THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Nov 09, 2005, 12:28pm   #1
soul_man
Flop Artist

soul_man
Default an outrageous fold

Last night I was playing in a one table SnG, down to the last 4 players, the usual top 3 get paid.

the chip leader sittin on well over half the chips and in the small blind. the short stack is on the big blind and has just 12 chips spare after he's paid the blind.

im first act and have rags so fold as does the next player to act.

now its round to the chip leader in the small blind and she FOLDS giving the short stack 600 chips back for free.

man was i mad.

was made worse by the fact the two of them had been callin each other luv and hun over the chat and tellin the other one to fold when they had a hand to beat anyone that had put in a big raise before they had to act.

needless to say i went out in 4th
soul_man est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 09, 2005, 1:42pm   #2
engstrok
Doyle Look-alike

engstrok is on a distinguished road

Because of the chat, it sounds like softplaying/collusion to me.

However, be aware that there are situations where it's in the chip leader's interest to keep that short stack around. Sometimes on the bubble the presence of a short stack makes the table easier for the chip leader to control. The medium stacks don't want to miss out on the money, so they may be waiting for that short stack to bust out before opening up their own games. That translates into lots of steal attemtps from the chip leader.
engstrok est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2005, 2:09pm   #3
aseyer
Grinder

aseyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aseyer

Email support, they will look at hand history of the two you suspect of collusion. If they see any, they'll refund your buyin.
Old Nov 09, 2005, 4:36pm   #4
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
However, be aware that there are situations where it's in the chip leader's interest to keep that short stack around. Sometimes on the bubble the presence of a short stack makes the table easier for the chip leader to control. The medium stacks don't want to miss out on the money, so they may be waiting for that short stack to bust out before opening up their own games. That translates into lots of steal attemtps from the chip leader.
This sounds so familiar. I was going to post my own thread to exorcise a dreadful bubble exit last night, but following this will do nicely.

Scenario is a $200 freeroll with 10 paid. There was an added bonus of an ipod Nano to the winner and a ticket entry to an end of month final for the top 10. 253 entered. I played well all evening, and from the first hour break to the second I sat between 3rd and 7th in chips, no lower. As we got down to the last 18 players however I suffered quite a bad beat for 1/2 of my chips - I called a min raise from the BB with KJspades and saw KJx rainbow come out on the flop. The other guy went all in and flipped AK when I called. He rivered his A. I plummetted from 5th at that point to 15th. Struggling now, I got to the real bubble in 9th, but was sitting immediately behind the two chip leaders who were both on my table. I was crying out for one of the two lower chips than me to crash, but they were both at the other table which (hand for hand) was looking after its own. Chip leaders were stealing from a scared me, whilst at the other table, my main competition were being allowed to keep their blinds. I folded hand after hand looking for something to steal with or double through to safety but it never came. I was eventually forced in with J9 called by both the massive stacks one of whom took it with Q8 and a flopped top pair.

I can't blame anyone at the table I was playing; it was the medium stacks at the other table who were watching me panic to folding blinds..... But hell, it hurt. The first time ever I've gone out one spot off the money in an MTT.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2005, 5:20pm   #5
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

Don't feel bad, the iPod Nano is a piece of shit anyways.

If you suspect collusion, then by all means send the transcript to support. It's their job to make players feel secure while playing online.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:41am   #6
Elizabeth
Grinder

Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA_kid
Don't feel bad, the iPod Nano is a piece of shit anyways.
Is it really? I was considering it.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 4:35am   #7
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

I've read that there might be a class action lawsuit over it because the case and screen are so easily scratched and Apple is glossing over the problem. Plus for $50 bucks more, you get 26 more gigs and ability to play videos. The Nano seems -EV to me.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:41am   #8
aseyer
Grinder

aseyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aseyer

Its a completely different purchase than the video. Pick up a nano and you'll see why it's different, you can't compare a flash based to a hard drive based.

As far as the scratching issue, either a) get white or b) get the invisible shield for $15, which works amazingly well.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 9:08pm   #9
fiezk
Flop Artist

fiezk

I'm sorry if someone has already mentioned this, I don't have time to read all of the replies.

This is probably not a conspiracy, some consider this good tournament poker.

The reason is simple, the chip leader benefits from having a short-stack at the table. As long as he/she is around he/she can push the other two players around -- they don't want to finish in 4th.
fiezk est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 9:27pm   #10
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiezk
The reason is simple, the chip leader benefits from having a short-stack at the table. As long as he/she is around he/she can push the other two players around -- they don't want to finish in 4th.
You do have a point. I think about this from time to time when I have a mongo-big stack four-handed. That being said, there's no way I'm folding in this instance.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote