THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Limit Hold'em and Miscellaneous Strategy

Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:01pm   #51
2muchMONEY
[♥] PTips

2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to 2muchMONEY Send a message via AIM to 2muchMONEY Send a message via Yahoo to 2muchMONEY
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mushroom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchMONEY
1 raked hand should be enough...
That is what I think too. Thanks for the reply, 2muchMONEY.

Damn PokerTime if this is incorrect (doesn´t matter much, though).
RoyalVegasPoker (another prima skin) has the same $10 offer.

By the Way , war ich in Uruguay hob von dort mein anderes Verhalten
-forum spammer

2muchMONEY est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 08, 2005, 3:28pm   #52
peenutz
Flop Artist

peenutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mushroom

I am not really the one to ask this question to. I have only been to a few sites, and played very very little.

If I have to recommend something, I recommend PokerTime because of the free 10$ jumpstart. If you play badly or have bad luck and lose that free money, then I think PokerStars is the 2nd best option. It should be noted that I haven´t been to PokerTime ever, and PokerStars only a few minutes.

In terms of which sites to avoid it is hard to give advice. First, I know very little of the different sites. Second, there are so many sites. Third, there are so many different characteristics of each site, so they all have weaknesses and strengths in different areas which complicates things further.

So instead of trying to tell you which sites to avoid, I will rather say this: Read the beginner and intermediate section of the strategy guide on this site. Sign up on PokerTime (you should ask in this thread if this is a bad idea and if so why before you do) and play limit $0.05-0.10. If you can afford to prioritize buying "Winning Low Limit Holdem", do just that and read that in between playing, that would make your skills improve much quicker. When/if you reach $35, ask what you should do next.

I know practically nothing about non-holdem poker variants. But I know this: It is not recommended (except in the early testing stages) to play many variants as you might end up getting ok in many variants instead of good in one or two.

If you only stay in hands where you are almost certain to win the pot, there are probably some hands where "pot odds" (see strategy guide) would tell you not to fold, but it is very good to see you have in you the discipline to fold. Only playing real strong hands is generally smart. You are indeed improving.
Well...with regards to poker variants, I take the following approach in
terms of playing: I observe how the other players involved in any
hand are reacting to each betting interval (folding, checking,
calling, raising, reraising) during the hand. Another thing I factor is
relative hand strength in relation to my hole cards and the
community cards or upcards. If my hand strength is relatively strong,
then I bet or typically raise, unless someone is reraising and probably
has something that would beat my strong hand.
Another thing I look at is psychology...how players react when
they bet, or the types of bets they make. I feel the best players not
only make the right bets, but they know when to change their style
of play and not become too predictable. There are times when I play
tight and aggressive, while there are other times I play much looser,
depending on the situation in terms of my chip stack situation in relation
to the other players. Ok, I will ask on this thread the question you suggested, directed to anyone who wants to answer. Should I sign up
on PokerTime? If you feel this is a bad idea, can you explain why you
feel this way?
peenutz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2005, 1:43am   #53
bluntedsc
Brunson

bluntedsc
Send a message via Yahoo to bluntedsc

The people affilated with both pokertime and bodog stoned, they both suck.

Damn I tried to quote a few things but I dont know where you started or ended.

I will try though.

Basically everyone is telling you not to judge anything you know on play money. You dont agree and call it practice. Somewhere in their you ompare it to other sports etc etc etc.

Ok practicing for the wsop by playing fun money poker is comparable too practicing for the NBA with special olympic children.

Why would I say that?? Money sir. Fun money poker is just that it is fun, you can play and compare yourself with Moneymaker and the likes and dont worry about anything, you play your suited straight draw cards like 47 or 710 or basically anything suited and when two of the like drop you chase the third down to the river just to think, damn almost I would have won that hand. You lose alot of cash. No biggie you will catch the next one and eventually you do.

Thats why you go on such big swings, how many times did you hit rebuy in that time sir??

Real money......you go on that big swing and it mess's with your head and you havent even touched on that side of poker and wont.

Throw your numbers and variables and reacactions etc etc and burn them because everyone knows them.

Hold em is a simple game, we all know what cards we have, want, etc etc.

Your basically playing yourself in my opinion.....how will you handle going on a down swing and have to throw more cash into poker, getting beat on the river over and over, fighting with the wife, bills, job, kids, etc etc etc.

Alll of those things will effect your poker game and the fact that your poker game in some way will effect all of them because you are no longer playing for fun and playing for real cash.

I have learned more about myself and life playing poker then any lesson I have learned, I have increased my winnings thru changes I have made in my life.because they effected my pokergame.

Screw the numbers sir on tilt you dont even see them anymore and well.........u dont really go on tilt playing for fake money.

Before buying books or reading a billion sites with tons of info you couldnt truelly understand yet make a deposit.

$200, $150 eh?? Don't play micro limit games you might as well be playing for fun money. Play .50/.1 or better depending on how much you have to lose. Play with it for a week and come back and tell us where you stand. Learn how to take the stress of losing your cash or winning alot.

I quit poker for awhile and came back and won 750 and went on a spending spree and just recovered from the damage that done in my life recently.....I got up 600-700 and down to 100 in a day or two......learn about yourself and then start buying books.

Throw all your theories out sir along with all types of strats because in poker %90 of the time your losing alot, your beating yourself and no book can help that.

Not even adding that fun money poker is boring and easy to turn off, real money..lol you get down and you wanna play just one more hour to make it back, you get back but now your on a streak before you know it 3-4 hours go by and your even.........no fun their sir, your wife is pissed because your not doing anything, your pissed because your losing.....LOL have fun learning poker sir. You slack at work because you stayed up too late, your friends.......yea screw them books.

Play killer cards and fold everything else.........hold em is that simple......

Maybe one day after I win the wsop that will be the title of my book.....(sarcasm).....well you never know chances are better then hitting the lotto.
bluntedsc est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2005, 3:30am   #54
missriverbrat
River Rat

missriverbrat

Hey,

Well first off I'd agree with what most have said about play money tables to a large extent. I've played 18 years and now I'm just starting to play online (was worried about whether it's actually legal or not but I decided well almost everyone I know has at least tried it so why not). I have used the play money tables myself just to figure out how the room works before risking money and I have to say, while I hear and understand the one poster who said that a lot of people would be better players if they could beat play money games, the stupidity at these tables is SO much higher than even the $0.05/$0.10 games that unless a person has played them themselves, I'd probably be deemed full of it for trying to explain it. As for your swings, I'd have to say that's just part of poker. But one thing I found helped me, is if I'm ticked at a suckout, just autofold the next few hands until I feel better. And, there's even been a JJ, QQ (or even KK once) I folded, and a lot of people that would probably read that and say what the...-- but I say it's a lot better to fold a big hand, than go bust because I'm playing out of a sense of entitlement from still being mad. As for whether to chase a straight or not, if there's two cards that will give you the straight, yes it's correct to chase it, if there's only one, no it's not. But, where a lot of people mess up with it, is they will call a draw and hope to hit it. The thing to do with a straight draw, is to fire pot size bet (and frequently since most players don't do that, they might even put you on a set and fold right there). Other reason is, if someone doesn't bet and you actually hit, all you get for it is a dinky pot, and who wants that. And yes, sometimes you'll miss altogether and not get everyone out of the pot, but the money won is far greater than the money lost, so in my experience, it doesn't pay to check/call and pray to hit.
missriverbrat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2005, 10:01pm   #55
peenutz
Flop Artist

peenutz

My theory for poker is to play the odds in terms of the hands. Bet if your
odds of winning the pot are very good or excellent, and don't bet if your
odds of winning the pot are minimal in relation to the best hand available
on the board in terms of community cards. The occasional bluff is fine,
but don't make a habit of it, or it could get quite expensive.
peenutz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 6:40pm   #56
phishnutz
River Rat

phishnutz

The funny thing When I played play money, I made it over 100k in the first 2 hours. I think I had the best sleep of my life that night. I woke up the next morning called in sick for work, made a deposit thinking I was ready to go pro, then blew all of my deposit, so I reloaded, and blew that deposit, then i got in my car went to barnes & noble, and bought a couple books on strategy. After the first 4 months of going through reloads, it took me another six months just getting back to even.

My point is play money bears no indication of how bad or good a poker player is. But if you happen to have an early rush like I did, it can be pretty detrimental to your playing ability.
phishnutz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:03pm   #57
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Noooo!!!!!

The thread has been brought back to life!

Why oh why? This cant be true. Please.... no..... dont....
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:55pm   #58
expopcorn
Professional

expopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant future

Hustlr - get out of here - I'll cover your back!!!
expopcorn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:18pm   #59
MuyTheRat
Grinder

MuyTheRat
Send a message via AIM to MuyTheRat

My head hurts
MuyTheRat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote