THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:16am   #1
MmmmBalf
Doyle Look-alike

MmmmBalf is on a distinguished road
Default Rake at Pacific

I've been playing low limit at Pokerstars and was thinking about trying Pacific Poker since I've heard it's a lot softer - and from watching tables there it seems to be true. The flop percentages are almost double Stars.

My question is, is the extra chance of profit (at low limits) worth paying a much higher rake? Pacific rake just about everything! Even at a .05/.10 table they rake pots of 50c. They take about 5c in a dollar. At Stars, if you play the micro limits like .05/.10 you pay no rake at all, even if the pot is over $1. And then higher up the rake is not as much.

Opinions appreciated.
MmmmBalf est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:33am   #2
Frosty Aces
Flop Artist

Frosty Aces

I can't comment on any other sites as all I ever play is Poker Stars. However, I am in a situation similar to you and this thought has crossed my mind before.

It is quite by accident that I ended up playing at the site everyone seems to think has the best players (I liked their ads better), but having found my way there I don't think I'm going to leave. Every time I start to think that the money might be better at other sites I come back to the same thought - one doesn't play poker at micro limits to make money (there are hundreds of ways I could make money faster), one plays poker at micro limits to become a better poker player. And to me it seems that the best way to become a better poker player is to go up against the best players my limited bankroll will allow.

Who knows what factor my earnings might increase by if I played at an easier site? But I really don't think its worth it for me at this time.
Frosty Aces est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:38am   #3
DocMenach
Brunson

DocMenach

I've played at a few different sites and from what I've seen, the difference in the competition between the different sites does not have much of an effect compared to how well you play. If you play poorly, you are probably going to throw money away regardless of what site you play on. Sometimes a change in site can be helpful though, because it gives you an incentive to look at your game in a different way, and allows you to get a new bonus.
DocMenach est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:17pm   #4
Elizabeth
Grinder

Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty Aces
Every time I start to think that the money might be better at other sites I come back to the same thought - one doesn't play poker at micro limits to make money
Don't underestimate the importance of making money or it will affect your
game in terrible ways.

Quote:
And to me it seems that the best way to become a better poker player is to go up against the best players my limited bankroll will allow.
The best way to become a better poker player is to learn how to go up against different kinds of players.

Quote:
Who knows what factor my earnings might increase by if I played at an easier site? But I really don't think its worth it for me at this time.
It's admirable that you are willing to be challenged. Just as long as you eventually grasp the fact that it's more profitable to play against players who are worse than you.

Then you can use your extra time to challenge yourself with The Theory of Poker, Small Stakes Holdem, Winning Low Limit Holdem and on and on.