THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:37pm   #1
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road
Default Was this a good time to bluff?

My losing streak continues. I just lost with KK to J5, I folded a set of 9's because I was an idiot and raised preflop, I folded after someone reraised 20x the blind.

Then, this...

Quote:
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to hurtchow [Ah 9c]
MaknMoneyhny said, "lol"
MaknMoneyhny: calls $0.10
reece hump: folds
1homegrown: folds
Jonken84: folds
jayrd: calls $0.10
kojihugy: folds
Bluffin2Much: folds
UnFaiLLeD: calls $0.05
hurtchow: checks
*** FLOP *** [9h 4s 6s]
UnFaiLLeD: checks
hurtchow: bets $0.70
MaknMoneyhny: folds
jayrd: calls $0.70
UnFaiLLeD: calls $0.70
*** TURN *** [9h 4s 6s] [3s]
UnFaiLLeD: bets $0.30
hurtchow: raises $0.60 to $0.90
jayrd: folds
UnFaiLLeD: calls $0.60
*** RIVER *** [9h 4s 6s 3s] [9s]
UnFaiLLeD: bets $2.60
hurtchow said, "mother ****er"
jayrd said, "go"
hurtchow said, "ace ****ing nine"
hurtchow: folds
UnFaiLLeD collected $4.10 from pot
UnFaiLLeD: shows [Qh 9d] (three of a kind, Nines)
hurtchow said, "what the **** is this ****"

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:48pm   #2
expopcorn
Professional

expopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant future

Fold a set of 9's after raising, that's a well disguised hand - what did you think had you beat?

On this hand , I think you both played it OK except I would have raised more on the turn and hopefully got more information about whether he had the flush.

He was brave to bet the river, but I think your turn bet showed enough weakness that he thought it worth a try.
expopcorn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:56pm   #3
theonlythree
aka 3

No what I meant was, I folded a pair of 9's preflop. I reraised this same guy, and he pushed on me. I should have just called and seen the flop cheaply.

But yeah.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:39pm   #4
Garso
Professional

Garso has a reputation beyond reputeGarso has a reputation beyond reputeGarso has a reputation beyond reputeGarso has a reputation beyond reputeGarso has a reputation beyond reputeGarso has a reputation beyond reputeGarso has a reputation beyond reputeGarso has a reputation beyond reputeGarso has a reputation beyond reputeGarso has a reputation beyond reputeGarso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was this a good time to bluff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree
hurtchow said, "mother ****er"
jayrd said, "go"
hurtchow said, "ace ****ing nine"
hurtchow: folds
UnFaiLLeD collected $4.10 from pot
UnFaiLLeD: shows [Qh 9d] (three of a kind, Nines)
hurtchow said, "what the **** is this ****"[/quote]
in my opinion this looks like tilt...
Garso est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:39pm   #5
theonlythree
aka 3

It is definitely tilt. I've run into so many of these situations since Friday, not to mention I've lost $50, half of the winnings I made in February.

What's worse is I broke my promise to myself to never jump limits to recover... I did.

I want to take some time off from the game, but it's hard. I always go into a session feeling fine, then get outdrawn/bluffed and I start with my idiotic ways.

EDIT- About the turn bet, I wanted to get information without making it look like I was bluffing. That is a tough rope to balance, which is why I tripled his bet. What amount would you recommend?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:00am   #6
Dootch
Doyle Look-alike

Dootch

thats a tough call to make and you shouldn't blame yourself for putting it down.

As an aside, its not uncommon to have 5 buyin swings. On rough days I can lose 5 buyins in a day.

The most important thing is to focus on decisions, and not on results. When you start doing this, you'll stop tilting as much.
Dootch est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:28pm   #7
cetacean
Grinder

cetacean has a spectacular aura aboutcetacean has a spectacular aura aboutcetacean has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree
EDIT- About the turn bet, I wanted to get information without making it look like I was bluffing. That is a tough rope to balance, which is why I tripled his bet. What amount would you recommend?
You need to make your bets in proportion to the pot, not proportion to the bets that other people have made that round. The pot then was about $2.40, so you need to:

(a) Bet an amount that is significant in relation to the existing size of the pot. This is necessary to make people actually stop and think about their hands (having to call 60 more cents into a then-$3.00 pot is great odds and an easy call for lots of drawing hands) and

(b) Bet an amount that will give people the wrong odds on a very draw-heavy board.

Given that you also want to be able to get away from it if someone comes back over the top, 75%-100% of the pot is probably what you're looking at.
cetacean est déconnecté   Reply With Quote