THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

View Poll Results: What was your biggest mistake starting out in real money?
Playing too many hands. 12 26.67%
Playing a limit too high for your bankroll. 19 42.22%
Playing too conservatively. 7 15.56%
Some other reason. (please explain in post). 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:42pm   #1
strewgs
Doyle Look-alike

strewgs
Default What was your biggest (dumbest) mistake when you first started playing for real?

I think I'll put this in a poll format. I'm starting this thread with the intention of 1) reading some amusing stories 2) compiling a list for players that are new to the real money games so they may not make the same mistakes. My opinion is that reading theory and strategy is absolutely necessary but often we learn more by not repeating the mistakes of our peers.
strewgs est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:54pm   #2
strewgs
Doyle Look-alike

strewgs

I shutter to think that with my first $50 on party I played 1/2 Limit. I remember about 5 hands into the game I called the BB with Q/9o and hit a QQ9 board and won nearly $50. I recall thinking, wow this is pretty easy and I moved up to 2/4 where I had a run of good luck and was over $250 after my first day. I was like wow, if I can make $200 / day I can quit my job!!! What a fucking donkey. Anyway as I'm sure you can guess I went broke and started about a year later at tigergaming with $50 after reading alot of strategy and learned about bankroll management. I started at $5NL and never looked back. Over 2K now with only playing a limited amount of time (couple hours a week at most). I still laugh about my 1 week on party poker.
strewgs est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:32am   #3
Seraph
Krusnik

Seraph is a glorious beacon of lightSeraph is a glorious beacon of lightSeraph is a glorious beacon of lightSeraph is a glorious beacon of lightSeraph is a glorious beacon of light

I played too many hands.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:44am   #4
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Got 6 Aces will become famous soon enoughGot 6 Aces will become famous soon enough

Taking $100 of my $113 bankroll to the $100NL tables and going all in twice in a row while drunk. Needless to say i lost the second time.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:44am   #5
Omulae
Flop Artist

Omulae is on a distinguished road

I thought that a straight A,2,3,4,5 was better then a straight 2,3,4,5,6 ... or well i thought it was an ACE HIGH! straight.
Omulae est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:04am   #6
Skid 1
Doyle Look-alike

Skid 1
Default Skid 1's Mistake

My biggest mistake was "PLAYING AT THE SAME ONLINE POKER SITE FOR TOO LONG"......I believe I was put in the "distibution mode" -----the one that they put you in after you have been there awhile.

They have this player mode intact , so they can distribute a players money out to the "newbies" a little at a time , so that the newbies will feel good about their game and stay with the site.

I have been playing online for 3 years & I'm not stupid !!

The "newbies" are givin better flops in the beginning & when you see that -- AA vs. KK -- (as we all know happens very frequently online).......you can bet the AA belongs to the newbie.

And when the "Super Rake" hands are put into force & you have QQ vs. KK and the little newbie across the table has 7-9 spades & a dream........You can also bet the house that the flop will produce 2 spades....if not 3.......and the hand will go flush & the house will take that big rake , all the while leaving the newbie happy........believe me --they want them to stay ( to hook them in , so after they are there awhile , they will be put in the distribution mode themselves ) - - - - - so they will re-load over & over again.

You can also call me crazy.......but track it for yourself and you will soon find out that those random # generators are full of distribution programs.

Thanks for Listening & You can Cuss Me At WiLL..............But I Will Never Believe Different !!
Skid 1 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:22am   #7
Xigol
Grinder

Xigol
Send a message via MSN to Xigol

I dont know what site u played at, but when i started i didnt hit bs hands or anything. Lost lots.
Xigol est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:43am   #8
jds2381
Professional

jds2381 will become famous soon enough

deposit $50 on stars......win a $10 sng......I'm rich......whew hew......couple $50 HU..........damn were did my money go? yeah I was drunk too. So I guess my answer is.....dumbest thing, definately playing drunk. Now when I'm drunk I just post dumb shit on here instead of play poker.......it's alot cheaper.
jds2381 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:14am   #9
cuca
Doyle Look-alike

cuca

I tried multitabling too early. I was -EV doing so, and my losses caused a massive downswing, followed by a long tilt. It took me a month of not playing at all to be able to play my A-game again.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:15am   #10
Grinder
Brunson

Grinder

Quote:
They have this player mode intact , so they can distribute a players money out to the "newbies" a little at a time , so that the newbies will feel good about their game and stay with the site.
You are on crack right? That sounds like what 2+2 was always saying 8 years ago when I started playing online. Totally 100% wrong and I PRAY TO GOD it was a joke.

IN CASE it was not. The reason you FEEL this way is easy to explain.

When a new player gets online for the first time he will win a lot or lose a lot or break even right?

He is not a good player so the chances he will lose are pretty good, when he DOES lose you never see him a gain. RARLY will a new player lost $1000 before he stops playing.

OR - he will win $1000 playing badly be up because of variance and then lady luck will pull the plug and he will lose a ton and blame it on the poker site.

IF you TRULY believe what you said you don't have a clue about poker. That post is 100% BS. I WISH it was true because I have over 40 Poker accounts in my 8 years and have not seen this yet.
Grinder est déconnecté   Reply With Quote