THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Mar 01, 2006, 5:48pm   #1
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road
Default Folding winning hands (was OMG I'M QUITTING TEH POKER)

edit- meh

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 01, 2006, 7:34pm   #2
SevenToo
Grinder

SevenToo

been there too man.

it s not the worsed thing to do.

the long run can be very long
Old Mar 01, 2006, 10:11pm   #3
StampyDodo
Doyle Look-alike

StampyDodo

I think of quitting a lot too. Then i think of the alternative and press on.
StampyDodo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2006, 11:16pm   #4
theonlythree
aka 3

Yeah, I've just had a ridiculous run of bad beats, tilts and run-ins with maniacs lately.

I folded stupidly today in a hand that was something like this:

KA, raise 6x bb. One player moves all in and a maniac calls. This was only another 6x the blind so I called. Flop is 557. I raise, maniac calls. Turn K with 2 hearts on board now. I raise 50 cents, he calls. River brings the 3rd heart and he goes all in for $6. I fold. He turns over K4o and takes the pot. The dude that went all in had A10.

KING FOUR OFFSUIT. How was I supposed to call this? I regret folding the hand, since my gut told me he was full of shit. It just seems wrong to call an all in with a flush and full house possible from the board. I think my fold was logical, but instinctively I knew I had him beat.

4 times since Friday this happened. It stinks. I'm takin a break now, since I've cleaned out my bankroll. I'll probably go to party after a couple weeks and play .10/.25 NL.
Old Mar 02, 2006, 4:23am   #5
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, it sucks to fold the winning hand but it happens.

My biggest problem is losing to bad beats plain and simple, rather than getting bet off the winning hand, although that has happened too. But the beats are what really kill me, which I can't understand because even with an intermediate understanding of probability I know there's just something wrong with the streaks I've taken. I guess the longrun is much, MUCH longer than I expected. Once I had a streak where I lost 4 times to the statistically least likely outdraw (exact runners ~989:1) in approximately 20K hands. THAT was hard to take. Even worse was that I still took all the usual beats.

My latest bankroll-busting streak has made me decide to jump ship from Party. Oh well. I'll just have to rebuild through live games and sticking to sites with decent bonuses/rakeback to make up for some of the bullshit I always seem to get stuck with. Gotta love it though.

Better luck next time.
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2006, 10:10am   #6
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Folded a winner yesterday which put me in such an awful mood that I was lucky to get out losing only the money from the hand.

$25 NL. Dealt 88 on the button, folded to me, raised x3 and happy to take the blinds if they want to hand them over. Both called - pot is $2.25. Flop came down 8TJ with two clubs. Check, check, so I $1.50, 2/3 pot. Both call. Turn is a 4. Again both check and I know I'm ahead and suspect both are drawing. I bet another $4. This time one folds and the other calls. So now we've got a pot of $14. River is Q clubs. Just about the worst card possible. And right on cue, my opponent bets - but a modest $3 (I've got another $15 or so, him too). Looks all over a bet which he wants called, but likely not a nut hand. I convince myself he has either a 9 or the clubs and fold it.

Turns over TJ for two pair.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2006, 5:54pm   #7
theonlythree
aka 3

Yeah folding the best hand tilts me way more than bad beats because in a way, it's your fault you lost that pot. Beats and draws are out of your hands.

I usually am pretty good with my hands except when I'm playing against maniacs. The other situations that happened to me the last few days were:

A9 offsuit in big blind, I check. Flop is 943 with 2 spades. I raise large and the maniac calls. Turn is a 7 of spades, my opponent bets and I reraise to represent. He calls. River is 9 of spades, giving me 3 of a kind, but 4 spades on board. Opponent raises $3 and I fold. He had Q9 offsuit, no spades. I couldn't believe it.

QQ on the button. A maniac raised $1 from MP. I reraise to $3. He goes all-in for $15. I fold. He turns over JJ. JJ? After a re-raise? Come on.

I hate getting outplayed, even though a part of me feels like the plays these guys are making are extremely reckless and dumb. It's hard to cope with it.

Man I should really stop reading this forum. I've actually gone a day without playing, and going over all these beats makes me feel like I'm still tilting.
Old Mar 02, 2006, 8:13pm   #8
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree
Yeah folding the best hand tilts me way more than bad beats because in a way, it's your fault you lost that pot. Beats and draws are out of your hands.
Totally agree about the "it's your fault you lost" part being hard, but I can deal more easily with my own screwups than the total ridiculousness of a streak of unbelievable bad luck. Difference in perspective I guess.

When I play NL and especially tournaments, I've identified the weakest part of my game. My biggest problem, though, is that it's my post all-in play that is killing me.
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2006, 5:24am   #9
b_money84
Doyle Look-alike

b_money84

One of the worst folds I ever made (and I only remember it vaguely) was one time when the board was something like 10, 10, A, 7, 5 or something like that, with 3 clubs on the board; I had the QJ of clubs so a high flush, and this one kid who had been screwing around all day, playing like a moron decides to push all in from an early position... I sat there thinking about this one for every second I could and eventually hit the fold button.

He turned over 6 9 offsuit or some shit and just said "I had to do it."

I was so close to calling too, my first instinct was to call, just because of how the goof had been playing, pushing all in every 3 hands but for some reason I changed my mind at the last second.

Oh and it would have been about a $300 pot had I called his all in too...
b_money84 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2006, 5:29pm   #10
Idaelus
River Rat

Idaelus
Send a message via Yahoo to Idaelus

theonlythree said- "Yeah folding the best hand tilts me way more than bad beats because in a way, it's your fault you lost that pot. Beats and draws are out of your hands."

I would think that there is no shame in folding the best hand every once in a while. If you think you are beat, you fold and you lose that pot. If your nemisis shows you a weak hand, or a total bluff, they will more than likely do it again when you have the nuts.
Idaelus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote