THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:18pm   #1
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road
Default Grades and poker skills

One on this forum said that poker players make 12-56$/hr. I assume he meant 95% of the people who have played for a while and thus have stagnated in terms of hourly rate.

If we assume grades range from 1-6 (A-F, A being 6) will poker pros with average grades (3,5 average) make 34$/hr on average as that is the average of 12-56$/hr?

Will thus also poker pros with a 4,3 average make 41,7$/hr (12+56=68 68:7=9,7 9,7x4,3=41,7) on average?

Or how IS (if at all) grades connected to poker skills?

I am looking to see what I can "expect" if I start playing seriously.

What type of grades should be given extra weight and vice versa to further help me indicate what my expected hourly rate potential is?

How would you go about weighing the grades to make a "poker-adjusted" average?
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 24, 2005, 3:21pm   #2
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

What on earth are you talking about??!

Poker players make......??? For every 'maker' playing poker, there is someone, somewhere 'not making'; and the 'not making' player is also handing yet more over to the rake.

Oh, sorry, we're talking professional players. And you want to grade them? By hourly income? Seems to me that what you are doing is merely asking about income and then giving a grade on a (arbitrary) scale which you have chosen. I don't see the point.

No doubt there is a link between skills and income. Can't work out how this helps clarify it in anyway, nor how it might help you discover what you can 'expect' if you took the game seriously. I suspect you can expect to lose in the short term. How would you grade that?
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 4:45pm   #3
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

There really seesm to be no hope for you. People here have tried to impress on you that poker isn't a science that can be broken down into measurable parts, but still you come up with stuff like this.

My advice to you is to forget poker for quite a while, and live a little. Explore the sensual world outside your own head. Travel, meet people, get drunk and wake up in a skip or in a stranger's bed, read poetry. Just do anything that means you're relating to the world in a non-scientific manner.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 6:06pm   #4
scottqrt
Brunson

scottqrt
Send a message via MSN to scottqrt

Do they have acute care facilities for people with head injuries in your country? I can ask my buddy, his wife is from Norway.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 9:22pm   #5
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

You are trying to simplify poker wherever you can.

Think outside the box for once and you might become successfull.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 9:46pm   #6
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iestyn75
you want to grade them? By hourly income? Seems to me that what you are doing is merely asking about income and then giving a grade on a (arbitrary) scale which you have chosen. I don't see the point.
When I said "grades", I meant school grades. My average (converted to the grade system in my post) in high school was 4,3.

The point of this topic is to determine whether or not a person with this average is likely to do better in poker than someone with lower grades.

Naturally, no one can simply look at someone´s average and say: "He will make 25$/hr". But if there has been collected statistical observations, one could perhaps say: "If 100 of people with that average play poker for a long time they will make on average 25$/hr".

This again means that one could say: "Each of those 100 people have an expected hourly rate over time of 25$/hr".

I have the impression that someone who does most things correctly will after 1000hrs of play have an hourly rate of 12-56$/hr.

Though my guide/plan has been heavily critized, I still have the impression that compared with the plans of the average beginner, it is very good. Thus if I try, I will probably after 1000hrs of play make 12-56$/hr, average of which being 34$/hr which then is my expected hourly rate.

If average grades have anything to say, then I can increase these estimates.

The bot has spoken.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:51pm   #7
cetacean
Grinder

cetacean has a spectacular aura aboutcetacean has a spectacular aura aboutcetacean has a spectacular aura about

Before you make any long term plans based on the 12-56 dollars an hour benchmark, realize that this was spam that you were seeing. The average poker player doesnt make 12-56 dollars an hour any more than that herbal supplement advertised in your inbox will give you a 14 inch penis.
cetacean est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 9:06am   #8
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The average poker player doesnt make 12-56 dollars an hour any more than that herbal supplement advertised in your inbox will give you a 14 inch penis.
Yes, I was very disappointed when mine stopped at 12 inches.

Quote:
The point of this topic is to determine whether or not a person with this average [grade] is likely to do better in poker than someone with lower grades.
If you are asking whether someone with general academic ability is going to be a good poker player, then we are getting somewhere. I don't think that you'll find too much argument that to be a successful poker player requires a modicum of intelligence, which, applied properly in school would also have resulted in some good grades. There are some school subjects (arithmatic, obviously) which are necessary for poker and will have been graded in school. There are other 'skills' which have a bearing on school grades, and which might also figure in poker, but which are not themselves graded in school (eg skills such as critical thought).

But whilst we can say (arguably) that all winning poker players have intelligence - demonstrably applied in poker - it is thoroughly illogical, Captain Kirk, to argue a) that they could/would have applied that same intelligence in traditional school assessment or b) that those who can apply their intelligence in school will also be able to do so at the poker table.

Thus far, I've got you in that last category. Obviously intelligent, and thoughtful, but with no clue whatsoever how the application to poker will make you a winner. Feel free to give me a C- for that conclusion.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:48pm   #9
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

I got the 12-56$/hr from this post in the topic "$1000/day" in the General Hold´em Strategy forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanpoker8
I think It is difficult ... but a lot of people can win in online poker.....
Well, clearly it's common for people to make an average of $12-$56 per hour.

What is your hourly rate, fankpoker?
Obviously, I don´t know exactly what he meant by that, but I would be very happy if you could clearify what you meant, Hustler.

Thanks, Iestyn75, for confirming my assumption that good grades is at least a good omen for poker future. Only the future will tell (if I decide to) whether this is the case for me or not.

I am worried, though, when you say I have no clue whatsoever how the application to poker will make me a winner. I understand people recommend viewing poker as a hobby, and if it turns very profitable THEN think of it as a job. My view on poker is that it is a possible job that will be fun at first, then ok and finally (after some years) so boring you want to do something else even if it pays less. Is this very different from the recommended view on poker?

As I care very little of status (and status symbols) and have cheap hobbies (card-games, playing soccer, computer games and TV) and lifestyle I want to play poker some years and live cheaply (perhaps in a country with low prices) out of the money earned from playing poker the rest of my life.

Naturally, I can make that money on something else instead, but poker seems a more fun job than other jobs I consider, I especially like the freedom of it. I already have an education, so it is not like I don´t have anything to fall back on. So my worst case scenario is I spend 6 months trying to get good at poker and fail miserably. However, in my opinion the risk of that is worth taking considering how much I would prefer playing poker instead of doing something else. And if I become a good player, but get bored sooner than expected, I simply make the rest of the money needed on something else.

So, is my thinking wrong?
Is there anything I am missing?

The bot has spoken.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:56pm   #10
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mushroom
I got the 12-56$/hr from this post in the topic "$1000/day" in the General Hold´em Strategy forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanpoker8
I think It is difficult ... but a lot of people can win in online poker.....
Well, clearly it's common for people to make an average of $12-$56 per hour...
Obviously, I don´t know exactly what he meant by that, but I would be very happy if you could clearify what you meant, Hustler.

Is there anything I am missing?
Yes, an appreciation of ironic humour.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote