THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Aug 27, 2006, 6:41pm   #1
shads
public enemy

shads will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to shads Send a message via Skype™ to shads
Default $100NL HU vs solid player

My opponent is a solid multitabler who has 20 / 9.5 / 1.9 over 80 hands, he seems to be milking the other weak players and I haven't had a confrontation with him yet.

My image would be one of a tight player (I had similar stats to my opponent on this particular table) however we had played a few hands of HU where I had played loose aggressive but had to fold a couple of hands to his reraises.

Just a side note; some people may say fold 24s PF but I'd prefer to concentrate on the post flop play, cheers.

PokerStars Game #6071217886: Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1.00) - 2006/08/27 - 14:19:33 (ET)
Table 'Eros IV' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: hAAdooken ($111.60 in chips)
Seat 5: Shads59 ($206.30 in chips)
Shads59: posts small blind $0.50
hAAdooken: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Shads59 [2d 4d]
Shads59: calls $0.50
hAAdooken: checks
*** FLOP *** [5h 9d Td]
Shads59: bets $2
hAAdooken: raises $2 to $4
Shads59: calls $2
*** TURN *** [5h 9d Td] [4c]
Shads59: checks
hAAdooken: checks
*** RIVER *** [5h 9d Td 4c] [5d]
Shads59: bets $5
hAAdooken: raises $5 to $10
Shads59: ???

http://shadspoker.blogspot.com/
shads est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 27, 2006, 6:46pm   #2
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

Those minimum raises are really fishy, any idea on what kind of hands he's done that with before? That would give us a better indication of his range.

As for the play, it's pretty standard. Lead the flop, mini-raise, call.

Check on the turn signals a draw of some sort and it very well could be a diamond draw or maybe he had a OESD on the flop.

The river, i'd call it here, not a lot of hands you can beat but you're getting good odds with a showdown hand.
KHSPoker21 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 6:51pm   #3
shads
public enemy

I have no real read on the min raise, he has used it occasionlly as well as larger sized raises.

Old Aug 27, 2006, 6:53pm   #4
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

Ah, that's unfortunate. Given the lack of information, I'd just call that river.
KHSPoker21 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:29pm   #5
MannyIsGod
Professional

MannyIsGod
Send a message via AIM to MannyIsGod

Just call, what calls a raise that you beat? 2 pair doesn't. 3 fives might, but if he's solid he probably lays it down considering the pot isn't all that big right now.

I think he was bluffing, so just call and take down the pot and some very valuable info.
MannyIsGod est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:33pm   #6
MannyIsGod
Professional

MannyIsGod
Send a message via AIM to MannyIsGod

btw, I have no problem with this call HU preflop. You're good enough to play it well post flop, Shads.
MannyIsGod est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:54pm   #7
thespoil
Doyle Look-alike

thespoil

River is an easy call. Our hand is good here often.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:15pm   #8
shads
public enemy

Thanks for the input guys, I posted this on 2 forums and unfortunately I got different answers - the other said to fold. Unfortunately we will never know which was right because I folded.

I just couldn't see any of his likely holdings that I beat, at the time I was pretty damn sure he had a higher flush - standard raise on the flop then check the turn for a free card and make a raise on the river that he has to expect that I call - good players don't give good pot odds without monsters. Aside from the flush he could have played a set or 2 pair that way hoping to milk me on the river by not betting the turn and just made a boat.

Personally I don't see him having the 5, this guy was playing multiple tables and I don't think he would have enough of a read on me to start making moves with a 5 on the flop.

So there we go, it may well have been a poor fold on my part given the pot odds but that was partly what lead me to fold in the first place. One thing that might have changed my mind if I had thought about it at the time was what Manny said about calling for information - that could have been a great time to see what was going on and allow me to make better decisions in the future.

Anyway thanks for the replies.

Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:44pm   #9
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

I really think that betting has no value here, so a check I feel is better. It keeps the pot small and lets hm bluff some hands. The only way a bet work is as a blocking bet and while you might be getting great odds here, you probably should fold here. If it's a bluff, then it's a bad one and his previous play does make sense for a 5.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:49pm   #10
shads
public enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA_kid View Post
I really think that betting has no value here, so a check I feel is better. It keeps the pot small and lets hm bluff some hands. The only way a bet work is as a blocking bet and while you might be getting great odds here, you probably should fold here. If it's a bluff, then it's a bad one and his previous play does make sense for a 5.
I must admit I had never thought of checking the river - nice idea XA. Unfortunately I'm confused about the last part of your post; your saying that I should fold even though his play makes sense for a 5?