THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:26pm   #1
KrappyKonnect
Professional

KrappyKonnect will become famous soon enough
Default Big Slick early on

Hey guys, I have been playing $3.40 SNG turbos on pokerstars, and have been kind of confused on how to play big slick early in the tournament. Can someone give me ideas about how to play it out of position and in position and if you miss the flop. Ill just show you a play that I made that I thought was really bad(still worked)

Seat 1: suundance (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: IKILLM4U (1490 in chips)
Seat 3: $pani$hFly (2840 in chips)
Seat 4: EvilArla (1590 in chips)
Seat 5: ethidium1 (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: Landshark188 (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: booth&murp (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: buzzard1881 (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: Ford31 (1480 in chips)
Seat 10: kdogspeed (100 in chips)
EvilArla: posts small blind 10
ethidium1: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to buzzard1881 [Ad Kh]
Landshark188: calls 20
booth&murp: raises 20 to 40
buzzard1881: raises 210 to 250
Ford31: folds
kdogspeed: folds
suundance: folds
IKILLM4U: folds
$pani$hFly: folds
EvilArla: folds
ethidium1: folds
Landshark188: folds
booth&murp: calls 210
*** FLOP *** [6h 7s 7h]
booth&murp: bets 60
buzzard1881: calls 60
*** TURN *** [6h 7s 7h] [4s]
booth&murp: bets 60
buzzard1881: raises 180 to 240
booth&murp: calls 180
*** RIVER *** [6h 7s 7h 4s] [Jd]
booth&murp: checks
buzzard1881: bets 950 and is all-in
booth&murp: folds
buzzard1881 collected 1150 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1150 | Rake 0
Board [6h 7s 7h 4s Jd]

The reasoning I Did that was because I thought if I reraised his small bets I could see where im at, and when he just checked it to me I thought that he wouldnt be able to call an all in...was this a bad play, and do you have any other better plays you could do when you miss the flop with AK suited
KrappyKonnect est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:06am   #2
Grinder
Brunson

Grinder

Early in a SNG I'll limp in with anything except huge pocket pairs. The goal is to make it through the early hands untouched with a loss.

My thinking is that while a raise might drop the field you will not WIN that much but have a chance to lose a ton. So I'll limp in and if I hit THEN I can take down a larger pot.

Also - as in your case - what if you raise, get called and THEN miss,

I play ultra conservative until I'm in the money! Then I go maniac! Normally takes players 4 or 5 hands torealize that this little mouse has turned on them and is raising with anything.
Grinder est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:46pm   #3
MuskyMikePGH
Flop Artist

MuskyMikePGH
Send a message via Yahoo to MuskyMikePGH

a raise to 250?? usually ill just raise 3-5 1/2 x's the bb with AK, cbet if i miss, check the turn if he called the cbet. it depends on if i think he has something that hes willing to call me down with...i wont keep trying to force him out. early in sng's i tend to play pretty tight until it gets down to 5 players or so, then ill get more agg. with 4 or 5 people left, people will generally tighten up because they are close and dont wanna miss out on the money.
MuskyMikePGH est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:10pm   #4
mr blonde
shortstack assassin

mr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura about

I don't think the pre-flop raise was bad. If your going to play AK out of position you want to raise enough to encourage everyone to fold. But getting called can be scary.

I think you were pretty ballsy with this one but you made an excellent read and took advantage of it. I don't think you did anything wrong.

mr blonde est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:08pm   #5
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

I do think the pre-flop raise a little steep - if you would have folded to a push in this spot (and I would with AK first level of an SNG - no need to take a coin flip at that point) then there really is no need to re-raise quite that amount.

Conversely, your turn raise isn't putting him off. If you had thought that much about pushing yourself, that's the spot to do it. You're beat if he calls with a made hand anyhow, but you want it to be HIS mistake not yours if he's calling that turn with (eg) AQ spades.

Credit where it's due at the river though - if you read him right as holding AK or AQ also. First level of an SNG though, with 950 chips left, I'd be checking behind that - you're only called if you're beat. I think on balance you'd lose more there than you win in that spot.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:49pm   #6
KrappyKonnect
Professional

KrappyKonnect will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskyMikePGH View Post
a raise to 250?? usually ill just raise 3-5 1/2 x's the bb with AK, cbet if i miss, check the turn if he called the cbet. it depends on if i think he has something that hes willing to call me down with...i wont keep trying to force him out. early in sng's i tend to play pretty tight until it gets down to 5 players or so, then ill get more agg. with 4 or 5 people left, people will generally tighten up because they are close and dont wanna miss out on the money.

Betting 60-100 is going to get 4 callers, and that could pick up some trouble for me, but I think next time Ill just raise 100 left and let it go if I miss, I dont really like limping because Id rather just muck it if 6 people call. Drawing hands are better then AK with that many people in there
KrappyKonnect est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:47pm   #7
expopcorn
Professional

expopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrappyKonnect View Post
Drawing hands are better then AK with that many people in there
Just for info AK is a drawing hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
it's rather ironic that scenes like this are best accompanied by the eating of popcorn.
expopcorn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2006, 11:23pm   #8
Julie_Gardner
Fish

Julie_Gardner is on a distinguished road

I agree with a previous poster who said he would limp with almost anything in the early stages of the tournament. This is true for the very early stages, but if you are on a somewhat passive table, you will want to start raising in late position and stealing blinds etc. to amass a larger stack -- if you limp into the money with a very small strack you usually won't get that far.

Also, AK is a drawing hand so definitely don't risk too much of your stack preflop unless you have a chance to take some significant blinds. I think the key in the early and middle stages is to be aggressive, but just don't risk too much of your stack on any one hand. I will think about a certain portion of my stack as pretty much sacrosanct (say 10BB at a certain point in the tournament)and the rest I will use in a semi-aggressive style to steal blinds, push a decent hand, etc.
Julie_Gardner est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2006, 10:33am   #9
Johnny
Flop Artist

Johnny

I don't think that limping with almost everything in the early stages is a very good idea. It usually just brings you into undesired situations.
Johnny est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:24pm   #10
mr blonde
shortstack assassin

mr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I don't think that limping with almost everything in the early stages is a very good idea. It usually just brings you into undesired situations.

Your right but limping in with decent starting hands is a good idea. Hands like suited connectors, open connectors, small pocket pairs, suited Aces are nice hands to see a cheap flop with.

later in the tourney these hands should only be played with good position.

mr blonde est déconnecté   Reply With Quote