THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:51am   #1
flyblkbx
Fish

flyblkbx
Send a message via AIM to flyblkbx
Default Bad beats. had anything like this happen to you?

Over the past two weeks i have received some of terrible beats. It has been so disheartening to get all my money in the middle with my opponent crippled only to lose by some fluke. I am getting scared to play hands strongly because of bad beats... I want to know if any of you have had this bad of a run and what you did about it.

Lost with AA vs. QQ, 66, AKo, 23s had all the money in preflop made awesome plays in most cases to trap.

Lost AQ vs. QT (ten hit) and AJ vs AT (made a flush)

Lost to a runner runner full house after flopping an ace high flush getting all my money in.

This has all happened in the past week and a half and I am just dying from it. I've probably lost $150 (a lot to me) on these hands and it has me hating poker. Any advice?
flyblkbx est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:39am   #2
randyripoff
Brunson

randyripoff

It evens out. I've seen AA lose five or six times in a row, then be unbeatable.

And yes, I've flopped straights and been beaten by Full Houses, flopped top pair with A Q and found some guy calling my initial raise with 10 6 offsuit and flopping two pair. It happens, and it happens to all of us.
randyripoff est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:21am   #3
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

It happens to all of us. I've been running hot with Aces, winning 89.29% of the last 28 times I've had them.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:50am   #4
expopcorn
Professional

expopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant future

Nope - never happens to me!!

Oh hold on - I did have something similar on Tuesday in about 20 hands I lost

AKv AQ all the money in after KT7 flop
AAvQQ after AQ3 flop - 1 out hit the turn
AKsvAKo after four clubs hit to his king

3 SNGs out before the third level - even more frustrating as I had just moved up to $20+2 from $10+1 on Monday so the losses were double what I was used to.

But it evens out, yesterday I won with AQ v AK allin and went on to take 2nd which gets some of the losses back.
expopcorn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:16am   #5
Gerrit2002
Banned

Gerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bad beats. had anything like this happen to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyblkbx
Over the past two weeks i have received some of terrible beats. It has been so disheartening to get all my money in the middle with my opponent crippled only to lose by some fluke. I am getting scared to play hands strongly because of bad beats... I want to know if any of you have had this bad of a run and what you did about it.

Lost with AA vs. QQ, 66, AKo, 23s had all the money in preflop made awesome plays in most cases to trap.

Lost AQ vs. QT (ten hit) and AJ vs AT (made a flush)

Lost to a runner runner full house after flopping an ace high flush getting all my money in.

This has all happened in the past week and a half and I am just dying from it. I've probably lost $150 (a lot to me) on these hands and it has me hating poker. Any advice?
I've probably lost $150 (a lot to me)

Happens to all of us but that is what good bankroll management is for. If u are a winning player in the long run don´t change your game because of those times... But maybe u should play with the right bankroll in the right level to avoid going broke by those streaks...

I don´t know how many hands u are playing but if u have a loosing streak of one and a half week not playing Poker full time this is normal and your bankroll should handle this...
Gerrit2002 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:05am   #6
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Always worth pointing out that the relative timing of AA being beaten makes a world of difference, as does the game being played.

I once lost with AA twice in the same tourny (a $1k guaranteed freeroll with about 800 entrants). The first, I lost only 20% of my stack because I called a preflop all-in from a short stack; he had AK and had the straight by the turn. Doubled him up and a pain, but not crippling for me. The second one I lost however was at the final table, and sent me out in 5th rather than higher; I was put in from the BB by someone holding JJ and he flopped his set. So I took home $35 instead of having a chance of $200+.

Then a recent ring game loss ($25NL) - a player with only $4.50 in front of him raised to $1 preflop, and I put him all-in for his remaining $3.50. He turns over AK and the flop came out KK2. Difficult to say whether I'd have been able to lay them down, but had he been holding more than $4.50 worth of chips, I could have lost much more; heads-up, I'd commit all $25 preflop with AA if asked for it.

No doubt at all that the timing and cost of our bad beats affects our remembrance of them and this is one thing we just have to learn to deal with.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 4:40am   #7
flyblkbx
Fish

flyblkbx
Send a message via AIM to flyblkbx

that was all good advice.. its just so disheartening.

I just lost to K9s with aces about 10 mins ago..

when will it end!
flyblkbx est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 4:47am   #8
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Yeah this week has been weird. I was on a huge rush the last 5 days, boosting my bankroll up $40 at .05/.10 NL.. Today I lost $40. Trips ran into straights, I folded the best hands a few times, it sucked.

This is a good discipline exercise, though. I have to be able to recover all of this without jumping limits.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 4:52am   #9
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyblkbx
when will it end!
It's important to realize that the answer is never.

If you play poker, it will happen over and over and over. There is nothing to be done about it.