THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:40pm   #1
oojoe24oo
Doyle Look-alike

oojoe24oo
Send a message via AIM to oojoe24oo
Default how to play 2 pair on the flop?

Suppose you hold 7 2 off suite in the big blind....you get 3-4 limpers lets say and the flop comes 72J, with two clubs on the board....You know you probably have the nuts and must protect your 2 pair.....Is a potsize bet the way to take it down here??? Alot of times ill hit weak pairs, and then get drawn out by better pairs, straights, or flushes....would you even push all in in this situation?
oojoe24oo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:46am   #2
Gus
Professional

Gus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the rough

not enough info to answer the last question.

With bottom 2 pairs, you definatly want to take it right there.
Gus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:53am   #3
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

Like most things, it depends, but I would throw in a pot sized bet and see who has a jack.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:20am   #4
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

With this many limpers you'd think one of them is bound to have a jack. I'm check raising very very big here. Bottom two is very vulnerable. I'd look to get the majority of the money in here on this flop.

My advice changes if the stacks are really deep, in which case I think leading out here for the pot works.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 3:54am   #5
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

If you think someone probably has the jack, a check raise is a nice way to get a nice pot without seeing the turn.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 4:20am   #6
oojoe24oo
Doyle Look-alike

oojoe24oo
Send a message via AIM to oojoe24oo

yeh, the problem with bottom two pair is you got to assume with this many people in the pot someone has the high pair, and someone is gonna draw out on ya if you continue to the turn or river.
oojoe24oo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:02am   #7
Zee
Doyle Look-alike

Zee

You cannot stop people from drawing out on you if they truly desire to do so. All you can do is make them make an incorrect play while doing so. Once someone gets 2-1 on their money while drawing to a flush and hits it they misplayed the hand and lost money. Maybe not right now, maybe not tomorrow, but once the sample is large enough, they lost money. In this circumstance I'm saying lead out. Check raising is a close 2nd, but I hate giving a free card more than fig nutons so I personally favour leading out.
Zee est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 4:04pm   #8
stickdog
River Rat

stickdog

You've hit 7-2paired on the BB after 3 limpers.

The pot has cost you nothing so far and within 3 limpers there will be a stealer on the river for sure.

You have to hold out for the chance of a big pot that was not instigated by yourself, as they are certainly not putting you on anything other than one pair. Plus you've got a full house draw that could clean up if war breaks out!

'Risk reward ratio' I believe. Why take a lousy 2 bets now, when you could easily end up with 12-15? Experience tells me those limpers will check round, or fold to your bet, that's a low reward for such a nice flop!
stickdog est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 4:37pm   #9
Zee
Doyle Look-alike

Zee

Quote:
'Risk reward ratio' I believe. Why take a lousy 2 bets now, when you could easily end up with 12-15? Experience tells me those limpers will check round, or fold to your bet, that's a low reward for such a nice flop!
You couldn't be more wrong. Two pair is certaintly not a monster worth of a slowplay. Especially in a multi-way pot with a flush draw out of position.
Zee est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 4:44pm   #10
stickdog
River Rat

stickdog

Spoken like a true shark
I think my point was that it was a free look at a possible 15 bets with no risk, and an element of surprise, but hey, I'm an artist. For 'artist' read 'fish'.
stickdog est déconnecté   Reply With Quote