THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Sep 03, 2006, 3:48pm   #1
Unigee
Brunson

Unigee
Default Is there such thing as pre-flop skill at HU?

Hello everyone,

When two players get to a Heads Up situation, is there any skill pre-flop or is it all about post flop skill to win the match?

The reason why I ask is because the past few HU games ive played, ive only done one thing pre-flop

Raised

It doesn't matter what cards I have, at HU I will play every hand and raise everytime pre-flop.

There are two reasons for this.

1. It helps keep the game moving, especially when the stacks are about even.
2. If the other player has two ragged cards, most the time they will just fold my raise.

Eventually they realize what I am doing and will just start calling me, or even just keep re-raising me.

But by then I usually have chipped away quite a portion of their stack to give me a lead and an edge.

Now when I do this, I am literally using NO pre-flop skill. Im just raising, thats it.
Because of this I am waiting on pure luck that the flop will come my way, and if it does, this is where my skill comes into play.

Or is what I am doing actually a strategy? That I am infact using some sort of pre-flop skill to win the hands?

Just wondering your input, about if there is any pre-flop skills in HU.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Sep 03, 2006, 4:29pm   #2
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

Yes. There is preflop skill.

Yes. You are using a strategy. And the preflop skill that comes into play with your strategy is how you handle reraises.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2006, 5:10pm   #3
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

There is tremendous pre-flop skill. In fact, I would almost go on to say that there is more skill involved pre-flop than post-flop. You have to consider a lot of factor preflop which lead to post-flop play.

1) Stack Sizes
2) Passivity, Aggresiveness of the player
3) Position
4) tightness/looseness of the player
5) your cards
6) plus a little Game Theory to throw your opponents off.

What you are doing is a strategy, but you seem to be facing a lot of players with no post-flop skills or at least with set preflop strategy. If someone raised my blinds 3 times in a row, I can tell you that I will start reraising or at least calling and playing a good post-flop game.

I like to take a lot of flops headsup.
Old Sep 03, 2006, 5:40pm   #4
mr blonde
shortstack assassin

mr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura about

heads up is pretty tough, I try to mix it up a lot and just try to get all my chips in with the nuts. Sometimes I'll check or call, and most of the time I'll raise but when I get the nuts I try to get my opponent allin if I can.

It's more about situations so I'll raise with almost any hand. I notice a lot of the time my opponent will be selective and I'll take advantage of every hand. But when I'm up against a loose opponent heads up, I'll just go all in most of the time and try to get lucky.

This may not be the proper way to play but it works for me.

mr blonde est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2006, 6:41pm   #5
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

Many, if not most players, undervalue their cards pre-flop and post-flop.

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote