THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:25am   #21
MuyTheRat
Grinder

MuyTheRat
Send a message via AIM to MuyTheRat

No to add to much to the fire, but just becuase it happened once does not make it the right play at all. I mean thats just common sense. I can drive 90 the wrong way down a one way street and not get in an accident and it doesn't make it a good choice. Poker is a game of mathmatical decisions...if you want to be a winner (and I'm not talking about placing once in a $1 tourny) you have to make the correct decisions. Your example is analogous to playing craps and having a winning session then declairing that you can beat the house. Its just not the case.
MuyTheRat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:33am   #22
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickdog
Insulting and closed minded, I don't need 76/1 to bet you're not nice, I'd go all-in on that one.
Oh, I am very nice, I just don't suffer fools gladly...and I am done suffering.

BTW, nice new Avatar...I do hope you realize that is a character from a comic strip and is in no way an actual representation of myself. I do sort of want to see Garfield with a gun to his head, maybe I should change my Avatar.

EDIT: I just looked over my posts in this thread. Man, I really am in a sarcastic mood. I still stand by my point that stickdog's 'recommendation' is the worst play there is.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:50am   #23
stickdog
River Rat

stickdog

It also in no way represents my hand on the trigger.

No room for unorthodox play? Let's all give it up now and let the robots have it. Let's delete all the posts about 'what do I do with AKo preflop' etc as according to you, the've all been answered already.

Do you still drive a horse n cart cos hey, it gets you from A to B right?

I never said it was the correct move, I was asked an opinion, I gave one. I aint insulted no-one, or disrespected no-one.

You jump in and declare me ignorant in the law of math, insult me, and blow me off, nice welcome from a 'mature' poster I must say!

Do you wanna start again? Hi all, my name's dave and I play poker... no doubt you can fill in the rest for me.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:55pm   #24
chefski
Grinder

chefski

A worthy debate...however, there are a lot of factors at the table that might determine the right play at the right time. I think in 10 different situations, I might play it 10 different ways.

On the surface though, if I have a tight table image, I'm probably playing it like XA. If I'm short stacked, I'm playing slow as well to build the pot. If I have a loose image, I'm playing it strong. If I'm on the bubble I'm protecting my hand and not getting outdrawn. If it's the first hand at the WSOP I'm playing carefully and trying to double up and/or not get hurt, if the blinds are big, I'm taking it down...yada, yada, yada.

Point being, these forums are great, but there are too many situations that skew the "right" play all the time. And, as we all know, there really is no absolute right play...so you're ALL right. BTW, I just got all-ined by a 2/4os vs. my KQ and busted out when 2 came on the river...buh bye. I hate this game...when's the next one?

chefski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2006, 7:05am   #25
theBigP
Fish

theBigP

Dude, the only reason you got a "79-1" payoff or whatever it was is because your opponent is terrible. He made a huge raise on the river with a possible flush showing, just with three of a kind. If you had been playing anybody with some sense, there is no way you would have gotten paid off like that. Now what happens when the river is a seven, you check, and he bets 100 chips? Are you just going to fold your two pair, which was a huge favorite, and has now become a losing hand? No, you're definitely going to call such a reasonable bet, and now your "79-1" payoff has become 5-1 loss. XA's right, for every time you river a boat, you will get rivered way too many times for this to be a profitable play in the long run.
theBigP est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2006, 7:19am   #26
daniel k
Doyle Look-alike

daniel k
Send a message via AIM to daniel k

LOL.. Just thought I'd chime in and let XA know that the first time I read through this thread, I thought stickdog was him because I saw the avatar and didn't read the name. I was really confused by the horrific advice he was giving, and I was trying to figure out if he was joking. Then I continued on in the thread.. and realized.. my mistake..

Anyway, if I were you XA, I'd insist that stickdog change his avatar.. You don't want people like me thinking his words are yours I'm sure.. Even if only for a minute or so.
Old May 04, 2006, 3:18am   #27
chrisavo
Brunson

chrisavo

125% pot bet (anyone who calls is either a donk or behind you) take your chips and thank the lord you won anything with 72off.
chrisavo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2006, 4:10am   #28
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

Well DK, I would ask him, but the guys not coming back after my clearly superior reasoning. There may be many different ways of playing a hand, but there are clearly "wrong" ways.
Old May 04, 2006, 1:08pm   #29
Lichtecho
River Rat

Lichtecho
Send a message via ICQ to Lichtecho

If you´re playing this hand in a tournament, it also depents on your stack.
Especially on the final table.

If you are chipleading and raised a few times...checkt in on BB. They might see you on moneycatching by a very nice hand or the opposite, having a very bad hand.
So if you hit 2pair 72, you should (in my oppinion) set a very high bet.

Let them believe you tried to catch, had no low hit and are now trying to buy them out. Get a call by toppair or even raised, maybe by flushdraw too. So they pay a lot of chips for actually nothing and you even have your chance for FH. So maybe reraise all-in. (hoping not to see JJ...;) )
Or they might see you with this nonraised bad hand and had a lucky hit at the flop. They are right and fold. So you won 3-4 BB with 37...in a tourney very very nice...!!!
Same should work with mid stack. But the chance to get called might be higher...

If you are very low of chips, I would go all-in.... Just payed for BB, SB is rolling on and you can save your survival for the next few hands. Someone with high stack might call you and with a littlebit of luck...you´ll be back in the game.

That´s my opinion....looking out for critics and feedback

PS: one hour ago, got kicked out of final table by slowplaying a flopped FH and running into straight flush catch...what a shame
Old May 15, 2006, 10:08pm   #30
The_Ronin
Grinder

The_Ronin is on a distinguished road

yeah, i also was confused with the avatar thingy.
In a twisted sort of way, i liked his creativity in dealing with
clearly superior reasoning
unquote

PZ Meyers:
No, I've been avoiding it. Although I adore Spongebob and consider him a sterling role model for all of our fine students at UMM, I have a dread of the Hasselhoff. I'm still traumatized from the Spongebob movie, which was fabulous until the moment the Hasselhoff showed up — and now I have a fear that if I attended the theme park, the Hoff might suddenly show up and offer me a ride. Or a Whopper.

The_Ronin est déconnecté   Reply With Quote