Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:32pm   #1
dcrocha
Flop Artist

dcrocha is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to dcrocha
Default $1 or $5 SNG for beginners?

Hi,

I have been playing PokerStars $1.75 (18 people) sit and gos for a while now. I have a 30% in the money score, but honestly, after reading a couple of books on strategy, I find frustrating that this percentage is not significantly higher.

In those SNGs, people play coinflipping all the time, trash hands in hopes of getting a miracle river, and stuff like that. I'm tired of taking bad beats because they'll call with just anything.

Question: would a move to $5 sit and go help me improve my game, and thus my chances of winning? Or if I'm a really good player, I should be able to beat $1.75 SNG players easily, something I'm not doing right now, so I should stick to the $1.75 ones until I manage to win there consistently?

Daniel
dcrocha est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:10pm   #2
StampyDodo
Doyle Look-alike

StampyDodo

You'll still be taking plenty of bad beats at the 5 dollar level, infact youll take bad beats at every level so you better get used to it.

In order to answer your question or at least we try we need to know:

Your bankroll.

Your skill level.

How experence in sit and gos.

I wouldn't expect the players at the 5s to be noticeable better then the players at the 1s.

Also, whats the rake at these 1.75 dollars tournies.
StampyDodo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:16pm   #3
gorckat
Brunson

gorckat

Somewhere on this site (the Intermediate Mistakes articel, I think) it says that moving up in limits to escape bad beats is no good- they happen at all levels.

Playing tighter pre-flop will probably help (without seeing specific hands). If you're in 4th and watch the guy in 2nd or 3rd go all-in and get beat by the guy in 1st...you're now in the money. Even if you sit in dead last the whole time because you don't bet Q9o, you still move up every time someone busts out.
gorckat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:20pm   #4
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

I doubt you'd see a great difference at $5 so if your 30% in the money includes enough to be in overall profit, then your overall profit may well increase x5 by staking x5.

That said, I think you have to do a little bit more by way of analysis as to why you think you should be winning more at the lowest level, and what it is YOU are doing which prevents that. Don't focus on how bad others are; if you are a good player you are going to beat them. Instead, try and work out whether you are being dragged down to their level. Think whether the frustration you are showing by this post is actually part of the problem. It may not be, but then it may....
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:05pm   #5
dcrocha
Flop Artist

Hi,

My bankroll: $50. I could raise it up to $150, no problem.

My skill level: I started playing poker in the beginning of January. Became real money player Feb 12.

Experience: I have played so far 35 play money sng and 50 real money sng.

Actually, I say $1.75 as a whole, but the buy-in is $1.50 + $.25 rake.

I always read that when playing weak players, you have to adjust your style, only playing solid hands and outplaying them rather than outmaneuvering them. I usually play very tight in the beginning, reach the final table and in 30% of the cases I get in the money, but as I play tight in the beginning (where all other players are raising and going all-in like hell), I end up short stacked and keeping being anted while waiting for some reasonable hand to go into coinflip, because you can't just play your hand or stay in a draw for example without going all in, because every time everybody is pushin all in with any high card. And at the end, everything is decided coinflipping a shitload of hands.

Daniel

P.S.: I should be happy because a lot of people I know start playing real money and lose a lot of money real fast. I have a 30% profit, but I think I could do more, but I can't seem to find a way to win consistently (by that I mean like 50% in the money) against those maniacs.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:32pm   #6
StampyDodo
Doyle Look-alike

StampyDodo

Here's my advice to you.

Get your bankroll to about 300 bucks, preferable in your neteller account. If your profitable in these tournies thats fine, though the rake is a bit high (25 cents on 1.50 compared to 50 cents on 5 dollars) Since you haven't played very long I'd prefere you get to 300 bucks doing the 1 dollar sit and gos instead of just getting more money unless you live pretty comfortably.

Go to http://www.bodog.com/poker/

Deposit your 300 bucks and you will get a 10 percent bonus. The bonus clears at the same rate as the rake you pay in Sit and Go fees. That means youll have 60 rake-free 5+.5 tournies. (Every 50 cents you pay in rake will clear 50 cents in bonus.)

The players at bodog that play in these things are just terrible. Awful. Pitfully. Its almost like play money. And your playing RAKE FREE. Thats the beauty. Its like a safety net. It's pretty hard for a solid fail to due worse then break even with rake free. (Note you must clear the whole bonus before you can withdraw any of bonus money.)

Does anyone know a site that has 1 dollar sit and gos with only 10 cents rake?
StampyDodo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 4:05pm   #7
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Does anyone know a site that has 1 dollar sit and gos with only 10 cents rake?
Many. Of the accounts I have, UltimatePoker has a 10% at virtually every level, including $1+10c; they also give you a 100% deposit bonus up to $200 though it takes forever to work that off at micro-levels.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:24pm   #8
curtnoob
River Rat

curtnoob

I wouldn't play $1 SNG's, it's a waste of time if you can afford $5 SNG's anyways. For that matter, if you can afford $11 or $22 SNG's, then you shouldn't play $5 SNG's, because they all have their share of bad players. And I'd say that they have equal difficulty.
curtnoob est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:55pm   #9
dcrocha
Flop Artist

I see a lot of different opinions, but it looks like the people playing $5 SNG aren't much better than the $1 ones, is that right?

Daniel
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:57pm   #10
worm23
Flop Artist

worm23 is on a distinguished road

That is absolutely correct. Same crappy play.