THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:02pm   #1
mattjgallo
Flop Artist

mattjgallo
Send a message via ICQ to mattjgallo Send a message via AIM to mattjgallo Send a message via MSN to mattjgallo
Default What do you do?

Ok, so I've just managed to get to heads up and am 2:1 chip leader roughly. A few hands in I get TT. The other guy is quite passive but I know he will play things like AK, AQ, AJ, etc. Bearing in mind the odds of the other having JJ, QQ, KK or AA is 42:1 (in total - I think my maths is right there, 4/169).

What do you do?
mattjgallo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:27pm   #2
SidMaynard
Too tired for poker

SidMaynard

You need to give more info to your question, eg are you SB or BB. What are the blinds, how big is his stack etc. It's too broad to give an adequate answer.

However, you might like to hear this hand that I played the other day. I'm heads-up at a $10 SNG. The blinds are $150/$300. My opponent and I have similar stacks and have been batting back and forth for some time now. He is playing very tight and I can't get him to commit to any hand that I raise. However, he is aggressive when he is SB and I haven't hit a good enough hand yet to push all-in over the top of him.

So my plan is to start trying to trap him. When I'm in SB I start making some minimum raises and as soon as he goes over the top of me, I fold. I let this happen a few times to start giving him the idea that I will back down when he bets over me. I'm waiting for a monster hand so that I can trap him.

Bingo! I'm SB and I pick up JJ in my pocket. This is the hand I've been waiting for. So I throw out a minimum raise to look like I'm on the steal. He comes firing back over the top of me just as I expected. I push all-in.

I flip over pocket J.

He flips over pocket A.

He wins.
SidMaynard est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:47pm   #3
mattjgallo
Flop Artist

mattjgallo
Send a message via ICQ to mattjgallo Send a message via AIM to mattjgallo Send a message via MSN to mattjgallo

LOL! Ok I'll come back to that comment...

Yeh, sorry I didn't give anymore info. Here it is:

I have around 8,000 in chips
He has around 4,000 in chips

Blinds are at 150, 300 - yeah quite low, but it seems to go that way with us guys for some reason.

Ok I'll tell the story about the LOL comment.
Well I had the TT, I too was like Bingo! I guess I have a 50% chance to win tourney here if he calls with AK, AQ, etc. But hoping he had AT or A9 which he'd still call with. He called, I was rubbing my hands. He flips AA. I looks at my tens in wonder..... I cry as I watch the board go 5 5 6 6 7.... not even a hope.

I then lost the rest of my stack with JQ when he had AK. I was tilting a little I suppose, but thought I played the tourney well as at one point I was down to 500 chips and came back with a double up, followed by a triple up on some nice play.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:04pm   #4
StampyDodo
Doyle Look-alike

StampyDodo

You still haven't given us enough info. What happened preflop? Who had the button and who was the big blind? Also this is 150/300 blinds and your foe has 4000 chips. Thats not low at all. Thats less then 14x the BB. With less then 14x the BB and playing heads up ill take pocket 10s all day and night.
StampyDodo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:07pm   #5
mattjgallo
Flop Artist

mattjgallo

Here is run down:

Heads-up
Matt (me): 8,000 in chips on button (and also BB as that's how we play it)
Nick: 4,000 in chips on SB

Nick posts SB of 150
Matt posts BB of 300

Hole cards are dealt. [10 10] for Matt.

Nick first to act, he calls the BB.
Matt annouces re-raise. All-in.
Nick gives a smile and calls.

Nick flips [A A].

Matt sits back and is sick into his shoes and then downs his beer whilst watching the board come 5 5 6 6 7.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:15pm   #6
thespoil
Doyle Look-alike

thespoil

Don't put $7,700 into a $600 pot.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:31am   #7
mattjgallo
Flop Artist

mattjgallo

Nah read the post mate.

I had him covered so I was putting in 3,700 in chips, not 7,700.... please read posts!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:48pm   #8
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

Didn't you say you were a few hands in HU? Then you say he will call with AK, AQ, AJ. Well, people switch gears HU. He might not call AQ or AJ in this situation.

With a 2-1 lead you can put pressure on him without going all in. Give him a chance to make a mistake. You let him trap you. Instead, give him a nice PF raise and see what he does. This gives you a chance to get away from your hand.

TT is what you push PF when you are down 2-1 HU. Remember what Ozone says, what will he call you with that won't beat you.

I don't think he felt under any pressure to push the AA this early in HU with those blinds so you have to consider that he will trap.

Also, you said he was passive which adds to that possibility.

If he is down 2-1 its more to his advantage to take a coin flip than yours. When you lead 2-1 you should be thinking that you can make small mistakes but not big ones.
jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 4:08pm   #9
thespoil
Doyle Look-alike

thespoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjgallo
Nah read the post mate.

I had him covered so I was putting in 3,700 in chips, not 7,700.... please read posts!
Oh, right right...so you only overbet the pot by 6x. That's significantly better.

Too eager to stick all the chips in, mate.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:18pm   #10
mattjgallo
Flop Artist

mattjgallo

Hehe sorry my post was a tad sarcastic, was just a bit tired when I posted it, sorry. (Just please also post more constructive comments than the all too often, and very annoying, "you made a mistake, you bet", doesn't help anyone)

Yeh, in hindsight I probably should have put a nice raise in preflop, and seen the board. I will take this into account next time I play, I think I just wanted to get the game finished and I thought I had a hand to do it with there and then.

However even if I did get just a call pre-flop then when the flop comes with all low cards as I was saying, then I've got my overpair and I'm quite likely to think I am ahead as he won't be playing anything that would hit except Ace rag with the rag hitting it's trips, or a higher pair than my tens.

Yeh, I think I should have only put nice raise of say, 600 in? 2xBB only afterall. Can't think where I'd get away, but maybe I would have had some sniff of his higher pair with his betting.

As you say, letting them make the mistake is the key.

Cheers for the advice there.