THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:36am   #1
AJDMB05
Brunson

AJDMB05
Default I need help. what a month.

EDIT (9:30 EST): Oh boy, you don't want to read this. I'm serious. Walk away right now. Don't post negatively to this because I'm giving you three or so lines of warning.

So ever since I moved to campus I've been losing money online. I ended September up $20 or so, and ended October -$210. I don't care that that's not a lot of money to you, it is to me. Think in relative amounts to a BR that was never over $1,100.

I don't have a "best game" anymore. I don't even have time for MTTs and I know those are a waste at this point. I wait patiently for hands that I can get paid off on and lose with them. The small amounts of money I lost today were in two $7 SNGs, once with K-K vs. K-8 when I got runner-runner flushed and once with 7-7 vs. K-J where I flopped the set and was rivered by a straight. Whatever, I've already been losing a lot, I should expect to lose when I'm ahead.

Then I sit for $50 in a cash game because I'm pissed, pick up Ad-Kd and run it into K-K pre-flop. I wait until my hand comes up, and I flop Kd-5d-Qh with Qs-Qc. I bet the hand hard, and 7d-6d stays in and catches a flush and I pay him off for a $15 all-in on the river when the 2d comes up. I just should've known.

I've been through this before but I don't know what to do because now I'm scared to play. Entirely scared. Nothing I hold is going to be good enough and I'm never going to get another hand where I hold the top set over middle set and get paid off or something like that. It doesn't matter that I'm getting my money in with the best hand or that one of my top tier catagory one hands runs into one of the 2 hands it can lose to. that doesn't feel fucking good anymore because I come out with the worst of it ALL the time lately.

I feel like I should take time away but I've never been this big of a monthly loser in the last 8-9 months. Seriously, what the fuck? Do I really have to wait another 6 months or year or whatever for this to even out? How does everyone else do it without running into horrible luck? I hate taking time away because I love playing but I just hate my existance when I play because these friggin' people who want nothing more than to get their money in as a huge underdog (obviously they can't know what I have but that's the tilt talking).

Seriously. I just want to throw my goddamn laptop out a window and never play again because all I'm going to do is lose money. That's the right attitude, right?

Edit: Yes, I'm cognizant of the fact that I'm not the only person in the world to lose this amount of money because a bunch of idiots cracked my hands. A little thing like that isn't going to stop me, I should not be losing this much.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:30pm   #2
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Welcome to the wonderful world of variance.

IMO a large part of what determines someone's success at poker is how they handle the downswings that EVERY PLAYER SUFFERS.

You recognise you're on tilt. DO NOT PLAY SCARED. If you're not happy playing hard when you've got the best of it then don't play until you are, FULL STOP.

In 2 years I've had 2 spells of horrendous variance, just as you've described. Try taking some time away from the game, or if you're as hooked as most of us try a different game for low stakes. If you have a bad experience in the deep water, try moving to the shallow end for a while to regain your confidence (which is understandably shattered).

Whatever you do, don't try to force it: the cards will return in time.

Good luck, and keep posting.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 3:52pm   #3
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

I've been having a horrible month, but NorthView's right, it's just variance. Taking a break is good, or playing a different game.

How people take the bad as well as the good is what sperates the wheat from the chaff in the poker world.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:50pm   #4
AJDMB05
Brunson

AJDMB05

I'm the chaff. Or whatever the negative part of that analogy is. I can't help it, I even used to be the Hellmuth of the video arcade as a kid.

I've been using CYB comments to track my recent $80 downswing and here's the way every SNG ended. I'm aware that the ending hand isn't as important as the other big ones, but here it is:

- K-K runs into the monster K-8 suited and loses to a flush (I was shortstacked to the tune of a few hundred chips. whatever.)
- 7-7 flops a set. K-J rivers a straight. that was a lot of chips.
- [Cash game] Q-Q runs into the monster 7-6 suited and loses to a river flush. Peace out $50.
- 22 hands and I'm out. Not one pot. Picked up AQ once, AJ once, AT twice. Either got bluffed, rivered or flat out folded before the flop because of the action.
- 5 handed, I'm SB, tilty guy is BB. I'm short stack with $1100, BB has $1300. Blinds are 50/100. UTG and UTG+1 fold, button calls. I move all in with 7-7. BB wakes up with Ac-Kc and turns a king.

This is pathetic, now I need all the money I've loaned to my poker buddies back because I'm starting to become underrolled for my $6+$1 SNG (which is pathetic. I miss the $20+2 game.)
Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:39pm   #5
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh boy, you don't want to read this. I'm serious. Walk away right now. Don't post negatively to this because I'm giving you three or so lines of warning.
I enjoy bad beat stories because I feel comforted after I get snapped in a similar situation. I was in a tournament today when I was pushed all in by QQ, and I held AK. The flop gave me a K, but the river gave my opponent a Q.

Certainly the stakes were not nearly as high as what you've been playing, but I know the feeling. You want to pull your hair out.
theonlythree est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2005, 6:51am   #6
scottqrt
Brunson

scottqrt
Send a message via MSN to scottqrt

Northview is correct. My first serious downswing happened in July, and I thought I was done playing poker. I couldn't believe that I was not winning and couldn't stop losing. So, I took the advice that has been donated to us by Ptips members and treated it the same way as I do the Strategy advice. I took what I thought applied and got on with it.

I stopped for about three weeks, re-read some books, articles etc. I really concentrated on what I determined were weak points in my play and focussed on what I was doing wrong. Then, I worked my way back to where I was when I crashed. When you slip again, it will be easier to recognize and you can pull the shute earlier.

Good luck.
Old Nov 01, 2005, 8:43am   #7
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree
I enjoy bad beat stories because I feel comforted after I get snapped in a similar situation. I was in a tournament today when I was pushed all in by QQ, and I held AK. The flop gave me a K, but the river gave my opponent a Q.
Well done, this is the most inappropriate use of the phrase "bad beat" I've ever seen.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2005, 3:08pm   #8
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

I was supposed to go to the prom with this total hottie, but got a bad beat and went with her ugly friend instead.

Now this is the most innapropriate use of the phrase "bad beat"
Old Nov 01, 2005, 4:15pm   #9
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

You're talking about a very small number of hands here. Everyone (and I mean everyone - Phil Ivey all the way down to Joe "the newbie fish" Doe) goes through losing streaks. Its part of the game. After playing this game long enough, you'll realize this, and will stop complaining about it.

Instead of groaning about someone "drawing out a flush with 76 against your QQ", why don't you take a look at the hand history and see if you could have played it better. Maybe give him poorer odds to draw by betting bigger? You can always control things in No Limit.

Relax. Stop blaming your opponents. Look inward. While I'm sure you're going through some bad luck right now, I'd just about guarantee that you're not playing great poker yourself.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2005, 4:27pm   #10
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthView
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree
Well done, this is the most inappropriate use of the phrase "bad beat" I've ever seen.
Why?
theonlythree est déconnecté   Reply With Quote