THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:25pm   #1
madh83
Flop Artist

madh83
Default Getting money from micro limits

Okay, I usually play tournaments and have done fairly well at $10-30 buy-ins. I started to try the lowest NL blinds .01-.02 at a 10 person table on Ultimate Bet because I wanted to try to build from the lowest setting. But, I am having a lot of trouble playing with these people. My problem is that I cannot win any big pots(relatively speaking). When these people bet hard they usually have top pair, but they also don't have any idea about the strength of their hand, so they'll bet a set or something the same way making it hard to put them on a hand. There's also a ton of min raising and min-reraising going on. Even when they do have the nuts they play so weakly that I can't tell anything. The end result is that I can only win a decent amount when I have the nuts or close and someone else has a slightly worse hand. Even then, a few times when they'd call me with top pair while I have a set they manage to make a bigger set on the turn or river. I am getting extremely annoyed with this because the play here is so tedious and unprofitable. If anyone could give me some advice on playing profitably at micro limits I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by madh83; Aug 20, 2006 at 8:30pm.
madh83 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:34pm   #2
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

If you're not making money hand over fist (from a bb/100 standpoint) while playing $0.01/$0.02, it's time for a self-inventory. As much as you might hate hearing this, it sounds to me like you've probably got a few leaks in your game but choose instead to point out faults in your opponents rather than yourself.

A few general things you might want to try doing:

1. Make larger value bets
2. See more flops if you can get in for cheap, because if you hit the flop well, your chances of getting paid off are significantly higher than they would be in a much pricier game.
3. Don't get caught up in a pattern of logic that your opponents are idiots. Believe it or not, they are real people sitting behind real computers who REALLY believe that what they are doing at the poker table is a good way to play poker. No one ever wants to admit they have no idea what they are doing and are thus just hemmoraging money. Most players believe that their strategy is sound and that they should therefore expect to win money. Stay mindful of all of this while sitting at the table. Your mission is to respect your opponents enough to realize that you might need to process a few ideas about the best way to take THEIR money. Playing inside-the-box standard ass poker might not always get the job done. It sounds like it's not.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:50pm   #3
madh83
Flop Artist

madh83

Not to sound arrogant and really right now I certainly don't feel that way, but I really haven't felt like I've done much wrong. I do bet enough so that my EV is positive when I flop a nice hand. I'll start taking a note of when I loose and put up a few hands in this thread so maybe I can get some more input. Is there alink for a site to record all my hands?

Last edited by madh83; Aug 20, 2006 at 8:54pm.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:25pm   #4
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

Trying playing the 6-max .01/.02 games, if you're not destroying that, then seriously, without any disrespect, you're doing something wrong.
KHSPoker21 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:39pm   #5
madh83
Flop Artist

madh83

Getting Hand History Information...
----------------------------------------------------------------

Hand #34296291-3822 at Depoe Bay (No Limit Hold'em)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 20/Aug/06 16:34:23

little bemis is at seat 0 with $3.09.
MarkM830 is at seat 4 with $1.12.
chipstalker2 is at seat 5 with $.90.
Me is at seat 6 with $2.24.
jay024_2k2 is at seat 7 with $.98.
Av8tor Doc is at seat 8 with $.94.
Stiggo is at seat 9 with $.87.
The button is at seat 4.

chipstalker2 posts the small blind of $.01.
Me posts the big blind of $.02.

little bemis: -- --
MarkM830: -- --
chipstalker2: -- --
Me: 2h Th
jay024_2k2: -- --
Av8tor Doc: -- --
Stiggo: -- --

Pre-flop:

jay024_2k2 folds. Av8tor Doc raises to $.04. Stiggo
calls. little bemis calls. MarkM830 calls.
chipstalker2 calls. Me calls.

Flop (board: 7h Ts 2c):

chipstalker2 bets $.02. Me raises to $.15.
Av8tor Doc folds. Stiggo folds. little bemis folds.
MarkM830 folds. chipstalker2 re-raises to $.69.
Me re-raises to $1.23. chipstalker2 goes all-in
for $.86. Me is returned $.37 (uncalled).

Turn (board: 7h Ts 2c 7c):

(no action in this round)

River (board: 7h Ts 2c 7c 5d):

(no action in this round)
How would you have played this?

Last edited by madh83; Aug 20, 2006 at 9:43pm.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:10pm   #6
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Quote:
Originally Posted by madh83 View Post
How would you have played this?
What do you think? (Largely) exactly how you did. Let's not let this turn into a bad beat thread. You came here looking for help, I (and surely a few others yet to come) are trying to help you, and your only reply is "I'm not doing much wrong" followed by a bad beat post.

Post a hand history where you are honestly not sure how to play it and maybe we can make some progress.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:39pm   #7
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

Your post is kind of contradicting your previous post. You got the big pot you wanted.

But that's besides the point, you simply have to put aggression to the max and bet every single pot, against maniacs, open up your game and take flops in position from them and stack them. They'll willingly give it to you.

The good thing about 6-max is there's less players to keep track of, and you can find out what type of player they are through quicker means. Bet into calling stations, raise maniacs.

Last edited by KHSPoker21; Aug 20, 2006 at 10:42pm.
KHSPoker21 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:33pm   #8
madh83
Flop Artist

madh83

Thanks for your reply guys, if I'm sounding annoyed then I apologize and it wasn't my intention. But those are honestly the type of hands where I'm loosing on, and it turned out not to be a bad beat because the guy had 10, 7 from the flop. I posted it because I really don't see the problem with my play there, but those are the hands that i'm loosing money on. I'll see if i can find one that's a little more iffy on my side though. Again, I do appreciate the input and am not trying to simply put up bad beats here. I'll also take a crack at the 6 person games like you mentioned.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:06am   #9
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

Overbet your good hands. Bet 1/3 of the pot when you flop the draw to try and give yourself a good price. Go All-in on the river when you have the nuts, no matter how big the pot is.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:54pm   #10
madh83
Flop Artist

madh83

I agree with you and I often tend to bet more aggresively than that, If I have a OESD or one card left on a flush draw I'll usually bet the pot. I did use to bet all in on the river but have yet to be called so I made the river bets a bit smaller. I was actually worried I'm risking too much when I could get similar results with lower bets. Then again, I suppose I wouldn't be getting paid when I hit my draws if i was less aggressive though.