THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old May 02, 2006, 2:50pm   #1
gorckat
Brunson

gorckat
Default Going deep, MTT observations and the 3am wall

Having blown most of the $100 roll I had at Party due to an unreal streak of SNG losses, I've been playing with the play chips over on Stars until I save up for a deposit there. It's actually most refreshing to not have real money worries and I'm not overly upset about losing $100 because A) I'm a rookie and am probably (ok- definitely) worse than I think I am and/or B) it was short term variance that I simply didn't have the bank to get through and C)it was one of those promotions, so free real money!

Anyways, last night when I logged in about 11pm, I hopped into one of those 10,000 person deals where the top 27 get a shot at $1,000 that was seating. From a practicallity standpoint, I'm well aware I stand a better shot of hitting $1,000 at .25/.50 NL before I win one of these, but I came damn close to the top 27 last night.

It seems the only way to build a stack in these free money deals is to call every unraised flop, which grates against my 'book' taught sensibilities. Whatever. If people want to let my 9h6h draw out to a flush, so be it. I'll take their play money, which is exactly what happened for awhile.

I got really lucky and doubled up a few times when I made a 'bad' call. The hand was something like ATs for me, AQo for the other guy. After the turn, he had hit top 2 pair and I was on flush/straight draw with my ace paired. He pushes and I let stack sizes make my mind for me. I put him on a straight and the math says if I miss, I'm down to 35k. If I hit, I'm up to 100k. Since I was in the top 25 or so in chips and this was before the first break...I figured easy push. If not now, when? I hit.

A short bit later, in the top 5 chip leaders, I get moved to a table with another big stack. Each of us are around 90-100k. He makes a lot of raises pre and post flop, but folds on the turn. I give him a few where I feel middle pair won't take it, but keep the pressure on the turn if my top pair isn't facing any kind of draw and take a few back.

I get AA UTG and throw out 24k to make sure I don't get callers who might draw out. The other big stack calls and the flop comes 666. Feeling he had to have a pocket pair to call, I push. He calls and flips TT. My heart starts pounding as I wait for a T to drop and leave me at 8k...rag, rag...WAY in the lead now! This was about 1:45 am and I now didn't have to worry about falling asleep after the adrenaline rush!

I'm out at about 3:15 am after hitting a stack as high as 450k and losing focus, getting moved to a new table which threw off all my reads and chasing draws, but it was a blast. Had I just tightened up and stolen blinds and seen cheap flops for another hour, I'm sure I'd have been able to enter a Weekly Round 2.

It seems to me that the most dangerous time in an online MTT is the 5-10 minutes after a break. I call it post break tilt as it seems people are more likely to push marginal hands. I was keen to avoid it myself and take advantage of other players reckless play after the first 3 breaks, but knowing I had to come to work this morning made me lose the edge I'd had.

I also used a bit of something I heard the commentators say about one of Farha's bets on High Stakes Poker, which I was watching earlier. He hit top pair and the board had 2 diamonds and he, "...overbet the pot to keep anyone with a diamond getting a chance for a cheap draw." Made sense, so I tried to apply it and think I did so successfully. The only flushes that beat me were higher, but I drew out some marginal hands on others cheaply.
gorckat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 04, 2006, 10:29am   #2
Rafvdv
Doyle Look-alike

Rafvdv

maybe i'm missing the point here, but why don't you just play a $1000 freeroll where the $1000 is devided over the top players?
As I understand it now you are playing 4-5 hours of poker to win a ticket in a $1000 tournament. Kind of a waste I think.
Old May 04, 2006, 8:58pm   #3
gorckat
Brunson

gorckat

Point taken. I never really looked beyond the 'fun' aspect of playing in those big ones, but it makes sense. I'll have to hit some site reviews and see what I find.
gorckat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote