THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Limit Hold'em and Miscellaneous Strategy

Old Nov 08, 2005, 10:33pm   #11
peenutz
Flop Artist

peenutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS
What emain2 said about the post, I quit reading 1/2 way down ...

What Ozone said about getting off the play money games and reading the strategy section. Play the lowest limits of real money, it will be much more educational.

If I may add.....

SLOW DOWN
Buy Winning Low Limit Holdem by Lee Jones and read it several times, there is so much information packed into that book for beginners you will miss a lot the first time through. Then play for a while and read it again.
Pick a type of game to play - Limit, NL, Tournament, (recommend Limit) stick with it for a while and read the entire history of threads on this site for that type of game from oldest to newest. What an education!, You will be suprised how many of your questions get answered and how things start to come together.

Let your freind Keep Phil's book. He will think your a great guy and you will be much better off.
Thanks for the advice AJS. I am doing being ok so far. I have 6 times as much in chips at PokerStars as I did at the same point last month playing 5/10 NLH. I do have some questions about betting strategy with
relation to the hole cards and the community cards, and relative strength of hand as well. Well Phil's book is somewhat limiting in some respects, even though I have only partially read through it. He recommends buying
more than one book on poker, and says if you buy his book, there are others you should buy others as well. Hellmuth must be somewhat on the ball if you look at his track record. Sure, he's immature and a whiner, but you can't argue with how many WSOP bracelets he has, and his career earnings. I will check out the books section on this website to see what people recommend as well as the USENET groups rec.gambling.poker,
and rec.gambling.poker.moderated.
peenutz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 08, 2005, 10:35pm   #12
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Quote:
Originally Posted by peenutz
http://www.freeroll-tracker.com is where I have an account. I'm thinking about entering some of the free rolls listed there, so I don't risk anything, but I'm getting tournament experience. If I can win some of these, the next step would be try to qualify for some of the big pro events like World Series Of Poker, World Poker Tour, and/or European Poker Tour events.
Okay I'm starting to think you're a troll. But if you are really so naive to believe that the progression goes from donkey internet freeroll to WSOP, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

Not trying to be rude or anything, I just want to make sure you're aware of how misguided your thinking is.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2005, 10:43pm   #13
CBone
Microdonk till ∞

CBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CBone Send a message via Skype™ to CBone

Pal, no offense intended, but getting from 1000 playmoney chips to 5000...I guess my dog could do that in 5 hours, and I don't even have one, so how should I know how good he plays poker? Seriously, deposit some bucks into a pokersite with microlimit games, and you will be unpleasantly surprised to see how real poker plays out. These playmoney games are good as long as you are not sure if a full house beats a flush, but you can't learn anything more than that from them.
Old Nov 09, 2005, 1:23am   #14
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone
Also, read the strategy articles on this site. Those are what morphed me into a winning player when I first started playing poker.
no doubt i'll catch grief for this, but having read those articles over again today, i'm amazed that I mistook twogun for a poker player. i pray someone else wrote those godawful things for him.

aside from the fact that large chunks sound suspiciously like they've been lifted from somewhere else, half of what they say is bollocks and the rest is subjective wank.

seriously, they're fucking awful.

TG will no doubt realise that he can't ban me without adding weight to my argument, or at least he does now. still it would be funny if he did.

see you the next time one of my multitude of fans links me to a thread where one of you needs your brain readjusting.

Kc
Old Nov 09, 2005, 2:04am   #15
queenie5
whore

queenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to queenie5 Send a message via Yahoo to queenie5

Dude, breathe, will ya?
Old Nov 09, 2005, 7:26am   #16
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

What, you want him to live?
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2005, 3:24pm   #17
peenutz
Flop Artist

peenutz

Quote:
Quote:
[but I'm using PokerStars playmoney to practice before I think about entering freeroll tournaments
Dude, whats the hold up? You have nothing to lose and something to gain. Enter them now.
I have only been playing for a few months, and I have other things to consider, since I'm also thinking about studying for various financial designations, so that will cut into my time for poker.
Old Nov 09, 2005, 3:27pm   #18
peenutz
Flop Artist

peenutz

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.freeroll-tracker.com is where I have an account. I'm thinking about entering some of the free rolls listed there, so I don't risk anything, but I'm getting tournament experience. If I can win some of these, the next step would be try to qualify for some of the big pro events like World Series Of Poker, World Poker Tour, and/or European Poker Tour events.
Okay I'm starting to think you're a troll. But if you are really so naive to believe that the progression goes from donkey internet freeroll to WSOP, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

Not trying to be rude or anything, I just want to make sure you're aware of how misguided your thinking is.
Ok...what would you suggest the next step would be after freerolls? I'm not a troll..but what would you suggest in terms of playing poker in terms of progressive tournaments? Ok, how about satellite events and smaller tournaments before the bigger tournaments?
Old Nov 09, 2005, 3:43pm   #19
peenutz
Flop Artist

peenutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBone
Pal, no offense intended, but getting from 1000 playmoney chips to 5000...I guess my dog could do that in 5 hours, and I don't even have one, so how should I know how good he plays poker? Seriously, deposit some bucks into a pokersite with microlimit games, and you will be unpleasantly surprised to see how real poker plays out. These playmoney games are good as long as you are not sure if a full house beats a flush, but you can't learn anything more than that from them.
Look, I'm already of what hands beat what hands already, and the concept of the kicker, in the event of two or more hands of the same rank tying for the pot. I'm using the playmoney games as a way to practice my skills. Why would you risk anything if you're just practicing? That would be the equivalent of getting a grade for studying, even though there won't be any examination on the material for a while. I don't play for 5 hours at a single session because I don't have the time to do that right now. Now you're being flat out ridiculous...how would a dog learn how to play online
poker that well? Teaching a dog simple tricks is one thing, but winning
hands in poker involves more than luck more often than not, meaning you must have some kind of strategy or skill to win.
Usually, I play in 2-3 hour sessions daily when I have the time on weekends. On weekdays, I play in 30-90 minute sessions when I have the time usually just once in the middle of the week. I play only 2-3 times/week right now. When I have more time, I play more.
Everyone was a newbie at some point. No one starts out as a seasoned
or skilled pro/amateur in anything. Pick a skill, any skill, and you will see
I'm right. Very few people are naturally gifted in a particular skill or skillset where they don't have to work hard/practice enough to excel at
whatever their chosen vocation/occupation/skill/profession is. Whether it is poker, music, sports, medicine, acting, art or whatever you can think of. Usually the people who excel are the ones who put in sufficient time in terms of work. In other words, it is very difficult to be a fluke and excel
in anything. There are of course exceptions to the rule, but in general,
most people who excel in anything are not flukes, they are the real deal.
Old Nov 09, 2005, 5:35pm   #20
phishead25
River Rat

phishead25

Congrats on learning what a kicker is.

The point is, if you're only playing play money tables, you're not learning any strategy, because the chips at stake don't mean anything to anybody.

It sounds like you're spending money on books about poker. Take the $25 you were going to spend on your next book, and start to play micro Fixed Limit hold'em, and read through Limit Hold Em forum like was already suggested. By the time you get to the end of the forum and the end of your $25, you'll probably find you're becoming a winning player. At the very least, you'll be ahead of where you'd be still playing for play money, or even freerolls (nobody's playing good poker in those either, at least in the early stages).

You don't need to spend hours at a time, my average session is probably only 1.5 hours.

I think you'll learn much better discipline and fundamentals by starting out playing Limit ring games. The occaisional NL tourney is fun, but if you want to learn, I'd say stick to Limit for now.
phishead25 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote