THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old May 30, 2006, 6:55pm   #21
rcb17
Grinder

rcb17 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rcb17 Send a message via Skype™ to rcb17

What's good about our nation is every four years we get to vote as a nation on the leadership of the country, and no one person can stay in power for more than eight years. If you've paid any attention at all to US politics (it certainly doesn't seem that way) you'll know that the GOP's days of control over the government are extremely limited.

Bush has made a mess of things, both domestically and in foreign affairs. There's no arguing that. But not to a level that the world is coming to an end. Give that one a rest. I somehow think the world will manage to survive this time, just like it has in graver times than this.

What's truly sad is I think you might actually believe what you said. Perhaps you should just go back to concerning yourself with your poker game instead.
rcb17 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 30, 2006, 8:06pm   #22
raaabh76
Brunson

raaabh76
Send a message via AIM to raaabh76

what good is voting as a nation if the majority of the voters have no f'ing idea why they are voting for someone.

I'm utterly embarrased at how we as a nation chose Bush not once but twice to represent us to the rest of the world. And what's even more disheartening is the fact that people still support this guy. Why should their vote count equally if they lack the critical thinking capacity to see what a mess this country is?

Little by little the republican machine has been able to strip us of our personal freedoms. They have managed to set domestic social programs for the poor and needy back 10 years. They have set the stage for overturning Roe v. Wade. They flat out lied to us about the Iraq war.

Yeah its great that we get the chance to correct our past mistakes with a fresh new administration, but the same people are making the decisions that got us in this mess in the first place, so what good is that?

I am still very passionate about american politics. Why? because I'm an american and I don't want someone else fucking up my freedoms. But honestly, my passion is slowly turning into indifference as I realise how little my vote counts.
raaabh76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 8:10pm   #23
cool cat
Brunson

cool cat

like sheep lead by the nose we are conditioned
not only to obey authourity but not to question it
the only thing you need to become president
is financial backing and a commercial in which
you profess your love for america and all things american
you are indoctrinated into a lie from day 1
eight years you say and who then mad mo sam psyco geoge bush the third. All i know is his advisors will be chairmen directors and owners of a arms company

i dont think this planet has seen graver times since the extinction of the dinosaurs
so put your hands over your ears shut your eyes and pray for a miracle
cool cat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 10:04pm   #24
zolaboy
will invade Europe.

zolaboy has a spectacular aura aboutzolaboy has a spectacular aura about
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

lame prose (that were probably ripped off from an afghani punk band and posted w/ grammer and spelling errors) aside...you've yet to make one intelligent point...regardless of how i feel about George W. i personally am always interested in intellectually challenging debate...this is one thing your hateful, ignorant statements are devoid of...grow up...
Old May 30, 2006, 11:52pm   #25
Amphetrion
Flop Artist

Amphetrion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Amphetrion

Wow, how this post has blossomed and gone its own direction. Probably shouldn't have brought up politics.... So, my main question, if this law were passed in your area, would you continue to play?
Amphetrion est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 11:54pm   #26
zolaboy
will invade Europe.

zolaboy has a spectacular aura aboutzolaboy has a spectacular aura about
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphetrion
Wow, how this post has blossomed and gone its own direction. Probably shouldn't have brought up politics.... So, my main question, if this law were passed in your area, would you continue to play?
you're right...threads around here have a tendency to do that...but yes...if this law were passed here in Arizona to protect the greedy india- i mean native americans (have to be pc) i would continue playing online...
Old May 31, 2006, 12:27am   #27
MuyTheRat
Grinder

MuyTheRat
Send a message via AIM to MuyTheRat

Quote:
i dont think this planet has seen graver times since the extinction of the dinosaurs
your 100% right. I mean, common what was Hilter when compared to Bush? Never seen graver times? Before you go off on your beatnik tangent agian, at least learn something about what your writting about. Its easy to spit rehetoric with closed ears. You accuse us of being sheep but you are following your propoganda blindly. Grow up, read a book (or 4) and pull your head out of your ass.
MuyTheRat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 2:09am   #28
rcb17
Grinder

rcb17 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rcb17 Send a message via Skype™ to rcb17

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaabh76
what good is voting as a nation if the majority of the voters have no f'ing idea why they are voting for someone.

