THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Oct 23, 2005, 7:54pm   #21
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot Snaggle for really helping me with the missing pieces of the puzzle.

I think Hilger DID mean 10 hours per week:
10 hours per week = roughly 40 hours per month
$1600 : 40hrs = $40/hr or 1BB/hr on $20-40

How high is the probability of going broke if you start at $0.05-0.10 on Pacific with only $20 (25 including the bonus) with only the knowledge gained from step 1 and 3?
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:18pm   #22
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

What a ridiculous question.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 10:35pm   #23
Subversive
Doyle Look-alike

Subversive

I have done the calculations and the probability of going broke is 71.3411976%. Any other questions?
Subversive est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 10:52pm   #24
Metalstar
Flop Artist

Metalstar
Send a message via MSN to Metalstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversive
I have done the calculations and the probability of going broke is 71.3411976%. Any other questions?
WHAT???

71.3411976%???????

try 71.3411977% - What were you thinking?
Metalstar est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 10:53pm   #25
Subversive
Doyle Look-alike

Subversive

Bah. Math is hard.
Subversive est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:00am   #26
sxm79
Flop Artist

sxm79

Lord Mushroom, thinking of all the money you will earn in the future and making big master plans is almost certainly the wrong way to start playing/ learning poker, IMO.

If you are not interested in the game but just in earning money, you won't be winning any!

So go ahead, grab a good book (Hilger's ITH is all right, Miller/Sklansky/Malmuth's SSH is more advanced), work your way through and start playing for a few weeks, applying what you have read.

You said you only have a couple of hours of poker experience. Are you sure you like it? Maybe after a few weeks of playing you realize you don't. And then all the time and work you invested in asking questions an writing guides and master plans was for nothing.

Just my two cents.
sxm79 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:15am   #27
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

well he's from Norway and might even be one of Gus Hansen bacgammon group.I bet Gus has inspired a lot Norwegians to play poker
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:30am   #28
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How high is the probability of going broke if you start at $0.05-0.10 on Pacific with only $20 (25 including the bonus) with only the knowledge gained from step 1 and 3?

How high? Six inches. But then, as my wife says, never ask a man to estimate - he'll always exaggerate.

Lord Mushroom, I'm not going to try and trawl through your 'guide', less still implement it. As I said previously, such ventures are doomed to incompleteness and inaccuracy before you start. And, by your own admission, none of it is backed up with experience.

As for going broke on Pacific with an initial deposit, I think it is possible to stay afloat at microlimits with the minimum deposit, though only by playing the tightest of tight games and counter to Pacific's predominant player culture. But surely only recreational players are likely to be happy playing 5/10c poker for hours on end, and the purely recreationals do not like folding preflop 20 hands on the bounce.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:11pm   #29
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Hi

I'm going to write a guide to building a nuclear reactor

I've never done this of course, but I know I'm going to need some kind of uranium derived fuel source. In the absense of plutonium, I've decided to go with dog fur.

i don't have any lead so i've had to draw a radiation shield on computer paper and attach it with electrical tape.

obviously as I have no actual experience of reactor design i've had to make a number of illogical guesses regarding rate of reaction, field containment and early position play.

Safe disposal of radioactive waste is a key problem to overcome, but I've rung the council and they're going to pick it up off the kerb outside my flat every Sunday morning.

I've also been taking dancing lessons, which I view as a positive use of my time in spite of my inability to walk, run or jump at this juncture.

Kc
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:15pm   #30
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Hey hey, welcome back you great Yin.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote