THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Limit Hold'em and Miscellaneous Strategy

Old Nov 07, 2005, 11:56pm   #1
peenutz
Flop Artist

peenutz
Default Greetings to all...I'm a newbie here and in Holdempoker too.

I have only been playing since May, and started playing on PokerStars last month for practice. My problem is I have big swings up and down. I can get in a groove for the first 30 minutes to an hour, and then I seem to play really bad, making awful decision. For example, I went from increasing my chip total from 4,573 to over 5,700 in the matter of a day, but I was back down to under 2,600 the same day. Today, I am back up to over 4,100. I notice this happens when I get past a certain number of minutes playing online. I don't think this happens when I play against friends. Is it because I'm staring at the screen too long? I have a theory about Holdem....playing hole cards if they're suited and no lower than 3 cards between them. For example, I tend to call on J-7 suited, but J-6, but I like to play A-10, A-J, K-Q, K-J, only if they are suited, but I think I should throw them away if they're not. My reasoning is as follows. If you have A-10, A-J, K-Q, K-J, and they're suited, you still have all your possible ranking hands preflop, like Royal Flush all the way down to high card. If you're playing K-9, all the way down A-5 suited, the royal flush is removed as a possibility, unless you hit it on the river or turn,
which is a very remote possibility. I subscribe to Roy Rounder's Poker Tips newsletter, and I have Phil Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros book too, but I lent it to a friend.
Is it worth chasing a straight, or other possible hand if it is offsuit, and the cards aren't high cards, like A-10? A straight is a fairly good hand, but 5 hands beat it, and what about overcards?
Do you immediately throw your hands away on the flop, turn and/or river,
if you see overcards? I think about it...but I also see if the other players are checking, raising, calling, or folding?
How much does the other players in the hand being played influence your playing style? It influences to me to the degree of my chip stack, and my
best possible hand at the time, and whether there are any overcards that could give my opponents a better hand than me?
Do you play the players, the hole cards dealt to you and the community cards (flop,turn and river) or both? I try to play based on both.
I have questions on when it is best to trap your opponent, and when it is best to aggressively bet.
Do you calculate your possible best hand before and after every betting interval, along with your opponents? I try to do this, to see if I'm in a position of strength or weakness.
I try to bluff occasionally, not only with my cards, but by deliberately playing bad hands.
Has anyone done this to feign strength?
I tried to call bluffers when I know I have a better hand than they do by raising and reraising.
When is the best time to go allin without scaring others from putting more chips into the pot? I try to extract as many chips as possible after the flop
and the turn and before the river, before going allin after the river.
Do you alter your style of play for the situation, from loose and aggressive
to tight and passive or somewhere in between? I try to do so.
Is there an ideal time for a bluff? I think the worst time to do it is when you're shortstacked, because of the possibility of someone who has a superior hand calling or raising. My theory is to do it when you can afford to lose the bluff. An example would be as chip leader who is well ahead of the other players. That's my theory.
Would you risk going allin on a bluff? I think this is a dumb move personally?
Would you risk going allin preflop? I think this is a potentially dumb move as well. Why? Let's say you flop pocket rockets and go allin. You flop top pair, and that's great, but you can still be beaten by 8 hands above top pair. I know, because I have seen people do it and get burned. I have gone allin on A-K (suited to make it better) and won, but I think A-K (suited) is a potential better pair to go allin on because you have more
possible ways to win, from Royal Flush all the way down to high card.
Sorry for rambling...but I think I'm doing rather well for a beginner. For example, on PokerStars.com, I was given an initial allocation of 1,000 chips, and managed to build that stack up to 5,700 chips in about a month.
It's a little lower, but still it's over 4,100 chips, which I think is quite good for a little over a month of playing. I don't buy or rebuy chips. I win them or lose them by playing others. I am in typically in the 5/10 NoLimit Holdem rooms. I'm developing my own strategies as well as learning by playing live and online, reading books, subscribing to online tips, and watching it on TV like European Poker Tour, World Series of Poker, Party
Poker.com World Open, UltimatePokerTourChallenge, and other events
like the Poker Superstars Invitational Tournament.
peenutz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 08, 2005, 4:01am   #2
Emain2
Doyle Look-alike

Emain2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a lot of post with a lot of questions

The search button may help you find answers to some of the questions you have (and probably answers to questions you haven't thought of yet as well). Failing that framing individual questions in a context may well get you a more specific response because as I am always learning in poker everything depends on the situation so you won't get a concrete answer to a vague queston.
Emain2 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2005, 2:06pm   #3
peenutz
Flop Artist

peenutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emain2
Thats a lot of post with a lot of questions

The search button may help you find answers to some of the questions you have (and probably answers to questions you haven't thought of yet as well). Failing that framing individual questions in a context may well get you a more specific response because as I am always learning in poker everything depends on the situation so you won't get a concrete answer to a vague queston.
Yes, perhaps I should ask these questions somewhere else. I have
questions about betting strategy as well, with regards how to bet in
relation to the hole cards and hands.
Old Nov 08, 2005, 2:07pm   #4
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2005, 2:08pm   #5
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'm assuming you're talking about play money here? 90% of the guys you're up against in play money games do not have any idea what they are doing, nor do they care.

Think about making a deposit on Pokerstars. You can deposit as little as $25, and play some of the micro-limit games on there.

Also, read the strategy articles on this site. Those are what morphed me into a winning player when I first started playing poker.

Old Nov 08, 2005, 6:24pm   #6
AJS
Doyle Look-alike

AJS

What emain2 said about the post, I quit reading 1/2 way down ...

What Ozone said about getting off the play money games and reading the strategy section. Play the lowest limits of real money, it will be much more educational.

If I may add.....

SLOW DOWN
Buy Winning Low Limit Holdem by Lee Jones and read it several times, there is so much information packed into that book for beginners you will miss a lot the first time through. Then play for a while and read it again.
Pick a type of game to play - Limit, NL, Tournament, (recommend Limit) stick with it for a while and read the entire history of threads on this site for that type of game from oldest to newest. What an education!, You will be suprised how many of your questions get answered and how things start to come together.

Let your freind Keep Phill's book. He will think your a great guy and you will be much better off.
AJS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2005, 8:22pm   #7
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

FFS. Getting 1/2 way through that is little short of heroic.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2005, 8:32pm   #8
peenutz
Flop Artist

peenutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone
Okay, I'm assuming you're talking about play money here? 90% of the guys you're up against in play money games do not have any idea what they are doing, nor do they care.

Think about making a deposit on Pokerstars. You can deposit as little as $25, and play some of the micro-limit games on there.

Also, read the strategy articles on this site. Those are what morphed me into a winning player when I first started playing poker.
Yes ozone, I'm talking about play money at PokerStars. I have managed to get back up to over 5,300 chips. Actually I do know what I'm doing, but I'm using PokerStars playmoney to practice before I think about entering freeroll tournaments, which I think is the next eventual step. I do play against friends , who are above average in terms of knowledge and how they play, but they aren't tournament-calibre professional types, at least not yet. One thing I like about PokerStars is their information with regards to hands, and where you see it with regards to when you are in the small
blind, big blind, or some other position. I think I am doing well, but I can
get undisciplined at times, which basically means I'm chasing or getting
involved in pots that I shouldn't be, because of my hole cards, or the flop,
turn and/or river. I think I play better than most people already, even though I have only about 6 months experience. I have beaten players who have significantly more experience playing Holdem already. I think poker
is a combination of luck (the cards dealt, flop, turn and the river), strategy, and skill (how to play and deal with each situation), as well as acumen, like mathematical/analytical ability. Some people are born to be poker players, others are not. Another stat I find useful in the Stats tab I believe is Pots Won Without Showdown, and they give you the number you've won in the session, and Pots Won With Showdown (% of pots won with showdown). This is the telling stat for me. My Pots Won With Showdown can range from low 20s when I'm playing recklessly to as high as 80%. The best stat is chip count, what I started with in the session, and what I had when I exited. http://www.freeroll-tracker.com is where I have an account. I'm thinking about entering some of the free rolls listed there, so I don't risk anything, but I'm getting tournament experience. If I can win some of these, the next step would be try to qualify for some of the big pro events like World Series Of Poker, World Poker Tour, and/or European Poker Tour events. That is down the road. I want to learn at my own rate...but I think I'm picking up the game fairly well, because I'm not making the mistakes I did a few months ago.
I tried to download pokerchamps.com software (Gus Hansen's website), but I had some problems. The same thing happened with Phil Hellmuth's UltimateBet.com website. I think I know what I'm doing generally in terms of when to fold, raise, call, reraise, and go allin, but I could probably use more pointers, and importantly opponents to finetune my game before I play for money. I have also used poker simulation software like the Poker Superstars Invitational Tournament game with (Brunson, Chan, Cloutier,Greenstein, Hansen, Ivey, Lederer and Reese). There is a marked difference, the simulation software in the game plays like the pros would, i.e. conventional style with the occasional bluff, and rarely play bad hands.
As you have noted, many of the players online don't have a clue or don't
care what they are doing when they are playing. PokerStars has very aggressive players at the 5/10 NLH tables. I'm playing there, because I'm
new, and I think I can catch a lot of overly aggressive players. The chips
wagered on a single hand can be thousands, and the pot can sometimes
be in 10,000 chip range or more, which I think is a lot of chips in the pot
for a 5/10 game, considering the initial chip allocation at PokerStars is
1,000 chips. Thanks for your advice ozone. I appreciate it. My lack of
experience and the fact I'm always willing to learn to improve my game
makes me not an ideal tournament player just yet. However, one thing
that is in my favor is my mathematical/analytical skills which are well
above average, according to my grades in school and aptitude tests. That helps a lot when you're playing poker.
Old Nov 08, 2005, 9:05pm   #9
AJS
Doyle Look-alike

AJS

Ok, it happened to me again.
AJS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2005, 10:32pm   #10
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by peenutz
[but I'm using PokerStars playmoney to practice before I think about entering freeroll tournaments
Dude, whats the hold up? You have nothing to lose and something to gain. Enter them now.