THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:06pm   #1
downtown
Doyle Look-alike

downtown is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to downtown
Default $25 NLH Play, what do you think?

My buddies are debating the hell out of my play here, I thought it was an easy decision at the time, speculative, but based on situational evidence I thought it was a great opportunity. Just thought I'd see what y'all think.

Table texture: Fairly loose passive, standard raise pre-flop is $1-2, post flop play seems timid with anything other than AA/KK overpair or better.

I'm in the big blind.

Hand: 97s

UTG - 7th position limp, 8th min-raises, SB calls, I call, UTG, +1 & +2 call, +3 raises to $1.75. Two callers in MP, plus the button, everyone else folds, action to me.

Pot: $9.5

So here I am with 97s getting between 6 or 7 to 1 on a 1.25 call. At the time I figured I was against at least one big pair that was making a mistake and slowplaying, and a mix of medium/small pairs... maybe one or two people playing AK/AQ/KQ. Three of the 4 people in the hand had $50 stacks to match mine.

My thought was that I had gotten into an interesting situation with a marginal hand and was getting great odds to see a flop. I was in position to end the betting so I didn't have to fear a raise behind me, I felt I would be able to manipulate the table post-flop if I did flop a draw, and if I flopped a monster I would get paid off perhaps 2-3x my stack size.

To me it was a clear call, some of my buddies think I'm insane =D

-Ozone, on the technical side of poker
downtown est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:33pm   #2
Dootch
Doyle Look-alike

Dootch

Clear call both times. Your buddies don't understand the concept of pot odds and implied odds.
Dootch est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:00am   #3
thespoil
Doyle Look-alike

thespoil

Instacall. No question about it.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:10am   #4
b_money84
Doyle Look-alike

b_money84

Newbie question, but how do you know if 6-7 to 1 pot odds is justifying your call? I mean how do you figure it out.
b_money84 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:28am   #5
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

Yup. Definitely a call.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:04am   #6
thespoil
Doyle Look-alike

thespoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_money84
Newbie question, but how do you know if 6-7 to 1 pot odds is justifying your call? I mean how do you figure it out.
There is no hand in hold 'em that is a 6.7 to 1 dog before the flop.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:21am   #7
SidMaynard
Too tired for poker

SidMaynard

Absolutely you should call. You have a hidden hand and are getting great odds and implied odds if you hit the draw. You are betting $1.25 to possibly double up your stack, which makes great sense. And if the flop brings you rags, you just fold away. These hands are great because you either have a monster, a draw with lot of outs, or nothing. This makes for easy decisions.

Your position means you end the pre-flop betting but it does put you at a weakness post-flop. If you flop the monster, then no problem, but how do you play the flop if it gives you a drawing hand?

If you check you risk the top pair betting big and scaring out the other callers, thus greatly reducing your pot odds. If you value bet, you risk someone coming over you and achieving the same result, although now you are more pot committed.

I would probably value bet on this drawing hand as you may get some callers before the top pair comes over the top, thus improving your pot odds. Also you have read that post-flop play is pretty timid, so you may even freeze top pair into thinking that you have hit 2 pair or trips. Also, this means that if you hit the monster on the turn, you are in great shape to double up as no-one will expect you to bet from early on a drawing hand.

The only warning in this hand is that with so many callers, you could be facing a stronger flush draw and you need to be careful not to draw dead.
SidMaynard est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 4:59pm   #8
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Send your friends to this forum to try to convince me that this isn't a good call.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:30pm   #9
gorckat
Brunson

gorckat

There is no hand in hold 'em that is a 6.7 to 1 dog before the flop.

Well, maybe one, but it shouldn't have gone that far

Holdem Hi: 1712304 enumerated boards
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
As Ah 1493820 87.24 212248 12.40 6236 0.36 0.874
2c 7d 212248 12.40 1493820 87.24 6236 0.36 0.126
gorckat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:48pm   #10
downtown
Doyle Look-alike

downtown is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone
Send your friends to this forum to try to convince me that this isn't a good call.
Yeah, that was kind of my intention. Trying to explain pot odds and the HUGE implied odds of this situation to some of these guys is an interesting experiance. Found it pretty funny that they completely didn't believe that I made a good call, figured I'd post this up here and show them the 42 "insta call" replies as an example and maybe help them learn a new concept.

For those wondering, the flop came 6 8 T rainbow... I proceed to do the fist pump and air spank as the UTG comes over the top of my $6 raise for another $20 which is followed by 2 calls and my re-raise all-in... which is also called by the 2 big stacks...

Ended up being against JJ, TT, KK. Two over pairs and top set (I find it funny that the KK called... man I would have been saying "fuuuuuuuck this" and pulling the escape hatch lol). Made $160 in the hand, good times,

-Ozone, on the technical side of poker
downtown est déconnecté   Reply With Quote