(I understand this varies from case to case, but I am looking for an estimate of the average)
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:34pm   #17
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
"The sample plan above suggests that you will need to play 800 hours on average before you can begin to play $20-$40...once you reach $20-$40,you could add over $1,600 a month to your income playing as little as 10 hours a week" Matthew Hilger,'internet texas hold'em" page 259
Equals 43 hours/month=37.2bb/hour;but I think he meant day rather than week.he also claims variance is so great that one needs 1,400 hours just to be sure of breaking even with expert play obviously he thinks that normal variance is much less than that and he normally plays just one table and is a pro(unlike Lee Jones or Russell Fox).

As for studying if you've found all the good books(at least two dozen) and study them full time in 3-4 months you'll be at the basic level of "expert"in any subject(=1,444-1,926 hours of study) Have done this for several subjects and poker seems fairly airheaded and easy comparatively.PS it will take you almost as long to find all the good books to study
Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:45pm   #18
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

Why don't you just pick up a book, play microlimits a little on one side and then you will know so much more, that you will have a better sense for what step 2 should be than now.

The time you try to make a structured plan now is time wasted.

Read Books, read articles, enter discussions in forums, play and think. That's all to it.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:10pm   #19
Snaggle
Professional

Quote:
Read Books, read articles, enter discussions in forums, play and think. That's all to it.
good points Xen,that's all there is to any talent is study to gain knowledge,practice of basic skill until they become automatic and experience to prove the value of the first two

But come on Hilger's plan does answer Mushroom's question and winning 100bb at a level before moving up with a bankroll of 350 bb is also pretty sound advice from Hilger.Bankroll management is as vital as poker playing ability to win-the first serious lesson experience taught me
Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:15pm   #20
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

He will get the bankrollmanagement and other knowledge from doing what I stated above.