I'm utterly embarrased at how we as a nation chose Bush not once but twice to represent us to the rest of the world. And what's even more disheartening is the fact that people still support this guy. Why should their vote count equally if they lack the critical thinking capacity to see what a mess this country is?

Little by little the republican machine has been able to strip us of our personal freedoms. They have managed to set domestic social programs for the poor and needy back 10 years. They have set the stage for overturning Roe v. Wade. They flat out lied to us about the Iraq war.

Yeah its great that we get the chance to correct our past mistakes with a fresh new administration, but the same people are making the decisions that got us in this mess in the first place, so what good is that?

I am still very passionate about american politics. Why? because I'm an american and I don't want someone else fucking up my freedoms. But honestly, my passion is slowly turning into indifference as I realise how little my vote counts.
Here's the problem. In 2000 and 2004 the Democrats couldn't put up a candidate worthy of taking Bush's place in the White House.

Al Gore would have been a one term president at most. He is a good man, but not the kind of leader we needed in 2001-2004. Whatever you may think about the 2000 election, the right guy ended up in office to deal with terrorism issues. Just bad timing is all, I think Gore would have been a great peacetime president.

John Kerry was a spineless sap (when it comes to politics) and in 2004 it was all about how to effectively navigate through Iraq. And while I have no love for Bush, I feared more what a mess Kerry might have made of it. It's not unlike why I voted for Clinton in 1996, that vote was more anti-Dole than anything.

The good news is that, for the first time in a long time, the Democrats at least should have a candidate with a chance to do something right, as long as it's Mark Warner as the choice. He has a great track record in a strongly red state in Virginia, and surrounded by the right people, he would make a fine president (he'd need to grow into it a little in the first year, hence the need for a strong VP and cabinet).

The GOP's best hope for 2008 might be to have Hilary run for office. Say what you want about her, she is a polarizing person that will get boatloads of conservatives out to vote, just to vote against her. She's politically savvy, but since it looks right now like it'll be McCain going for the GOP, she may be the worst matchup they have for him.
rcb17 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 2:47am   #29
trout
Fish

trout

to get back to the point...

the legislation in WA was passed by an overwhelmingly democratic legislature and signed by a democrat governor

so spare me "the republicans are trying to take away our rights" rubbish

frankly, both parties, when in power - tend to want to increase power and diminish individual rights. but imo, it is the dems moreso than the repubs that strip individual rights.

i have seen it happen in the state of WA over and over again...

regardless, the issue was the one of online poker. in WA, it was a typical leftwing nannystate response to butting into what people do in the privacy of their own homes
trout est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2006, 6:08pm   #30
raaabh76
Brunson

raaabh76
Send a message via AIM to raaabh76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb17
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaabh76

Here's the problem. In 2000 and 2004 the Democrats couldn't put up a candidate worthy of taking Bush's place in the White House.

Al Gore would have been a one term president at most. He is a good man, but not the kind of leader we needed in 2001-2004. Whatever you may think about the 2000 election, the right guy ended up in office to deal with terrorism issues. Just bad timing is all, I think Gore would have been a great peacetime president.
During the election it was peace-time. And up until 2003 when we invaded Iraq it was still peace-time. I feel that Gore piggy-backing on clintons successes was best for this nation. I feel that morality decided this election rather than policies. I feel your assesment of best candidate is simply wrong, more importantly, because bush had at his disposal the senate and house, and this completely removed checks and balances in american politics and were paying the price for that now.

Quote:
John Kerry was a spineless sap
fair enough but like you said in american politics you get a chance every four years to correct our past mistakes. America flat out failed to do this, we chose to keep Bush in power and in doing so we ignored the real problem.

Quote:
The good news is that, for the first time in a long time, the Democrats at least should have a candidate with a chance to do something right, as long as it's Mark Warner as the choice. He has a great track record in a strongly red state in Virginia, and surrounded by the right people, he would make a fine president (he'd need to grow into it a little in the first year, hence the need for a strong VP and cabinet).

The GOP's best hope for 2008 might be to have Hilary run for office. Say what you want about her, she is a polarizing person that will get boatloads of conservatives out to vote, just to vote against her. She's politically savvy, but since it looks right now like it'll be McCain going for the GOP, she may be the worst matchup they have for him.
I think you're absolutely correct here. As much as I would love hillary to run there is no way she could win, and another 4 years of a republican agenda worries me.
raaabh76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote