German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old May 19, 2006, 3:57am   #1
Amphetrion
Flop Artist

Amphetrion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Amphetrion
Default Washington State Legislation

Now that I'm getting into online poker, my state (WA) passes legislation outlawing online gambling. This is to take effect on June 7th. Not only is it illegal, it's a class C felony; that's what they charge sex offenders with! Should I prepare to stop and get used to B & M play, or can they even track my online play?
Amphetrion est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 19, 2006, 5:29am   #2
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82

They

Can't

Do

Shit

Fuck them all for trying...
Old May 19, 2006, 6:33am   #3
MmmmBalf
Doyle Look-alike

MmmmBalf is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering what sort of effect this will have on the online poker community. I know that the best times for me to play is my morning/early arvo which is the Nth American evening. I find this is when the tables are the loosest and most fishy. I'd hate it if a lot of Americans stopped playing because it was banned, even if they can't enforce it, a lot of people will probably stop - you think?
Old May 19, 2006, 1:57pm   #4
rcb17
Grinder

rcb17 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rcb17 Send a message via Skype™ to rcb17

I'm sure there will be some that manage to evade getting caught, but I believe skeptix is wrong. They can, and will, "do shit" about it. Especially early on after it's passed.

There will probably be an initial load of people getting caught and prosecuted, in order for the state to show they are taking it seriously. After that the people that don't want to risk it will either quit, or maybe even move.

The question is, will the online sites do their part to help enforce this? Like banning/closing accounts that signed up in the affected areas where it is illegal? One would imagine that, with worldwide traffic, they could afford to cooperate in the interests of keeping on the good side of the US government as a whole. Since all of these sites are located outside of the USA, they wouldn't have to, but sometimes a little goodwill efforts can go a long way.

Washington just fell off my list of places to live though (like it was ever up there to begin with...)
rcb17 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 9:44pm   #5
Amphetrion
Flop Artist

Amphetrion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Amphetrion

I'm thinking that one reason they may have put such a stiff penalty on it is because they weren't really planning to enforce it, but wanted to scare people away from online gambling anyway. I really doubt the online poker rooms would help the government get rid of their customers. By helping, they would be making it easy for legislation like this to succeed, and that success on an increasing scale would probably hurt them quite a bit.
Amphetrion est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 6:27pm   #6
Xigol
Grinder

Xigol
Send a message via MSN to Xigol

damn conservatism. But then again my country gambling is allowed in every state. Our government loves the revenue.

You could try to argue that poker is a sport, it was named the fastest growing sport in Australia so it may not be gambling? Long shot though
Xigol est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 10:52am   #7
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82

They just passed the no-indoor smoking ban too. There is a clause that says you can't smoke within 25 feet of any door, window or vent. People smoke 2 feet outside the doors of bars, police just roll by..................
Old May 22, 2006, 4:36am   #8
trout
Fish

trout

This is primarily in response to Xigor blaming CONSERVATISM (his word) for the WA legislation that will ban online gaming in WA state

WA state is among the most liberal states in the USA. It's state legislature is completely dominated by a democratic majority, and it has a democratic governor.

About the only right/freedom that is well protected in WA state is the right to carry a firearm, and that is because it is guaranteed by the state constitution and thus even a liberal legislature and governor have been relatively ineffective in thwarting it. although they have tried.

it is NOT conservatism that is behind the push to ban online gaming. certainly not in WA state. it is nanny-state liberals and progressives, who (like they always do) restrict our rights by trying to protect us from ourselves
trout est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 9:03am   #9
Xigol
Grinder

Xigol
Send a message via MSN to Xigol

Im not saying WA is conservative. Just the legislation was. However, i do think firearms should be banned. But this isnt a political argument, just expressing my distaste for the legislation
Xigol est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 1:54pm   #10
trout
Fish

trout

xigol, i appreciate the sentiment, but you specifically blamed conservatism, and now claim it is "conservative" to ban online gaming

i am saying it is not conservative at all

and from an empirical standpoint, last i checked, it was states that were dominated by liberals - like WA, and Hawaii that have usually the strongest restrictions on gaming.

Nevada, by the way, is a much more conservative state.

Last I checked, they have a lot of legalized gambling

much of the most odious legislation i have found (and reminiscent of the warnings we have seen in orwell and huxley) come from liberals and progressives who want to protect us from ourselves.

speech codes, gun restrictions (restricting the right to self defense), gaming restrictions, etc.

i don't want to get into a political debate either, but i can't stand aside (i usually lurk. this is my first actual post) when somebody blames conservatism for the actions of the state legislature that is profoundly liberal. one of the most liberal in the USA
trout est déconnecté   Reply With Quote