THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 06, 2006, 8:22am   #1
Rafvdv
Doyle Look-alike

Rafvdv
Default Am I a Fish?

Yesterday I played the private tournament of Poker club Belgium. It's a freerool, and to only thing to win is the honor, but I'm ok with that.

I ended up winning the thing which was nice, but the guy I killed ( 3rd place) called me a fish, and afterwards I saw that also on the forum he again told that he ended 3rd because some fish busted him. ( moderator of the site so a "respectable" poker player)
I replied that I think he played his hand terrible, but would like to know what you guys think about is. ( sorry no hand history but I'll explain).

3 Players left. I'm on BB and opponent is the button.
He calls, SB folds and I check . I'm holding 34o, so it's a crap hand.
At that time i'm chipleader by a mile ( 27000 to 11000 for sb and 13000 for BB). Blinds are up to 300/600 or 500/1000 ( not sure)

Flop is 267 rainbow, so I need a 5 to finish my straight.
I check and he bets 1000. I call.

Turn: 3 ( no flushdraws)

I check and he bets 2000. I'm thinking I can spare the 2000 so I call.

River: 3 : I hit a set of 3s so I bet 4000 after which he goes all-in. Since I can only be beaten by set of 7s or set of 8s and I'm chip leader by far, I call the remaining 5000 and win against JJ.

I would have folded to any descent bet, but the 1000 and 2000 bets didn't really impress me in the position I was in.

Did I play it like an extremely lucky fish, or was I doing the right thing with calling his bets?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 06, 2006, 8:41am   #2
CBone
Microdonk till ∞

CBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CBone Send a message via Skype™ to CBone

Conclusions first, I think you played it ok. It's not like I would recommend playing like that, but you can do it, especially if you're chipleader and can spare the chips.

You had 4 outs, although you were drawing to the idiot end of the straight, so you are 1 in 6 to make your straight. I guess there was enough money in the pot to justify calling the 1K on the flop, if you add implied odds. You hit a pair on the turn, and now you have a shitload of outs. Assuming he holds neither an Ace nor a 5, you have 2 3s, 4 4s and 4 5s as outs, that's 10 outs. I guess you can call that turn bet with that many outs.

And yes, he played it like a freaking idiot. He wanted to trap you and got trapped himself. His call on the river was terrible, it was obvious he was beat. Maybe he should work on his fishiness himself.
Old Mar 06, 2006, 9:35am   #3
Rafvdv
Doyle Look-alike

Rafvdv

Thanks, that exactly the same I feel about it.

By the way. I had allready been at the table for quite some time with this guy, and I was quite sure he would have folded 89. I put him on Kj or Q10 or something like that.
Old Mar 06, 2006, 10:00am   #4
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Ah - the danger of JJ!

Mistakes he made:

a) Limping with JJ 3-handed. JJ is a horrible hand to play optimally at any stage, but he should have at least found out preflop whether a flop containing a AK or Q spelt danger. He didn't.
b) Underbetting the flop. Again, he's not done enough to get information from you. If the pot is 2500, he needs to really bet you out of this if he thinks his overpair is ahead; but you could have anthying and...
c) ....He does not seem to have considered what you were holding; or at least not until the river, at which point, I reckon he put you on two-pair 7766 and gambled that the board pairing counterfeited your hole cards. In fact, you could have turned the nut straight with the first 3 if you were holding 45 yourself and could slow play the river. This hasn't crossed his mind.

Mistakes (if such they are) you made:
Only one that I can see, and it may be an error of omission rather than anything else, is defining his hand. As pointed out above, actually your 5 which you counted as your out to the nuts was nothing of the sort. Arguably, you had implied odds to call the flop; you certainly did on the turn and got paid as if to prove it. But at that stage of a tourny, I'm not convinced the flop was the right call.....

Except of course, he limped. You had every right to dismiss the overpair (any pair in the pocket for that matter) which is, ultimately, why your turn and river play was sound.

Finally, to labelling people. I don't think I could ever bring myself to publicly accuse a winner of being a fish, less still someone who took me out when he was already x2 my chip stack. But then, we all try and deflect attention (our own even) from our bad play by pointing the finger at someone else.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2006, 10:53am   #5
fiezk
Flop Artist

fiezk

You're not a fish, THIS is a fish!

He actually took like 15 seconds to make the call on the river, so it wasn't a mis-click.

Game # 267170773 - Texas Hold'em No Limit EUR 0,10/0,20 - Table "Borgstena"
Game ended 2006-03-04 17:28:37 GMT+01:00

Players:
slane (EUR 13,95 in seat 1)
hydra_006 (EUR 14,71 in seat 2)
tiky (EUR 19,86 in seat 3)
thevikings (EUR 7,60 in seat 4)
jjversus (EUR 74,62 in seat 5)
Falukropp (EUR 19,45 in seat 6)

Dealer: hydra_006
Small Blind: tiky (0,10)
Big Blind: thevikings (0,20)

Falukropp was dealt: Qd - Ah

jjversus Call (0,20)
Falukropp Raise (0,80)
slane Call (0,80)
hydra_006 Fold
tiky Fold
thevikings Fold
jjversus Call (0,60)

Flop 3d - Ac - 2s

jjversus Bet (0,20)
Falukropp Raise (2,80)
slane Call (2,80)
jjversus Call (2,60)

Turn 3d - Ac - 2s - Kh

jjversus Check
Falukropp Bet (4,00)
slane Call (4,00)
jjversus Fold

River 3d - Ac - 2s - Kh - 7s

Falukropp Bet (6,35)
slane All-In (6,35)

Falukropp shows: Qd - Ah (a pair of aces)
slane shows: 6c - 4d (high card ace) <-- worst hand possible

Falukropp wins: EUR 30,25 (with a pair of aces)
Rake: EUR 1,55
fiezk est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2006, 11:02am   #6
CBone
Microdonk till ∞

CBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CBone Send a message via Skype™ to CBone

Please, where do you play?
Old Mar 06, 2006, 11:08am   #7
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Falukropp shows: Qd - Ah (a pair of aces)
slane shows: 6c - 4d (high card ace) <-- worst hand possible
That's not fish play, that's chip-dumping!!!!
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2006, 11:26am   #8
fiezk
Flop Artist

fiezk

I play at unibet.com. The fish are plenty, but this is by far the worst call I've ever seen (it's actually the worst call possible).

The advantage of that site is that tha lowest limit is €0.1-€0.2, which makes the total rookies play at higher stakes than on most other sites.
Old Mar 06, 2006, 4:57pm   #9
Rafvdv
Doyle Look-alike

Rafvdv

LOL,

He probably tought he had a small straight like the one that gives you 30 points in Yatzee.
Old Mar 06, 2006, 7:57pm   #10
fiezk
Flop Artist

fiezk

lol! Probably!

Wonder what he was thinking about when he pondered the call. Had to have had something to do with hand rankings.