THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:33am   #1
dmdifiore
Flop Artist

dmdifiore
Default A question about trips

Me and my father were talking about this for a long time.

I just opened a $50 account at partypoker, and was down to about $30 after 2 hrs. playing the .10/.25 no limit tables.

I had pocket queens, and raised before the flop to around $3 and two people called.

The flop came Q 5 6 rainbow. I had the best possible hand here. The first person to act raised me all-in, for about $25. The other person folded and I called. The turn was an 8, the river was a 9. The person turned over A 7 offsuit. He won with the straight.

Now my question is, was my all-in call the right move, or should I have folded? I believe I made the right call. I put my money in with the best hand, but I got unlucky. My dad believes it was a stupid call because he raised me for all in.

I was new to this table so the player history is unknown, but I put him on either a complete bluff, or because he called my raise, two high cards, probably A Q or K Q ...probably suited, but with the flop, I wasn't worried about a flush.

Which one of us is right?
dmdifiore est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:43am   #2
dopetown
Fish

dopetown
Send a message via MSN to dopetown
Default You made the right play

Dear god. Yes, you made the right play. Going all in with the best hand is always the right thing to do.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:43am   #3
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Well obviously your dad is right, since you lost the pot.

duuueyyy..

sarcasm
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:17am   #4
bluntedsc
Brunson

bluntedsc
Send a message via Yahoo to bluntedsc

Your both wrong.......

Your wrong because you were playing at that table under bankrolled.
Your dad was wrong because why in the world would you fold??

You put all of your money in the middle with the best hand and got sucked out on, hence the importance of a proper bankroll for the limit you are playing.

Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing Qs 6c 5h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Qc Qh 917 92.63 73 7.37 0 0.00 0.926
Ac 7c 73 7.37 917 92.63 0 0.00 0.074

Just for kicks lets say he hold AA

Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing Qs 6c 5h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Qc Qh 905 91.41 85 8.59 0 0.00 0.914
Ac Ah 85 8.59 905 91.41 0 0.00 0.086

Your odds cant get much better then that sir....
bluntedsc est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:04am   #5
dmdifiore
Flop Artist

dmdifiore

I wish I had more money to play with, but, I don't even have my own account. I bought one of those $50 easypay cards at a pawn shop.

I figured I'd give it a shot and see if I could make a little money since I've played very well in the fake money games (yes I know real money =/= fake money, but I mean I got very good).

I thought maybe I could play the small tables, but even for real money I saw a LOT of stupid plays and calls. I really thought most of those people would be gone, and it would be mainly who was more skilled, but even though I won all mine with skill (except one ), and only lost three hands, they were all for big amounts, and all three were lucky cards on the river.

What do you think is a good starting amount to play these small tables?
I may deposit more money if that might have been a big factor in my loss.

I did notice I played tighter and never even tried a bluff, but I figured when I got my hands, it would be worth waiting.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:20am   #6
AMDeluxe
Doyle Look-alike

AMDeluxe

For what it's worth, here's my advice. I started out at Party, playing $25NL and some SnGs. Ultimately, though, I was a little underbankrolled and under-disciplined, and the swings got a little painful. Recently I opened an account at Stars, and I'm having a lot of fun (and, as it happens, making more money) playing microlimits there. I imagine the players at Party are pretty bad as far as $25NL goes, but their incompetence doesn't compare to proper microlimit players. If I were you I'd open an account at a site (eg Stars) that offers lower stakes. You'll do better and you'll have the bankroll for it.
AMDeluxe est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:29am   #7
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

If you're playing with free money, then who the hell cares? Do whatever you want. My girlie girl turned $50 free on party into $115 over a week's time.

The players at .10/.25 over there are fucking ridiculous. It is incredible how stupid they are.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:45am   #8
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntedsc
Your both wrong.......

Your wrong because you were playing at that table under bankrolled.
Your dad was wrong because why in the world would you fold??
Just going to say this because I think some people over-emphasize bankroll as the answer to every question in poker (not accusing anyone in particular even though I'm quoting bluntedsc, because far too many of us are guilty of this. The OP didn't ask about bankroll being correct, but about a specific hand, and answering his question hasn't really got anything to do with bankroll).

The simple fact is, that your bankroll will not in any way affect the outcome of your decisions at the table. Whenever someone comes on and asks about the "bad beat" they took, or the suckout or whatever they call it, there is a good chance someone will respond by saying something to the effect of "you need a bigger bankroll - thats why you lost" implying that one's bankroll affects the outcome of specific hands. I know bluntedsc doesn't literally mean to imply that the OP made the wrong move BECAUSE of his bankroll, but it sure comes across that way.

If someone is underrolled for a game, then it might affect how they play, but nothing other than the cards that fall determine the outcome of the decision. So, in playing this hand, the OP made the right decision, without question. Unless your opponent has exactly 0% chance of winning, however, your making the right move can always end up leading to the unfortunate outcome of your losing the pot. This (variance) is why you need a bankroll, but not having a bankroll DOES NOT CAUSE variance. The OP made no mistakes in the playing of the hand, period. Losing to a suckout may make you question if you played it right, but don't make the mistake of thinking that anything other than the card which happened to come, made you lose.

For this question, it doesn't matter if he's underrolled, and besides which, we all have been at some time or another. And that is the lowest table at party after all, right? For $50, he's going to be underrolled there no matter what.

Just a suggestion in general, but even leaving a grey area where it looks like you're implying bankroll affects the outcome is a BAD idea when answering questions from beginner players about whether they played a hand correctly. It might even lead to players believing they can't put their money in unless they have the nuts AND it's the river, because otherwise their bankroll will cause them to lose. That's the last thing to be imparting to people you're giving advice to.

PS - Your dad couldn't be more incorrect. He might as well suggest you can smell the colour red.
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:46am   #9
dmdifiore
Flop Artist

dmdifiore

I'll check out stars in a little bit. My dad is thinking about putting some money in, so I'm going to use that tell-a-friend feature to get some money back, and then my uncle will be joining the site soon. That and I'm going to try to talk some people at school into joining.

If any one wants to setup an account there, let me know
Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:47am   #10
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdifiore
I
What do you think is a good starting amount to play these small tables?
I may deposit more money if that might have been a big factor in my loss.
Christ, am I blind or what. I didn't even notice THIS until I posted. LOL.

Point proven I guess.
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote