THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:23pm   #1
Badsastard
Sick, Sober and Sorry

Badsastard will become famous soon enoughBadsastard will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Badsastard
Default Schoolboy Error!

Bloody hell! I really cringed at this one. Classic example of not paying attention to the board and only thinking about my cards. It comes at a time when I thought my game was improving but I s'pose it'll keep me humble. I'm pretty sure I'll remember this if it happens again.

Level 2 of an $11 SnG on PP. I'd not really got involved too much. Table was playing fairly passive/stupid.

I get dealt As Ts UTG and limp. 2 more limpers plus the blinds.

Flop comes Js 2h Kd

Blinds check, I check, min bet, call, blinds fold, I call (thinking overcard, inside straight draw and poss nutflush draw).

Turn is 2s

I check, min bet, min raise, I call, call (still thinking I've got good odds for the nutflush and inside straight draw).

River is Ks

Result! I've got the nutflush! I check (thinking someone is bound to bet into me), Pot sized bet, fold and then I go over the top AI.

Can anyone guess what happened next?
Badsastard est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:47pm   #2
gorckat
Brunson

gorckat

Full Housed by KJ?

[EDIT] Or by Kx and 2x :/
gorckat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:46pm   #3
SevenToo
Grinder

SevenToo

quad 2s.

ppl never fold minraises :-)
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:03am   #4
Badsastard
Sick, Sober and Sorry

Badsastard will become famous soon enoughBadsastard will become famous soon enough

What actually happened was that I got beat by a FH Ks full of 2s. Unsurprising given the board. Felt better for getting it off my chest though and cheers Seven for thinking I got beat by slowplayed quad 2s. In fact, I wouldn't have minded that.

It has ben a timely reminder that I'm not very good at NLHE afterall despite my recent (relative) successes. It will also help me get more focussed in the future - I certainly won't be making that mistake again.

I think this was a result of reading Harrington badly and just looking at the pot odds and how I improved and not concentrating on how other players might have improved. A lesson that (hopefully) will stand me in good stead in the future.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:38am   #5
b_money84
Doyle Look-alike

b_money84

with 2 pair on the board its almost impossible to assume a flush would be good, especially if one of the pairs was a king, maybe if the pairs were 2s and 3s or something, less to worry about with that, but still...

Another situation similar to this ended well for me. I was on the BB unraised and saw a flop with 6 10o

Flop came 66A and I check it, next person bets, next calls, next calls.
Turn comes K I check again, next person bets, next calls, next reraises, all call.
River comes 6 (quads!) I check next person bets, next calls, next calls

I go all in, all call me thinking im trying to scoop the pot with a boat of 6's and A's hahah
b_money84 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:47pm   #6
DocMenach
Brunson

DocMenach
Default Re: Schoolboy Error!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsastard
Result! I've got the nutflush! I check (thinking someone is bound to bet into me), Pot sized bet, fold and then I go over the top AI.
By definition a nut is the best hand possible with the board. Since your hand was very far from from the best hand possible with that board it's not a nut, its not even a near nut. It's just the high flush on a really scary board.
DocMenach est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:25pm   #7
Badsastard
Sick, Sober and Sorry

Default Re: Schoolboy Error!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMenach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsastard
By definition a nut is the best hand possible with the board. Since your hand was very far from from the best hand possible with that board it's not a nut, its not even a near nut. It's just the high flush on a really scary board.
This was sort of my point as this thread was about me not paying attention to the board and assuming (wrongly, obviously) I wasn't going to get beaten and that I had the nutflush. Hope this clears matters up.