THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:09pm   #1
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack
Default LH or SH tables when just starting to play for money?

I've been playing poker for about 2 years. up until recently, the only games i played for cash were the odd home game i'd host every 1-2 months. My competition was pretty soft as i study the game and my friends don't so it's not too hard to win there. anyways, i digress....

forgive this for sounding newbish, but most of my online experience comes from playing play money games. i've built the "play" bankroll to almost 500K solely playing ring games on PStars. now i understand that the competition i face is almost worthlesson the play tables, but for table time without losing the house, it's what i choose to do.

Now on to the meat of the question:

I've played and lost roughly $200 (4 $50 buyins) over the course of 6 months playing the 6way .10/.25 and .25/.50 tables. sometimes i hold my own, but eventually end up going broke. In my ignorance, i assumed that a 6way table would be more profitable as i'd be playing against 5 opponents so the odds of making a hand would be better. I've learned that a 6way table is played differently from a LH table with respect to starting hands. (suited connectors are junk, Paint/9 and up, middle pairs decent). Would it be more profitable for me to play the LH tables as a starting money player? the problem i have is that the blinds come around so fast 6 handed and it seems i get unplayable rags 80% of time. 10% of the time i'll get a playable starting hand that gets sucked out or miss (understandable at the limits) so i'm only winning 10% of the time.

For a beginner, what would be the better tables to play at? keep in mind, my BR would be roughly $50-100. possible play the super-micro limits? this to me seems like it would be little better than play money. Thanks.
1idjack est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:26pm   #2
Boilermaker
Get off my lawn

Boilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond repute

Like you have noticed, LH and SH are different games. They can both be profitable, you just have to decide which game you play better. In either case at the microlimits you are going to get sucked out on more frequently and have some significant downswings. With a banroll of 50-100, you only have enough for a $3 buy in roughly so the .25/.50 is way out of range. It is not at all surprising that you might go through 4 buy-ins. There are many good posts on this site that discuss bankroll management that you should look at. They generally recommend 30X buy-in for your banroll.
Boilermaker est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:28pm   #3
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

Longhand is easier for a beginner because the players there are more loose compared to the optimal than the players at shorthand tables are.

Start playing on the lowest of the microlimits and move up to higher levels when you have the skills and bankroll to do so.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:52pm   #4
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

thanks for the replies.

i know that bad beats and suck outs are going to happen everywhere, but at what limits do they start to happen less frequently? any reply is probably going to be more of a guideline than a rule, i'm sure.

i've also done a bit of research googling poker review websites that outline different sites and show different things like how soft the games are, rakes, etc...

PStars is popular, mostly b/c of the airtime the site gets i'm sure. I'd wager that because of a large influx of new players, PStars has it's fare share of sharks out there.

A few of the sites that were of interest to me were Bodog, Pacific and Titan as some of the softest games around b/c they also cater to other forms of gambling that leads to lots of inexperienced people crossing over to play. sites like fulltilt and UB and paradise are no good for me so the reviews say. too many pro's/good players. should i consider switching to another softer site?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:05pm   #5
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

I recommend Party Poker. Fast and soft games. Not the fastest games and not the softest games, but a good combination of the two parameters.

Bad beats happen rarer and rarer the higher the stakes are because they play better at higher levels so they tend to avoid getting in situations where they need to lay a bad beat to win. This does not mean you should move up in levels if you are losing money, quite the opposite.

The bot has spoken.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:18pm   #6
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

thanks mushroom,

so i guess at these levels, i shouldn't be too worried about super-experienced players out there. i would imagine that those players probably hang around the 1/2 and 2/4 tables?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:48pm   #7
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idjack
so i guess at these levels, i shouldn't be too worried about super-experienced players out there. i would imagine that those players probably hang around the 1/2 and 2/4 tables?
At micro-levels there is just a lot of beginners and a few intermediate players.

As for super-experienced players, I would say a tiny percentage of the players on 1/2 are super-experienced and this percentage increases the higher the level is.

This doesn´t mean 1/2 is easy to beat as most of the players there are quite experienced.

The bot has spoken.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:06pm   #8
YYZ
Brunson

YYZ
Send a message via AIM to YYZ

I started out on Stars as well and I'd recommend the LH tables because usually when a player is fairly new at cash games they might tend to play tight, conservative. SH tables require a wider preflop hand selection and more aggression. I would just suggest that you start out at lower than .10/.25 LH tables if you will only have $100 in your bankroll, since even a single losing session decimates your bankroll.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:26pm   #9
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

yeah i understand. those .05/.10 tables are going to have painfully tiny pots, but like the saying goes, a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. or was it, "in the poker game of life, women are the rake" anyways, i think the LH .05/.10 tables sound like a good choice. I have a pretty decent grasp of hand selection and position, i think it's other fundamentals i need to work on. thanks for the help guys. if you can think of anything else, post it up.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:37am   #10
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

Start long and then go short. Variance is a little lower longhanded and you are involved in less pots. Now as you get better you may want to involve yourself in more pots to maximize profits.