THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:32pm   #11
ubtrippps
Brunson

ubtrippps

couple of things man, i don't know how much ring game experience you have but i had trouble adjusting my style from tourny play at first. Play supertight. Someone will pay you. I was always racing blinds that never went up and as a result not profiting by better hand selection than my opponents.
Second, like someone suggested above, try shorthanded. Another option is to play Fort Mcmurray,(no max buyin,slightly more textbook players)
Third, and most profitable, download ultimatebuddy and keep track of the donks, tilters, and otherwise braindead. Follow them around.
As a sidenote , there are some fairly decent players at the penny tables who ,for one reason or another, choose to stay there. Don't assume just because you are at microlimit your opponent can't tell his hole cards from his left elbow. A few can and are more than willing to trap you for your stack

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:52pm   #12
strewgs
Doyle Look-alike

strewgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by madh83 View Post
I agree with you and I often tend to bet more aggresively than that, If I have a OESD or one card left on a flush draw I'll usually bet the pot.
1/3 pot bets on draws as XA said will do the same as a pot bet and you will save some $ when you don't hit. People not paying attention odds will fold or call based on THEIR hand whether it is a pot bet or just a 1/3 bet so you will still win a few pots right then and there just by being aggressive if they have not yet hit the board. Obvious example I know but...if the pot is $1.20 and you miss your draw with a 1/3 bet you have saved $0.80 over a pot bet. These add up after a while as I'm sure you know. 1/3 is also about the odds to call a OESD or FD so you are getting the draw for the right price.
strewgs est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 2:26am   #13
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

personally I would have folded when he checked raised,Ub players are generally rocks,as you've noticed,and with his check raise AI I would have put him on a set;but then I also would not have played T2s and if I did I would have some out swinging with pot size bets.

Why do people keep typing "GG" when I go AI in the short stack with 72o?
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 4:08pm   #14
IronLen1972
Degenerate

IronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant future
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I crushed the micro limit games at UB by being very ABC. I only played AA, KK, AK and QQ. And I mean only, no exceptions. If I was on the BB I only played the hand unraised and only continued if I hit the nuts or so close to it I could see heaven from the hill. I raised from any position 10x the blinds and got action roughly 75% of the time. I then pot bet the flop, turn and river depending on flop, watch out for scare cards etc. My return on investment was insane. I also played usually 4-6 tables at a time, and ignored tells for the most part, players for a large part, and felt very guilty almost all the time because I was playing very badly (admittedly). Against any other limits or tables this strategy would have you collecting blinds I'd think. I invested $75, cashed out $300 or so, then went on a freeroll jag to practice MTT tournaments (which I am still on lol). Anyways, to beat low limit tables feel free to try this strategy. I also read about a poison cards theory that I would like to try, that being treat any starting hand with a card below a ten as "poisoned" and not playable. I may toss $50 onto Party Poker and give it a weekend and track the results. Will post if I do. Even pocket pairs. Not sure how this works in practice. There is no set way to guarantee making money at poker but it did work for me over a one week period.

My two cents.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 4:55pm   #15
madh83
Flop Artist

madh83

wow, thank you folks for the great advice. I won't be able to get on back onto UB until this weekend but from what the games were like as I recall your advice sounds dead on and should work pretty well.
madh83 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:57pm   #16
rcb17
Grinder

rcb17 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rcb17 Send a message via Skype™ to rcb17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLen1972 View Post
I crushed the micro limit games at UB by being very ABC. I only played AA, KK, AK and QQ. And I mean only, no exceptions. If I was on the BB I only played the hand unraised and only continued if I hit the nuts or so close to it I could see heaven from the hill. I raised from any position 10x the blinds and got action roughly 75% of the time. I then pot bet the flop, turn and river depending on flop, watch out for scare cards etc. My return on investment was insane. I also played usually 4-6 tables at a time, and ignored tells for the most part, players for a large part, and felt very guilty almost all the time because I was playing very badly (admittedly). Against any other limits or tables this strategy would have you collecting blinds I'd think.

[...]

I also read about a poison cards theory that I would like to try, that being treat any starting hand with a card below a ten as "poisoned" and not playable. I may toss $50 onto Party Poker and give it a weekend and track the results. Will post if I do. Even pocket pairs. Not sure how this works in practice.
About a month ago I moved to a similar strategy for micro limit ring games, only I added limping in with all pairs 10 or lower, hoping to hit a set. I really need to add Jacks to that list, I've overplayed them to my detriment a lot. Also I push hard preflop with AQ.

I'm tracking this system through PT to see where the leaks are with it, but so far so good.

Michigan WHO? 34-32!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rBzoXqCEnA
rcb17 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:54am   #17
tjankus
River Rat

tjankus is on a distinguished road

Hello,

i still cannot get rid of these INCREDIBLE bad beats. i play $.01/.02 on different sites, but in general it's the same thing. I like math much, but it doesn't help me in any way to be a winning player. I lost about $20 today (pretty much at this limit), the last hand who killed me was KcTc, i got two top pairs on a rainbow flop (Kd 9c 10s) and raised allin ($1.60 while there was a half of that amount already in pot) fearing for a straight draw. Three other players called. The winner had Ad 6d, that was absolutely nothing at the time, but he got diamonds on turn AND river, the other two guys had nothing but a single pair each. I think this winner had smt about 1/20 chance of getting this flush and i had 1/6 to hit full house either on turn or river? This would be nice example of bad beat, but it happens all the time. They take 19 hands like this out of 20 (they did it today, believe me or not. They did beat my straights with flushes, flushes with houses, i even flopped JJJQQ with JQ and they did it again getting JJJAA on the river, i think i didn't win a single bigger pot, though when betting, my hand was the best 95% of the time). I even started thinking that my math is wrong, or smt? I can lose $200 in a week this way, and i would if i kept playing, but i DO NOT want to. I win small pots with TPTK and similar hands, but when i lose a single big one with the flopped nut straight to the rivered flush, i end up losing.

I can't take it anymore. Will take a rest for a couple days.

Playing with AA KK AK only, doesn't help at all, it only wastes your time. I know when i flopped the best hand, i know when i should draw and when i shouldn't, i know a lot of other aspects, but i cannot figure out how on earth do they win 20 hands in a row with a winning percentage of 4-5%?! I cannot find out how to fight this... I am a losing player after about 100 hours of play. I do not think this is normal :-/

Do you know any working cure for this?
tjankus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:17am   #18
tjankus
River Rat

tjankus is on a distinguished road

by the way, to mention. i am doing pretty well in freeroll MTTs. last week i took 3rd place out of 1000, got a seat to the final of 5K freeroll and finished 14th out of 198, got $55 in apx. ten hours of play. if we take 10 MTTs that would be four final tables, four 10-30th places and only a couple finishes in other places. I'm playing a lot of MTTs for about two monthes.

Maybe i should just forget playing ring games?
tjankus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote