THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Oct 22, 2005, 2:17am   #1
lilsewon
Doyle Look-alike

lilsewon
Send a message via AIM to lilsewon
Default $5/$10 is tough!

geez, i tried some $5/$10 after getting sufficient role, and it's tuff! I didn't think it would be that different, but it is. I juss thought it would be a less # of loose players, which there is. But it's more than that...one thing I notice was there's a HUGE jump in the # of turn raises...some are bluffs, some are top pairs, some are semi-bluffs, and some are the real stuff. Basically there's a lot more raising and aggressiveness, and it's annoying, and really hard to play if you don't have good reads. So I'm moving back down. Good lesson learned, I'm not ready for $5/$10. Day 1, i wuz up $200, day 2 down below that, spent the next 2 days trying to come back up, then today back down even further. So yeah, overall I'd say i'm not ready. Back to basics!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 22, 2005, 3:25am   #2
Elizabeth
Grinder

Elizabeth

I'm not going to argue with you and tell you you're ready, but $200 swings are nothing at 5/10; you can't judge based on that kind of swing/sample size.

Remember to think about the amounts in terms of BB. You're not used to seeing those sized swings in your bankroll. Plus if you're still playing a lot at Pacific, you're going to have plenty of idiots at your table which can make your swings even more exaggerated. 5/10 does not weed out the idiots (fortunately). I've had guys at 10/20 cap every street with me drawing to a backdoor flush with 73s.

I'm not trying to talk you into anything. But you've been working on a solid, tight game. Provided you really have a large enough bankroll, don't let a few small swings scare you off forever.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:19pm   #3
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks liz. Exactly what I was going to post. 20BB swing is... nothing.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:42pm   #4
lilsewon
Doyle Look-alike

lilsewon

Okay well...I was kinda embarrassed to say how much I dropped down...but I'm probably down about 100BB right now. A lot of it was from shorthand...which I'm not the most experienced at. But I'm almost certain a lot of that was a bad streak...cuz I experienced a very unusual amount of suckouts and bad cards (say 20%WtSD and 30%W$SD), so nothing was working. The longhand tables I seemed to handle OKAY...but still they're pretty tuff. I don't think I know how to handle myself yet in heads up pots that I don't hit. I tend to just fold to any aggression if i don't have any type of pair or draw. But it seems like ppl in 5/10 are overaggressive and try to push ppl out a lot. So it's a whole different ball game. For the most part I was able to make money in longhand...but one bad session accumulated into something that brought me in the negatives. It's quite fascinating how tilt can be so subtle that you swear and feel ur not on tilt, but u actually are. So yeah, I'm still deciding what I should do.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:14pm   #5
JoaoPinto
River Rat

JoaoPinto

I'd imagine there just arent many bad players at that level so it will be more difficult to make a profit. If you were rubbish you would lose hundreds of dollars and would hardly keep going back for more.

Also you said you moved up to this limit after building up a good bankroll, is it possible you had a pretty good run of cards before switching up the level and are now experiencing the down side?
JoaoPinto est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:59pm   #6
lilsewon
Doyle Look-alike

lilsewon

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the reason is, either down swing, or not ready. I'm sure it's a bit of both. I juss didn't feel comfortable messing with that much money, and the competition is much tougher, so I've moved back down for awhile...to one day try again when the roll and confidence says so.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:08pm   #7
MannyIsGod
Professional

MannyIsGod
Send a message via AIM to MannyIsGod

Well, its not 5/10 for me, but I flip between .25-.50 and .5-1 all the time right now. If I'm feeling good, I play .5/1 as much as I can. But if I'm feeling down or just not feeling confident at the moment I have no problem dropping back down at least for awhile.

And because I'm still pretty new to all of this, I don't multitable .5-1 at all, but I will run up to 3 tables on .25/.5.

I know I'm getting better with almost every session I play. And I know I would probably be fine just playing .5-1, but for now I don't mind going back and forth because it tends to curtail my downswings and help me from going entirely on tilt at times.
MannyIsGod est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:33pm   #8
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

If you play scared you cannot play at your best.
To play fearlessly is an important part of the game, don't mess with that if you are not ready for the stakes yet.

If you have the bankroll and the guts take another shot, if it works, great, if not go a limit back again and regain confidence.
Rinse. Repeat.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:02pm   #9
Kazz
Grinder

Kazz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaoPinto
I'd imagine there just arent many bad players at that level so it will be more difficult to make a profit.
Trust me, there are a *lot* of bad players playing $5/$10 limit. There are even a lot playing $15/$30 and higher. I don't normally look at $50/$100 games, but I even saw a crazy player I'd taken a lot from at $15/$30 playing up there.

I'd agree that there are probably less bad players at $5/$10 than there are in smaller games, but there are still way more than enough out there. They may be bad in different ways though, and that requires some adjustment. Just don't believe that they're all good players, because they're not.
Kazz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 5:25am   #10
ImAllInNow
Grinder

ImAllInNow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaoPinto
I'd imagine there just arent many bad players at that level so it will be more difficult to make a profit.
Trust me, there are a *lot* of bad players playing $5/$10 limit. There are even a lot playing $15/$30 and higher. I don't normally look at $50/$100 games, but I even saw a crazy player I'd taken a lot from at $15/$30 playing up there.

I'd agree that there are probably less bad players at $5/$10 than there are in smaller games, but there are still way more than enough out there. They may be bad in different ways though, and that requires some adjustment. Just don't believe that they're all good players, because they're not.
Hell, I've seen baffoons playing at the $30/$60 tables at PokerStars. People just do not fold to turn raises at these high limits. I have made A KILLING (Re: ~$6000) playing for short amounts of time at $15/$30 and $30/$60 and waiting for big hands. This is not to say other people should do this (I'm just INSANE and out of my mind), but I actually see more solid players at $5/$10 than at $30/$60 sometimes.

Anywho, I have found that the when players are playing really aggressive, there are actually times that check-calling down is the best play. Sometimes you just know that a players turn raise could just as easily be a bluff as the real thing and you're going to have to call him down. With the number of people that bluff the river no matter what when you check the turn, I actually think I show a profit checking to induce a bluff against a single opponent without ridiculously obvious draws out there.

I can't really give specific advice because I'm INSANELY lucky and should be broke three or four times over but instead am up 10 grand.
ImAllInNow est déconnecté   Reply With Quote